Failing Trump administration. Sad!

Sure, but your own link shows that the GWB admin more or less successfully resisted the subpoena power and ran out the clock on the court challenge.

True, I guess we will see. I still hold that we will see Trump serve his full term, but I hoping that a second one is prevented and actual legal jeopardy for him and his family and cronies can begin.

Unlikely thought experiment: trump resigns immediately in exchange for dropping all investigations. Do you accept?

In a heartbeat.

I don’t think he would get that deal. Perhaps he could with Federal investigations, or get a pardon out the door for the same. State investigations are outside of control, however.

Yes, understood. Maybe instead of ‘unlikely’ it should have read ‘impossible’ (not unlike the physics and economic questions I used to get heh.)

And get president Pence? I fear he’s actually more competent, thus can be more successfully evil.

Maybe so, but one less mouth to feed is one less mouth to feed.

But we already HAVE President Pence. Who do you think is pushing the anti-transgender in the military stuff? He’s just doing it behind the scenes and Trump takes the (relatively light) flack. Pence’s evil is ongoing; bring it out into the light and out from behind Trump’s incompetence so that we can address it directly.

But trump’s implementations are incompetent. You’re saying a more competent implementation of the same policy is a good thing?

Trump is a criminal and the worst of America. He doesn’t deserve to be President and should be ushered out of the White House as soon as possible, if not before. I don’t care what the ramifications are.

Yes, because what we really want to teach the rich and powerful of this country is, that you can spend your life committing crimes, selling out your country, abusing women, destroying the environment, spewing racism, and taking kids away from their families and putting them in cages; and we will ensure you suffer no punishment whatsoever except you can’t be President of the United States. That will show them!

We don’t have to teach them that lesson, it’s already known and hard-wired into our society, except for the part about being President, and I’d like to get that in there.

Trump resigning and having Pence take over is likely to lead to Pence 2020.

A very real political calculus. My own feelings aside, what are Pelosi and Schumer’s thoughts? Perhaps the goal for them is not impeachment, but two years of hearings and court battles. We all know that Trump isn’t going to suddenly change. If anything, he’s going to get nuttier and nuttier.

That would be far from a given. It’s a tough row to hoe (is that how you spell it???) for a VP to become a President.

Pence would be a dead man walking as a candidate. He wouldn’t inspire Trump’s base of zealots (he’s such a dead fish it’s hard to imagine him inspiring anyone), and he has way, way too much Trumpian stench on him for the non hardcore crowd.

I wish I could share your optimism! I just remember a lot of talk about how great Pence was back at the start of this nightmare.

Being the VP of a disgraced president isn’t likely to be a real hot seller when it comes to a general election. Pence won’t be able to wash off that stank.

That’s the primary reason why the GOP continues to back Trump. On some very real level, when (not if) Trump goes down, it’s going to take the whole party with him… hell, this is even worse, after two years of their backing his increasingly terrible actions.

If that weren’t the case, they would have already supported impeaching Trump. Pence would play ball with the rest of the GOP much better, and wouldn’t be a constant distraction and embarrassment. Everyone in the GOP recognizes this. They just keep trying to prop up Trump because his collapse is going to make the GOP largely unelectable for a long time, potentially forever.

Like Goldwater and Nixon did?

The American public has such short memories, it’s amazing. Plus,denouncing Trump wholeheartedly would amount to too much of an admission of guilt for most Americans who voted for him. It won’t happen in sufficient numbers to tank the party.

Trump, frankly, is reflection of his base. He was open about who he was during the campaign and he got elected.