Fall 2017 TV shows (returning and new)

That’s an interesting take - I watched the first episode and thought things moved reasonably fast. They didn’t screw around with the refugees’ backstory, they threw it right out. There was an interesting (but completely predictable) action sequence near the end. There was a sub-plot that developed in another completely predictable way (with the additional ‘plot twist’ of a highly improbable coincidence occurring). And it felt to me that the plot advanced at a decent pace. Compare that to comparable shows like Lost where the same revelations would have been strung out over 3 or 4 episodes (each revelation presented at the end of the episode, of course!).

I’d sum it up by saying the show moved along, but it was pretty much by the book as far as the plot goes.

I read a review of the series on Variety and I agreed with a lot of what they said - they said it felt like a throwback of a show that could have been produced in the era of Lost - back when network TV was on their sci-fi kick. That it was a show that would probably need a season to develop a following, and that they might not get that chance in today’s viewing world where people often let a bunch of episodes stack up on the DVR before watching it.

I can’t imagine the ratings will be awesome. But in today’s world, where most everything on tv has terrible ratings, I guess it might stay on the air unless ABC has something they’d rather show in the wings. It’s got Steve Zahn going for it, so that’s something.

I watched the second episode of The Crossing last night, and would agree with your assessment. Both episodes have been pretty liberal with the plot advancement, with this second one explaining in detail how the Apex woman came to be the “mother” of the little blonde girl, and illustrating just how horrifically cruel the Apex are to normal humans in the 22nd century. In two episodes we’ve received as much information as we would have in 4 or 5 episodes of a show like LOST. Yet character development hasn’t suffered for it, with Steve Zahn becoming more likable and Natalie Martinez (whom I really liked in APB, I wish that show had survived) becoming more sympathetic.

The only issue I see is that we’re being fed so much information up front that I suspect the whole mystery of who the refugees are will soon fade into the background and the show will focus on the conspiracy of the future people who came over before, how they infiltrated the government and other places, what they are planning, and how the sheriff, the Apex woman, the Homeland Security folks and some of the refugees can team up to stop them…at which point it becomes more conspiracy show and less sci-fi.

I think some of my impatience was due to the fact that I was watching it Live. I didn’t have a delay built up on my Xbox from pausing it for a while in order to skip commercials. So every commercial break was just really annoying when a mystery like this is unfolding, even if it’s unfolding relatively quickly compared to most shows.

I think I watched it later on commercial free Hulu I’ll probably like it better.

We never made a thread for Timeless so I’ll just keep going in this one: season 2 ended, and I enjoyed the ride. You can’t think too deeply about the plot or it all kinda breaks down, but that’s par for the course with time travel shows. I really like most of the historical characters, especially when they do lesser-known folks. No word yet on a third season renewal, but the writers ended it on a cliffhanger so clearly they’re ready to go.

Looks like a few shows actually made the cut. Gotham is coming back for a final 13 episode wrap up season. Lost in Space was officially renewed. As was Agents of Shield (another show with a 13 episode season ) They also announced that The Orville wont be returning until Dec. 30th. So while this “cancellation season” has been a bit brutal, there has been some decent news.

Umm so this show is finally going to be on TV , on May 30th. 10 episodes, my guess only 1 season.

Looks like its got potential. Hope they don’t screw it up!

They give a bit more slack with summer series. Even if the numbers are just ok, it could get a few seasons.

We haven’t seen the final episode of Timeless yet but for my wife and I it has been an up and down year. I think I would have given up on it but for my wife, and even she was getting pretty shaky until the last show.

The writing is horrendous, but the characters are what brings you back. And time travel of course. Love time travel.

I think I may give it up after this season. The writing is just so awful, and the introduction of Wyatt’s formerly dead wife into the cast ruined what was part of the show’s charm in the dynamic between Wyatt and Lucy. Even the period stories seem to lack the same flair they had in season one. The only saving grace this season has been Flynn’s addition to the group and the occasional LOL one-liners the writers still manage to wring out of Rufus, Mason or Flynn riffing on something historical.

You guys have a lot higher standards than I do, apparently. Yeah, Timeless is no better than most niche-genre shows, but I’m not there for Emmy-award-winning writing. It delivers on going to interesting past time periods, and the fact that they’re doing some lesser-known historical figures is even better.

I just discovered that NBC has a new hospital show coming called New Amsterdam (and the trailer is about as cliche as they get).

But I was like, “Wait, wasn’t there already a New Amsterdam show?”

Yes, yes there was. With the Kingslayer, to boot.

I can’t think of the last time this has happened.

Yeah I saw previews of 2018 Fall shows starting to show up. We need a new thread!

Yeah, I remember watching that show.

New Amsterdam (2008) was a pretty ok show. It was obviously based on a book called “Forever” but the producers denied it. So then they made essentially the same show based on the book, called “Forever”. It was a lot better. But now I’ve watched 2 shows that are based on the same thing and will watch two shows with the same name that is related to the first double show and that’s just making me laugh.

First thing that pops into my mind is two unrelated shows called “American Gothic”- one in 1995 am one in 2016. I didn’t see the new one, but I liked the '90s one when I watched it on DVD years later.

My problem with it is it requires massive leaps of faith to believe even the most basic plot point. Granted it has time travel. But when they go back to WW1 and find a certain person on a battlefield of millions, in the first 5 minutes, I just have to wince. And they do that in virtually every show.

I do like the characters, I just had the set ups.

Wow, Timeless just totally crapped the bed this season. The plot is nonsensical, with Rittenhouse somehow having sleeper agents scattered throughout time and the whole family connection thing, right up until one rogue Rittenhouse person decided to change that all up. The Wyatt’s wife storyline is total garbage, and even the Rufus and Gia plot seems strained at best. This show started out as fun and interesting in Season One, but whatever happened between seasons, it was not for the better. I hate to say it, but as it is now, this show deserved to get cancelled. We struggled to finish the final few episodes mainly out of a sense of duty more than anything else.

I just watched second season premiere last night, by coincidence (Timeless). And yeah, even the first episode, I’m not feeling it yet this season. It’s usually the characters in the past that hook me in each episode and Marie Curie and her daughter just didn’t get the chance to do that in this episode.

Episode 2 (Season 2) of Timeless was much better. I loved the black character who is fast enough to be in the starting era of Nascar, but isn’t. Wyatt was particularly ruthless in this episode, killing one person by snapping his neck, and shooting another one in the head without any hesitation. It seems like a change to his character, but maybe it isn’t. He wasn’t really put in these sorts of situations before in Season 1.

It looks like I only have 11 days to watch what I can of the rest of this season. But I’m glad I watched this episode at least. It’s always the characters from the past that make me connect with the show, and they had a good one in this episode.