Fall 2017 TV shows (returning and new)

Just heard an ad on Spotify for Rosanne - sounds like it’s coming back tonight. Someone please tell me the reviews are terrible so I can safely avoid it - I have lots of games and other TV already on tonight!

I’m rapidly losing interest in the new season of Timeless. It lacks the sense of mystery and urgency that made Season One click for me, and thus far the “c’mon, seriously?” factor is even heavier than Season One, which is not a good thing.

18 million viewers for Roseanne last night, apparently. I never saw the original show, so I didn’t volunteer to be the one to see the comeback.

I actually ended up watching the first episode because I had to wait for my son to finish taking a shower and fixing a snack after his tennis practice before we could watch our show anyway, and found myself enjoying it enough to watch the second episode on Hulu at the gym this morning. I watched this when it was on and enjoyed it (until the least few years, where it got not great and I at the same time got pretty tired of it) but I have to say watching it again was a big kick. Lots of fun, it’s like they never really left, honestly. I thought it was a smartly written, funny show with some political humor (good natured) and the second episode had a great message. Color me surprised, but it will probably end up on my TiVO every week.

I was watching the first two episodes of Rosanne out of curiosity and my 15-year-old came in about halfway through. His take? “Kind of funny, but the old lady playing the grandma can’t act at all.”

Now that I’ve seen the two Beckies meet (nicely played), I can give the rest of it a pass and not do anything that might inadvertently result in Rosanne Barr making a penny or two off of me.

Also, apparently high ratings of a sitcom featuring a pro-Trump character may unleash a reboot of Tim Allen’s Last Man Standing on us. Jesus, Rosanne, inflicting Tom Arnold on the world wasn’t enough?

Code Black returns for Season 3, on April 25th.

I really missed this in the fall, I figured it might have been canceled.

I don’t know why, but I watched a bit of this again this week. There’s something very addictive about the show. You want to know why on earth the show is the way it is. Why is it so melancholy in its presentation, when happy things are happening on the screen? Is it really all about the play they’re going to put on, not about the people it’s portraying?

The other night they had this scene where the main character (the actor who played the main guy in How I met your Mother) comes home and finds that the stray boy he brought home who was sleeping in the school has now bonded with his family. But we don’t see that bonding in any specific sense. We don’t hear dialog, because the scene is almost like a musical montage with swooping camera around the main guy and then the kid presumably bonding with the family, with really sad music playing in the background. It gives it this really surreal feeling, like wait, I’m supposed to feel good right now about this, right? But the music is so sad. What’s going on Rise? Why are you pushing mixed emotions?

Classic Shmosby.

There was no episode of Timeless last night, was there? Was the Jesus Christ Superstar special on that network?

I think so, I watch a bit of Jesus Christ Superstar, it was horrible.

I thought it was a lot of fun. Why didn’t you like it?

I was expecting a less urban look to the show. This is the first time I’ve ever seen JCSS, does it always look like this? Also I just couldn’t hear John Legend very well, his mic needed to be closer to his mouth.

I just watched The 10 Commandments on Saturday, so my bar going into the musical was set too high by that fantastic movie.

I have never been able to watch the old movie based on JCSS. I can watch almost any musical and I have seen Godspell many times, even performed live, but I just can’t get into JCSS.

What part did Alice Cooper play?

King Herod , I will say that actor Brandon Victor Dixon that played Judas was fantastic. What a voice!

Has anyone watched Krpyton or The Crossing?

I watched the pilot of The Crossing.

A whole bunch of people show up at the beach of an East coast town, most of them already drowned and dead. 47 of them survive. Where did they come from?

Well, they claim to have come from the future. So they’re time traveling refugees I guess, running away from a bleak future.

At this point I lost interest and stopped watching. It’s just a really slow-moving show, and I’m not sure I have the patience.

Maybe once the show’s season is over, and it can be binge-watched, where you watch a whole season in a month, something like that, then it won’t be as bad.

The trailers for Krypton just made it look so horribly CW-ish…lots of young attractive Kryptonians leading their young, attractive and sexy Kryptonian lifestyles while dealing with the rise of an authoritative government or some such. No thanks.

I did catch the premiere episode of The Crossing and enjoyed it. The didn’t wait to hit the plot point about the mysterious refugees being from the future where they were fighting a losing war against the “Apex”, who are seemingly the next step in human evolution. And at least one of the refugees is one…but nobody knows. And it’s not the first wave of refugees to come back in time, just the first one anyone knows about. Toss in a sympathetic local sheriff, a concerned Homeland Security agent and a possible government conspiracy/cover-up and you’ve got the groundwork for the decent story. It’s enough for me to stick with for now at least.

Ive watched 2 episodes of Krypton and its not terrible. It is somewhat CW-ish but it also has a darker feel to it. The premise is interesting and has potential.

The lead has an English accent… :)