Failing Trump administration. Sad!

I’m not sure you’re following my logic - if the government is trying to hold businesses accountable for having representative diversity numbers, they should be as well.

Having the Air Force being 90% white is a travesty because it is not representative of the population it serves. This means that all facets of the hierarchy are broken because only the top are white. If you had representative of every minority, your top echelon would also be representative.

I’m pretty sure that’s just the arm of a lady, although at first glance it does look like someone with no face.

“All facets of the hierarchy are broken”? What does this arm-flailing hyperventilating proclamation even mean?

I’m thinking a Dementor.

Here she is vacationing with her family.

First off fuck you. Learn to read. Do you know what representative minorities mean? Do you know a hierarchical organization that doesn’t meet it’s representative minorities at the top, it means that every hierarchy below is broken because if you’re not getting representative at the top, then you’re not getting it at every hierarchy below the top levels.

While you may be making a good point, can we not lead off with ‘fuck you’?

He’s not making a good point, he’s babbling. When it comes to our nation’s military, while it certainly would be ideal for its demographics to reflect the greater population, equal representation is not a functional requirement. The USAF’s chain of command—its hierarchy—is showing no signs whatsoever of being “broken”.

Not to say there isn’t room for improvment. This issue has been known for a while:

I gotta agree, the only metric that matters is whether the organization can effectively prosecute our battles. Civil rights or equality isn’t really a meaningful consideration in this context.

If you could make an argument that having more minorities would make them more effective as a fighting force, that might work, but i dunno if such an argument exists.

I thought there had in the past been critiques the other way – that at least at the enlisted level, military was disproportionately black, for example. Not sure if this was accurate or a product of Vietnam-era agitprop.

Actually US business could learn a lot from the military with respect to recruiting and promoting minorities

This isn’t the most recent but it one of the more comprehensive looks at the Demographics of the military. Overall African-American are 17% of the Armed Service vs 12.6% of the population. Overall minorities are just under 1/3.
http://download.militaryonesource.mil/12038/MOS/Reports/2015-Demographics-Report.pdf

9.1% of Armed Service officers are African American and another 5% are other minorities (Hispanics are treated as white and compromise about 12% of the armed services.). The Air Force is least diverse with under 7% officer being African American.

It is worth noting that among senior enlisted E6 and above minorities are over-represented in all branches.

In corporate American nationwide black are in 6% of management positions. Frankly it is hard to compare because Corporate America does such a crappy job providing information. Only 3% provide detailed demographic information comparable to what the military provides. Intel, Apple, and more recently Google, and Facebook (Big tech despite being criticized for lack of minorities at least provides data the rest of corporate America doesn’t even bother.)

But when you compare the military and corporate for diversity in top jobs, there is no comparison. The worse service the Air Force has 20 out of 281 general are minority and 22 woman. In the Fortune 500, there are 3 black CEO, 21 women, no more than 2 dozen other minorities (I couldn’t find a good source.) Making the Air Force at least twice as good as the private sector and the Army 3-4 times better.

So if all facets of the Air Force hierarchy is broken what do you say about corporate America?

Now back to the picture. It is not something to get work over because it was not designed to a representative sample of Air Force woman. If @TomChick announced that 50 lucky QT3 had an opportunity to go the White House and meet Donald Trump, I think he’d have a hard time finding 50 of thousand of QT3 members who wanted to go. (I wouldn’t go unless Trump paid for my airfare and room). If he did manage to find 50 I’d be surprised if there were any woman, minorities, or folks under 30. Whatever picture was taken would be in no way representative of QT3.

Yeah if that’s the selection process then I think sampling bias may play a stronger role than racial bias in this case.

Edit: Though perhaps that sampling explanation doesn’t apply? This page says the photo isn’t from a whitehouse meeting, but from “annual Joint Armed Forces of Washington Luncheon (JAFOWL) on April 24”. So if it’s not “let’s meet Trump at the White House”, I don’t see as much reason for minority wives to skip the event.

I’m disappointed in you, Timex. That’s exactly the kind of that’s-just-the-way-it-has-to-be line that was used to perpetuate institutionalized discrimination in the military for decades after the Civil War. It’s can be and has been used to handwave away every kind of possible bad conduct or institutionalized injustice. “Military necessity” is the last refuge of the scoundrel, to misquote Dr. Johnson.

The enlisted infantry on the front lines - i.e. the people who did the actual fighting - was disproportionately African-American. (11% of the population, but 16% of the draftees and 23% of the combat troops - and only 2% of the officer corps.)

That’s interesting. Although it looks like it’s at the White House to me. That’s definitely Ivanka front and center, and a woman in the comment sections claims it is a different dress. Plus I’m sure that Ivanka doesn’t wear only one outfit in a day. A military spouse in the comment section also said these functions aren’t very popular, cause the women have better things to do then be photo ops for the White House.

The headline here is awesome.

“I am sure this conversation is going to leak, too,” Sanders told attendees during Friday’s meeting. “And that’s just disgusting.”

No self awareness that she lies to the American people everyday and is part of the bigoted and hateful Trump regime I see. Now THATS disgusting.

I think you are confusing the people who fly bombing missions with the guys who make clothing ads. We don’t really have diversity quotas or needs or representation problems in the Air Force. We need pilots and support staff. There is not a diversity push in the military like you might have in a sitcom cast to appeal to many groups. It’s a pragmatic job.

And here I am posting in P&R again. Damn! How do you hide an entire subforum?

One could argue that if there is no racial bias, we should start seeing similar percentages of minorities as officers and we do enlisted.

That being said, you have to remember that when it comes to progressive policies, the air force is usually lagging behind.

Sorry, couldn’t resist. Most of my friends were army brats…