Fake micro SD cards from China (?) with nonsense brands swamp Amazon

I was going to reply with this too but when I attempted to do so on this listing.

I couldn’t find it. The UI is very inconsistent.

Edit. I see you have to do it from the page prior to this one.

What “category” am I supposed to drill down to?

I went on the amazon home page, typed SD card, and then my filter options where as the screenshot above showed.

I can filter by “prime” but not sold by amazon.

You have to do it in the initial search page before the product. It’s under ‘seller’

Oh my god

That is fucking idiotic

Again, for those who are unclear about this, TIL if you select a category on the search bar, before searching, you can sort by seller.

If you just type in SD card, and don’t select electronics, you can’t sort by seller.

I do not have that option. Tried 2 different browsers.

edit: Ok it shows up when I select Electronics in departments.

You can also just click into a Department in the results on the left.

This is just fucking stupid.

Why do they have their site set up like that?

When you search for SD card, it categorizes it for you on the side bar.

It shows you the category

It is not clear that it is not selected by default.

What a stupid UI problem easily fixed.

Well, thanks for the education. That is very helpful.

There is something worse. I add the Amazon seller item (SD card) as my wishlist. However, when I click to added it to my cart from my wishlist. It went back directly to the 3rd party seller!

So if I didn’t pay attention then I would’ve bought it from the 3rd party seller. This is insane.

For anyone who wants to try this. I did it with the listing above.

Wow.

That feature existed the whole time, and I had no clue, because I never choose a category before searching, nor think to click the department on the left bar.

Why do they not allow filtering by amazon only on the regular search?

I agree the review system is trash. I don’t know though how feasible fixing it would be. Technically? Sure. I am guessing though they don’t see an upside to it financially.

Oh, this reminds of the other bait/switch I got on Amazon. I bought a fairly expensive pair of over-ear headphones (Meze 99 Classics, for the record) listed as “new”, that came in clearly used condition. The box was all beaten up, the headphones just thrown in with the cord wrapped around it by hand, dusty as hell. You wanna bet I insta-returned those puppies.

Not counterfeit exactly, but you gotta be careful with these fuckers.

I love returning stuff to Amazon for those sweet $5 off Kohl’s coupons. My t-shirt collection has grown substantially the past couple of years. :)

This is a known issue, it started a couple of years ago. It was right around the time amazon cracked down on paid reviews. It was even mentioned here on Qt3.

Amazon’s response of course, makes sure you never talk about paid reviews. It depresses sales and they can’t have that.

Well, at least if you’re talking about fake SDs, $20 is a far cry from the actual expected price for an original microSD?

I nearly bought fake protein powder on Amazon priced just a few dollars under the the nearest best price. Saved by reviews and a reminder for me to always check the seller.

Amazon search is near-worthless now. It’s not just sponsored results, but tangential products that sometimes begin around the third or fourth result.

I wouldn’t go THAT far unless your primary use is a curated list. Products direct from Amazon are legit and marketplace stuff can be avoided. We just have to be aware the site doubles as a barely more formal Craigslist.