Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes--is this going to be worth $32?

Only game I finished fully – took ages – was bugged so I had to use the ‘summon volcano/mountain’ spell to kill the allied units with, since I could not cancel the alliance and they were the only faction left alive – with the victory condition set to ‘destroy everyone’. So it was nice to be able to deform the terrain, felt a bit like playing Populus :)

On average, I would say I have two active that I work with.

I try to do a second hero to get Researcher III to stick in my conclave.

AFAIK that research bonus is added globally, so it doesn’t get the percentage modifiers from your Conclave.

My problem as stated above, is that I can’t really level up extra heroes very well to handle the monsters / AI armies in the late game. In the early game, even when I do get an extra hero, I am sticking my best units with my sovereign and there isn’t much, if anything left for a 2nd army. So, yes it would be nice to use multiple heroes, I just can’t find a good way to get the extra heros to a particularly useful state. In the early game it is the lack of a decent supporting army for 2 heroes, and in the late game it is the lack of critters to kill to level up the heroes once you can afford to crank out the units.

I collect heroes like they’re going out of style. I love 'em. I’ll often have two per stack, despite the penalty it provides: if at war, that can tip the scales very quickly. Likewise, I’ll have multiple stacks to battle in different areas. Of course, I like to play with a beastlord (free units ftw!) so I don’t need to worry about upkeep so much.

The solution is to build more armies faster ;)

Same. Plus I agree with Wo1verine, you need heroes to be able to cover each side of your empire. If you’ve only got one hero, and he’s on one front and you get attacked on the farside you’re pretty much screwed unless you have the right magic spells to get him back quickly. And even then, sometimes you’ll be attacked simultaneously from two or even three sides.

It doesn’t? Well then I’ll change that to admin III in future.

That said, the anti-hero spam mechanic kinda isn’t needed in LH- if the higher level heroes you get later on were more powerful, it would be different.

Admin III is amazing. Depending on the map and my needs, I’ll either take my first recruited hero all the way to that or leave her at Admin I and use her as a mobile unrest reducer because unrest is a sonofabitch until you get town halls or so.

Regarding the hero XP split, the problem is that easy XP is a finite resource as adventuring gives so much more XP than fighting wars against other players. So if you don’t split XP, you effectively multiply your XP resource gain by the number of heroes you can jam into a stack. The optimal strategy immediately becomes armies with only as many regular units as you absolutely need and heroes the rest of the way down.

Have you gotten many of the special heroes? The darkling shaman dude who gets Coal Stones and Gallowman in particular are hilariously overpowered (in a good way; I personally like that kind of thing in games like this) and immediately become my primary hero if I ever get the chance to recruit them.

I actually got the darkling shaman hero and the gallowman in my last (undead) playthrough. I didn’t have an army for the shaman so he just sat in a city somewhere (his abilities seemed weak at the time), but Gallowman was pretty cool. I think–I don’t recall what was special about him other than that it was a level 7 mage that fit right into my current playstyle (i.e. a duplicate of my sovereign).

To be fair in that game I was pretty late on the fame track, so I was already starting to win / already had most of the land cleared by the time they came along.

OK, the v1.5 update is out now for everyone. This update focuses on diplomatic AI and lots of fixes for user reported issues.

Full changelog here.

Anyone think the quest pack or item pack is worth while? In general I don’t care too much about doing quests as I usually focus more on the traditional 4X stuff. I’m probably going to pick up the undead dlc.

Damn, that reminds me, I was going to keep my eyes out for the quest and item packs during the Autumn sale.

LH might come up again before it’s over. If not, it’ll be up over the Winter sale for sure.

They are 50% off right now.

Yes, especially for the quests (the items and quests are in one pack, then there’s a map pack, and of course the undead pack). Quests can make significant differences in the development of your champions, not just due to the goodies but also due to the experience (and in rare circumstances, you can get new champions as well). The added variety then makes it a richer experience. The items are fun, however, especially the bunny slippers ;)

In Steam, the loot and quest packs are separate. They have 4: Undead, Quest, Map, and Loot (each at $2.50).

I do recommend the quest and Undead-faction packs–I have those and I felt they changed the game significantly enough to be worth $5. The Undead one gives you at least one more playthrough immediately, and I felt the quests did a good job of changing it up, and I still occasionally get new ones (though I do wish I didn’t get Bacco the Beggar every single game). The loot and map packs looked underwhelming, personally, so I didn’t get them and I can’t comment.

Had a hankering for some 4X action so fired up Fallen Enchantress again, in hopes that the 1.5 patch would have fixed the game crashes that had been causing me grief. This seems to be the case; so far no issues.

I re-learned very quickly that Hard level is too much for me. Within an hour or so it was obvious that I had no chance in the first game, tried the same again, then gave up and went back to Challenging level. And proceeded to totally dominate the next two games, so much so that I decided to go for the Quest victory in the second game, leaving one opponent more or less alone while I roamed the map destroying everything in my path. I kinda wish there was a setting between Challenging and Hard, since I almost always win the former easily but have lost every attempt at the latter.