FACT: Quitting smoking makes me want to kill random people for fun

I agree, the smell of a smoker is nasty. The smoke residue and breath is awful. But if I smell fresh cigarette smoke, I want one.

Did anyone else who gave up smoking start getting really unpleasant dreams, and get really short amounts of sleep since they gave up?

The first week was fine, but ever since then, I’ve only been getting four hours sleep in a single go. And a lot of my dreams have been unpleasant, not quite nightmares, but unpleasant and very vivid. And I’ve been waking up instantly from them like a shock. And then when I do wake up, I have no desire to lie about waiting to get back to sleep, partly because of the dreams and partly because of the shocked awakeness. It’s not nice at all 'tall.

Are you using patches? Those things gave me trippy weird and very vivid dreams. It was rather unpleasant.

Withdrawel. It’s very normal to have hyper-imaged terrible dreams. I’ve never smoked anything, but I’ve been on insane levels of IV pain meds in the hospital. One of the worst things about coming off is the wicked dreams, waking up soaking wet and freezing. It’s why I need to be crippled in pain before I head to the hospital. It’s hell all around.

Don’t worry the dreams will get better, but expect to have them for a few weeks while your dopamine levels adjust.

Withdrawal or Chantix, either one. Chantix definitely does this, withdrawal is just futzing with your sleep. You’re probably getting deeper sleep due to better breathing, and aren’t able to handle the vividness of the dreams. It’ll all work out, stick with it!

H.

It’s because you’re resisting the ads the tobacco companies are beaming into your brain.

Withdrawal is a subjective experience. I’m now cigarette free for 3 years, that means I have not smoked a single one during that time. I have the occasional bong, we smoke our stuff with added tobacco here however. Thus I think I am still somewhat addicted to nicotine.

Sucks.

Why in god’s name would you add tobacco to the bowl on a bong? Good grief.

I have been cigarette free for 9 days now and I still want to kill people. The first 4 days were horrible, I hardly spoke to anyone.

This sucks, I loved smoking. The extra money is nice though, for the first couple months I’m spoiling myself with it. Last week it was WH40k stuff, this week it’ll be Space Hulk (with any luck) or more 40k toys.

Painting minis was a decent way to quit. It kept my hands and mind busy.

I loved smoking too. I particularly like how it gave me an excuse to get our of the office and socialize.

What really got me to quit was something I read somewhere. It went something like this-- eventually you will have to quit smoking. You can quit now, while you’re still healthy, or years later at your doctor’s orders after your heart attack or lung biopsy. Either way, you’re going to have to quit.

I’m tobacco free after 2 months and I still want to kill people - just less frequently.

The extra cash is signficant, about $20/ week or $80/month for me at least.

Read the book, people. I’d still be smoking without it. Total genius.

Edit: Yes, I have to bring this up every time a new ex-smoker comes into this thread. Because it’s that important.

It is a cultural thing, also born out of pure necessity. The last couple of decades we mainly got our stuff from the beautiful country of Morocco.

Hash.

Smoking pure hash is not to be recommended, so we mix with tobacco.

The last couple of years it got somewhat better with weed, but still we mix with tobacco.

Addicted…to…nicotine.

Sucks.

3 weeks without smoking now. Been smoking cigarettes for more than 25 years, and I am still having a pretty hard time. The 3 weeks mark have seen significant improvement to my withdrawal symptoms though.

I still occasionally wants to kill people - and I am pretty sure, that quite often people wants to kill me too. More so, than when I was smoking, that is.

My biggest problem is I’m chewing the crap out of pens and pencils. When does that stop? (i’m not a huge fan of chewing gum).

I got pissed last night and had a smoke, it tasted horrible and hurt my throat. That pissed me off even more. So, I ordered Allen Carr’s book. Hopefully it’ll be the kick in the ass I need as I really don’t want to relapse at this point, the cravings get so bad at times though.

I’m a cranky person by default so this is really hard to do without becoming a complete asshole (short trip).

Tman, a close friend of mine quit 3 years ago after smoking for 15 and assures me the fidgeting will subside after a couple months. He says he still feels like he’s forgetting something when he walks out the door sometimes though. I told him that’s because he is.

My biggest problem is the mouth watering. I’m approaching 2 weeks now and still feel like I’m drooling half the time.

I have been smoking on and off (mostly on) for the past 14 years. I quit again last November and stayed quit for 35 days, but relapsed before Christmas. Stupid.

Having my new last smoke tomorrow morning then I’m going on the wagon again. That includes smoking (of all sorts), and alcohol (which leads to smoking for me). If it goes well, I may just become a mormon since I’ll be halfway there already.

EDIT:

Thanks for this, going to pick it up tomorrow. A friend tells me there is also an audiobook version, which I’ll put on my iphone and listen to while smoking… er… going to sleep.

Thanks!

Man, flipping through the free pages leaves me pretty cold on that book. It sounds like self-congratulatory crap from a guy with absolutely no reign on his emotions, an “I found Jesus!” book. As a casual smoker you’re just not getting the right negative feedback on it that you need. In order to quit you must first hate smoking.

You have to figure out how to do that on your own, I quit after 17 years of pack-a-day and had a lot of health problems to egg me on, but the primary factor was hating it and the people who did it. They are weak, terrible, inconsiderate assholes that belong in a trailer park because they’re too stupid not to play dice with cancer. That’s what worked for me (and I include some close family in that group) I didn’t want to be stupid any more.

H.

Does that kind of thinking extend to all kinds of addicts?

Glad you found something that worked, you should write a book. In the meantime, with nothing to lose, I’m giving this guy a shot.