Failing Trump administration. Sad!

It’s ok to campaign while under indictment, right?

Gaze upon our future president. 😬

Vote 2024: Trump(Jr) vs Clinton (Chelsea) vs Bush (whoever)

Great piece on the Conways.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/she-works-for-trump-he-cant-stand-him-this-is-life-with-kellyanne-and-george-conway/2018/08/15/3b89b82a-9b46-11e8-843b-36e177f3081c_story.html

Kellyanne invited me here because she thought it would be a good symbol for her commitment to, and the enduring strength of, the Trump presidency. The White House may be shedding staff at record speed, but this new home is a sign that Kellyanne isn’t going anywhere; that she is, in fact, flourishing.

And that may be true. But as I spent time with Kellyanne and George, I saw an alternative symbol: The Conways, like the rest of the country, have been jolted by the Trump presidency. They love each other, are exasperated by each other, talk about each other behind each other’s backs. They share a roof and live in different bunkers.

This may be the story of any marriage — partners can drive each other crazy and still stay together for 50 years — but this marriage is, in many ways, emblematic of our national political predicament, particularly on the right.

And their feud, thanks to George’s newfound Twitter hobby, is playing out for more than just the neighbors to see.

In February, CIS, a component agency of the Department of Homeland Security, amended its mission statement to no longer include the term “nation of immigrants.” It insisted the change was not done at the direction of President Trump or the White House.

The old mission statement read: “USCIS secures America’s promise as a nation of immigrants by providing accurate and useful information to our customers, granting immigration and citizenship benefits, promoting an awareness and understanding of citizenship, and ensuring the integrity of our immigration system.”

The new statement says: “U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services administers the nation’s lawful immigration system, safeguarding its integrity and promise by efficiently and fairly adjudicating requests for immigration benefits while protecting Americans, securing the homeland, and honoring our values.”

“Referring to applicants and petitioners for immigration benefits, and the beneficiaries of such applications and petitions, as ‘customers’ promotes an institutional culture that emphasizes the ultimate satisfaction of applicants and petitioners, rather than the correct adjudication of such applications and petitions according to the law. Use of the term leads to the erroneous belief that applicants and petitioners, rather than the American people, are whom we ultimately serve,” [Director Cissna] added. “All applicants and petitioners should, of course, always be treated with the greatest respect and courtesy, but we can’t forget that we serve the American people.”

Treating potential immigrants like customers? Like how major corporations treat customers?

Forgetting where most Americans came from, but not forgetting they serve them?

“It’s a cookbook!”

Everybody knows the first Americans were white. The Indian invasion was rough going, but fortunately we prevailed.

Badass.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/revoke-my-security-clearance-too-mr-president/2018/08/16/8b149b02-a178-11e8-93e3-24d1703d2a7a_story.html?utm_term=.fd8d7254c54d&noredirect=on

William H. McRaven, a retired Navy admiral, was commander of the U.S. Joint Special Operations Command from 2011 to 2014. He oversaw the 2011 Navy SEAL raid in Pakistan that killed al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden.

A good leader tries to embody the best qualities of his or her organization. A good leader sets the example for others to follow. A good leader always puts the welfare of others before himself or herself.

Your leadership, however, has shown little of these qualities. Through your actions, you have embarrassed us in the eyes of our children, humiliated us on the world stage and, worst of all, divided us as a nation.

I know basically nothing about McRaven other than what has been in articles in the past 24 hours, but for what he said there, I have to admire him.

We need to start a national movement of EVERYONE emailing the White House asking that our security clearances be removed.

Kellyanne has put a target on her head. The one unforgivable sin in Trumpland is suggesting that Donnie shouldn’t be the constant focus of the media’s attention.

Maybe she’s trying to save her marriage?

Pfftt. Whatever. Gen. McRaven, who’s he? Like most of the military, he’s just a bleeding heart libtard. He’s is so uninvited from the parade!

The GOP is so screwed. Their consistent support of Trump (even when it’s just in the form of silence) is costing them the respect and support of the military, literally the cornerstone of the modern GOP platform for decades.

I hope someone somewhere in the bowels of the Democratic Party is feverishly working on ways they can take advantage of this growing divide. There are several fantastic Democratic candidates on the November ballot who are also decorated veterans, and featuring them prominently as well as touting support for military issues like restructuring and fixing the Veteran’s Administration and repairing our ties with our NATO allies could go a long way towards convincing a lot of fence sitters to vote Democrat this cycle and beyond.

Well damn, I only wish Trump himself had withdrawn that quickly (at least the first three times.)

I spent several hours yesterday getting sucked into the internet, watching Adm. McRaven speeches. It was time well spent. Forget the whole Navy SEAL, killing Bin Laden thing. The guy is a Obama class orator.

His “make your bed” commencement speech is widely considered one of the top 10 commencement speech of all time.

His “stump speech” is a variation of 10 lessons I learned from Navy SEAL training. But I also found his speech to the UT journalism school to be extremely fascinating, as he talks about the importance of communication and leadership. He majored in journalism at UT. In the speech (it starts at 6 minutes) he talks about the importance of crisp communication. In briefing Obama on the Bin Laden raid his staff gave him 48 slides, he said no I want 5, they came back with 30. So he did his own 5 slides which he used to brief Obama.

His staff was right at one level there were lots of moving parts into the operation, but just not stuff that POTUS needed to know to make decisions. If you look at his OpEd, it was around 300 words, slightly longer than the Gettysburg address, but it was extremely powerful.

He also talked about the power of journalist to make a change, such as the Afghanistan stringer who doggedly insisted that folks killed in an airstrike innocent civilians and not Taliban. This lead to the extraordinary scene of Admiral McRaven with 2 sheep in tow asking the family of the killed for forgiveness.

Admiral McRaven recently finished a 3 year term as the Chancellor of the UT system. He was recruited to run against Gov. Abbot in Texas, but he has declined. Possibly because of health issues.

It’s no fluke that McRaven became a 4-star admiral.

Whoah, stop the presses. You were a SEAL?

Is it ok to punch grammar Nazis?

Are a SEAL?

I read it like you did, Gordon, but I think he’s saying “10 lessons” is a book or video or something.