Faëria - online strategy card game

Wait, this is a deck builder (like Dominion)? Not deck construction? I thought this was just a Heathstone-a-like… that’s a big detail I overlooked.

EDIT: Boo - it doesn’t appear to be a deckbuilder afterall. I was all excited :(

Oops. A little loose about my terms. Sorry about that.

I would say that of all of those , this one is the least like Hearthstone.

It’s not without problems- to me the big one is the combo of low deck sizes+ 3 copies of a card legal for most cards means you see a lot of very lopsided matchups.

Oh, yeah, they have a Recruit a Friend thing where we both get stuff if you play and like it enough to level up. So if anybody is interested, PM me your email and I’ll send you the sign up link.

Program details here.

I haven’t played a lot of constructed, so I can’t really speak to this, but you should give Pandora a try if you haven’t. Drafting avoids that problem (pretty much). It’s my go-to mode.

It’s a fun diversion, but some of the pandora cards can make it silly. They’re intentionally broken- though they did balance it out some- Hammer of the Gods used to be almost an autowin.

I agree that it’s not ideal. I’ve given them feedback that I’d like a pure draft mode in addition to Pandora, so I’m sure they’re getting right on it. :)

But it’s still got that drafting spark of making the best of what you’re given, so I keep coming back to it.

I pretty much play Pandora exclusively, for the multiplayer at least. I’m also genuinely not very good. My best ever Pandora run, out of perhaps 20 total, was 6 wins before I reached the 3 losses. I don’t average anything better than a 1:1 win rate. I still enjoy it!

I dabbled with a little constructed but am simply not willing to invest lots of time and effort in learning the nuances in the way I would have done in younger years with a little more free time. I might try out some deck designs created by other players, the Faeria hub appears like a good place to pick those up.

No worries, I took the goop out of my eyes and paid attention to the Monster Slayers thread which turns out to be what I was looking for!

I started playing over the weekend. Sorry I didn’t ask any of you to sponsor me or whatever it is that gets us both free stuff. I just jumped in.

It’s an enjoyable game. So far I’m chewing through the single-player stuff and since I’m still learning the game, it’s keeping my attention. I especially like the puzzle missions.

The game does a good job of rewarding players with free cards and gold to buy cards. I can see that if I decide to keep with it I’ll throw some money at it to accelerate my card acquisition (I already spent $10 to get the one-time selection of gems and cosmetics to I could complete a daily quest).

The game reminds me a bit of an old CCG I played that also used a game world and card movement and positioning, Sanctum.

I made the mistake of buying a couple of epic packs of cards with my gems. I didn’t realize that they were just cards with fancy borders. I thought I got some types of cards I couldn’t get otherwise. It now seems like the best use of the gems is to buy mission packs? Or should I just buy a pack of cards with the gems? Am I missing anything? I don’t care about the cosmetic stuff.

you’d want the oversky stuff because it has the broken flower card. The oversky stuff is in general the more powerful cards.

So, practice runs with Pandora? Is there any advantage to winning three vs. losing two? I wonder if I can just start a match and resign, and then repeat and get my 1/3rd of a token credit if I don’t feel like playing?

You win three with pandora you get 1/3 of a pandora coin. Win 3 three times you get a free pandora run. Might as well play out the free Pandora run to see if you can win more.

Oh ok. I thought you got the 1/3 coin win or lose. It does make sense to play to win. Do you get XP also?

you do.

I really like this game and play it daily to get my daily win in and get the gold, etc.

Tonight I just played a Pandora practice game and went up against a dude with Hitler as part of his name. That really bothered me. I played the game (lost) and then emailed the company behind it and asked them to tell the guy to change his name. If they don’t respond in a positive way I’m done and deleting the game. There’s too much bad stuff already with tolerance of extreme right-wing sympathies, even if this guy’s name was a joke name.

Good for you. I can’t abide that sort of crap and I have no patience for any publisher that allows it.

-Tom

Faeria just did something interesting- they went away from the F2P model back to a buy to play model.

Also touched up the game and tightened up the gameplay some, liking what I’ve been seeing.

Think “Full collection” is $25 now, with 2 expansions after that.

This has been mentioned in the Kickstarter thread, but I thought it was worth pointing out here too. Abrakam is making a roguelike card battler called Roguebook and is Kickstarting it.

If you would like to try the Roguebook alpha you can do so for 1 euro:

Roguebook

Roguebook aims to become the ultimate roguelike deckbuilder. Based on the legends of the Faeria universe.

This will get you a STEAM key for the alpha:

Limited Roguebook 1€ Pledge

In celebration of E3, get the Alpha for 1€ TODAY! We’re offering 33,333 limited Alpha pledges until Sunday, the 16th of June.

You will receive access to the Alpha version of Roguebook WITHIN 24 HOURS of making your pledge!

Why 1€ and not 1$?

Well, we’re from Belgium, that’s why. That’s how Kickstarter works. Any currency will do, though!

We appreciate your support in making Roguebook a reality.

I played some of the alpha.

It’s based on Slay the Spire, but has a number of twists.

First big twist: you play as two heroes. Using a card brings them to the front. This influences the cost of certain cards

Second twist: instead of upgrading the cards themselves, you upgrade with gems you acquire. Cards have sockets to put gems in. The cards you get from battles- they can have 0, 1, or 2 sockets, and there are events to put a socket in cards.

Third twist: the map is an overworld map, with locations on it, and kinda like One Way Heroics the edge of the map creeps up on you to force you to move forward.

These changes are all pretty good, and while I do think a commercial release would need more content, the framework for a great game is here already.

Agreed, I was just typing similar things in a separate thread. :)

There is now a roguebook thread here: