Fall 2014: XOne or PS4?

There is around 99% chance that Destiny will be on PC, and will have the best version there as always. Check out the recent interview with Polygon.

Hang on - this is on the old consoles too? I thought this was the great hope for next gen? Are there any next-gen only games yet?

Next-gen-only is an intentional decision to support 1/10 as many console owners, and is therefore a terrible prospect for any publisher. We’re going to keep seeing cross-generation games through 2015 and probably well into 2016, unless Microsoft and Sony make an active effort to cut off third-party development for 360 and PS3 early.

Never thought I’d say this, but I might be in this camp as well after E3. Definitely no PS4 or Xbox One for me this year, but might look at a PS4 in a year if there’s something - anything - besides Bloodborne.

Sure, but not much that’s any good.

The “let’s release native Vita ports of every interesting PS4 game” strategy Sony displayed at E3 really isn’t making me want to get a PS4 any time soon, and while Microsoft did show some exclusives I was interested in (Crackdown 3!), I’m not buying a $400 console for two or three games. Adding a Wii U to the PC and handhelds I already own continues to be my best choice, with a PlayStation TV also a possible purchase.

I’ll never pick up an Xbone purely because of what Microsoft tried to pedal before gamers grabbed their pitchforks. MS really screwed the pooch for me with that one. At the moment though there aren’t any exclusives that I care enough about to warrant picking up a PS4. I have my PC for almost everything at a better price and the way I want it, and I have my Vita and Nexus for gaming on the go. I’m awfully tempted by a Wii U at this stage I’ve got to say.

I have both. The Xbox One is a buggy piece of shit; the latest shit-fuckery hitting me with the Xbox One is I can no longer record game clips, when I say “Xbox Record That” it goes through the motions of recording it (shows me a notification when it starts; then when it finished) but no clip is actually saved. Used to work; now it doesn’t. This is one of many issues I’ve had with the One – the whole UI is just laggy as fuck and badly designed, the snap system is a UX nightmare, you often have to hard restart it to avoid problems due to sleep mode breaking game rendering; the controller used to constantly disconnect (this seems to have improved after the last patch), etc, etc.

Compare to the PS4 which is fast and in my experience thus far never has these horribly broken random software bugs.

On the game-front, the Xbox One’s system seller game Titanfall is a pretty decent game but suffers from terrible screen tearing, uneven fps, etc, etc; and it doesn’t even look that much better than an Xbox 360 game when compared to say Killzone or Infamous on the PS4.

Fuck the Xbox One – it is the most consistently frustrating to use console I’ve ever owned.

Still PC and Wii-U for me, but I’ll probably get a PS4 some time next year. Hopefully there’ll have been a hardware revision and/or price cut by then.

This is me too. I would like to buy one now, but there is nothing I need to play yet. (ps4, zero interest in ONE until a used model is sub $100)

Likewise. First-party stuff, two Platinum exclusives, and an emphasis on couch co-op appropriate for playing with my five-year-old add up to a pretty solid unique niche that should complement my PC.

PS4 and XB1 both seem to have massive overlap with PC, which makes them really hard to justify, especially since the PC versions of games will generally be cheaper and prettier. I don’t have anything against them, and might pick one up way down the road if enough noteworthy exclusives show up, but so far the only one to really grab my interest is Bloodborne.

It isn’t announced though, so it wont be September. I played way too much of the alpha this weekend. The game is a lot better than I was expecting.

Wii U now, Xbox One once it gets backwards compatibility (so never).

Last year, my recommendation to everyone was to wait and see how things shook out between Sony and Microsoft. If pressed, I would’ve said PS4 over XBONE based on the fact that the PS4 was obviously more powerful and cost $100 less. I waited.

Now, things aren’t as clear. Yes, the PS4 is still more powerful despite Microsoft’s assertion that developers will be getting some portion of processing power to use for their games in lieu of forced Kinect, but things have evened out in terms of price.

I’m sticking with PC, Wii U, and 3DS/Vita. I figured that combination would kind of obviate the need for a PS4/Xbone, especially since they haven’t really shown anything exclusive that strikes my fancy (or that is coming out any time soon). Maybe a few years down the line after some revisions/price cuts/exclusives, I’ll pick up a PS4.

I have them all and most of my gaming is on the ps4 (besides diablo III which I’ve mostly ignored the last few weeks). More powa for the money, no futzing around, reasonable controller now (still not quite as good as xbox), playstation plus (yes that’s a real benefit! lots of sales and good free games), vita remote play, good indie support, swappable internal hard drive though I think xbox one ups that with external drive support now, and Destiny exclusive goodies.

The only thing currently bad is my sad little friends list but I’m guessing that’s going to be an issue on either next gen platform for a bit longer. I also hate the non user replaceable dualshock 4 battery though I guessit doesn’t seem that hard to replace. Having invested in 4 of them for some epic towerfall games when my kids friends are over I want them to last.

PC is Doomed no err, no, wait a minute… Consoles R Doomed!!!

Long live the King, Long Live the PC. :)

I bought a launch day Xbone and it was a mistake.

I previously purchased the Xbox and the 360 only when there were exclusives I had to play, specifically KOTOR and Mass Effect. I should have waited on a purchase this generation using the same criteria.

That said, PS4 is the superior platform and value at this point so if I had to get one or the other right now, it would be a PS4.

Last year, I decided to skip the new gen consoles, and built myself a $1000+ Steambox. I will stick with it for this year.
(But, I will renew my PS+ subscription this winter, so a PS4 is very likely on my horizon.)

Seems like you aren’t alone. Was at one of the bigger re-sale shops (Games, electronics, music, etc.) in Dallas today and they were advertising used Xbones for $329, Xbones with Kinect $349.

The clerk said they had plenty. Not exactly an indicator of high market demand for the “full Xbox experience.”