'Fahrenheit 9/11' Sets Mockumentary Record

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=529&e=1&u=/ap/20040628/ap_en_mo/box_office

LOS ANGELES - Michael Moore’s “Fahrenheit 9/11” took in a whopping $21.8 million in its first three days, becoming the first documentary ever to debut as Hollywood’s top weekend film.

If Sunday’s estimates hold when final numbers are released Monday, “Fahrenheit 9/11” would set a record in a single weekend as the top-grossing documentary ever outside of concert films and movies made for huge-screen IMAX theaters.

Adding the film’s haul at two New York City theaters where it opened Wednesday, two days earlier than the rest of the country, boosted “Fahrenheit 9/11” to $21.96 million.

Wow, dats a lot of Bush-Hataz!

It is even more impressive when you realize it only opened on 868 screens this weekend. If you compare it to Shrek 2’s opening weekend, they both made roughly the same average amount per screen. :P

Just to offer some balance, there was an article slamming the film in the Guardian this weekend.

Not much in that “rebuttal” article except repeately calling Moore an egotistical asshole who uses manipulative marketing techniques. We already knew that. I’m waiting for the point-by-point factual rebuttals, not name-calling. (One I’ve heard already is that he misrepresents the Saudis’ exodus from the US after the attacks.)
Full Disclosure: I haven’t seen the film yet.

I didn’t say it was a rebuttal of his points ;). I just offered it as an opinion on the film that wasn’t glowing, and from a left-wing newspaper as well.

Where do you see the term “Mockumentary” in there? Or are you adding it in to make a point?

Yeah, mockumentary is a different genre altogether. F9/11 is more like documentary or propoganda, depending on where you stand.

Mockumentary is what Moore calls it. Others call it documentary.

Yeah, mockumentary is a different genre altogether. F9/11 is more like documentary or propoganda, depending on where you stand.[/quote]
Best comment I’ve seen on the topic:

Like, yo, Ken Burns isn’t a documentarian! He didn’t mention ANYTHING about the people that hate baseball in his PRO-BASEBALL PARTISAN TRASH.

Wow, that’s interesting. Mockumentary is a new genre (at least new to me), but most of what I’ve seen (Mighty Wind, and the one about the dog show) has been obvious parody. If that’s what Moore calls it, I’d move F9/11 into the propoganda catagory. We’ve got to keep our genres tidy!

Yeah, and there was nothing for us Jazz hating, America loving, hot dog eating, er, Americans either!

Wow, that’s interesting. Mockumentary is a new genre (at least new to me), but most of what I’ve seen (Mighty Wind, and the one about the dog show) has been obvious parody. If that’s what Moore calls it, I’d move F9/11 into the propoganda catagory. We’ve got to keep our genres tidy![/quote]

Propaganda isn’t usually something that goes against the government, though.

I know plenty of GOPers who went or plan to go. Some of us like to critique things AFTER seeing/reading/hearing it for ourselves.

Gallant- What lies and distortions were in Baseball? That’s just a really stupid comment on the situation and betrays a serious misunderstanding of the issue.

whoosh

I haven’t actually seen Baseball. I don’t want to legitimize Burns’ polemic by giving him any attention, other than to say that I have no doubts that it glorifies baseball at the expense of other athletic ideologies. If that doesn’t qualify as distortion then I don’t know what does.

Ben, before you embarrass yourself more.
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=67&q=sarcasm

Until you can use a form of that word in a sentence, I would refrain from posting if i was you.

Chet

I get it, it’s not funny, and it’s stupid.

The serious misunderstanding is that Gallant apparently believes the prime argument against Moore is that he is biased. Really, guys, try a bit harder.

Michael Moore’s view on downloading his movie:

I don’t have a problem with people downloading the movie and sharing it with people. As long as they’re not doing it to make a profit, you know, as long as they’re not trying to make a profit off my labor. I would oppose that.

Since that’s his view and he’s fine with it, here’s a bittorrent of Fahrenheit 9/11

Moore is a disingenuous danger to this country

It’s just a movie. What a freak.