Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes--is this going to be worth $32?

… and I’m pretty sure they’re not home for the weekend, either.

No guarantees, but I’ve poked the people in charge of feeding the hamsters. Hopefully the wheels will resume turning soon. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Got the mail shortly after for the record. Still, uninformative error report messages and half an hour activation mail times are not splendid of course.

Sorry about that! My guess would be load from the free weekend, but you’re right that a half hour is way too long.

Our wizards have completed their cleansing ritual, so whatever taint was there should hopefully be exorcised.

I agree, it’s one of my constant go back to games, still play it regularly.

In an earlier version, I could pick where to place a building, with a key like shift/control. Can you still control your placement of a building in recent patches? And what is the key again. I’m likely using the wrong key shortcut.

I’ve always just set the option in the options screen (Manual Improvement Placement or similar).

Likewise - I sadly don’t know the shortcut key. fwiw, there’s a mod called “snaking” by parrotmath that really takes advantage of building placements, allowing piers and logging camps if your spread your city to water and forests, respectively (making initial placement a little less important).

Yeah this is a thread necro. I did a search to find a topic to put this in and posted it in the comments for Tom’s review which I didn’t realize was in the Front Page section only. So, I’m cross posting this here.

After playing the HOMM4 campaigns again for a while (and enjoying them a lot) I was in the mood for something along the same lines, but what? Then I realized it had been years since I took FE for a spin. So I pulled it out and blew the dust off. It holds up pretty nicely.

I’d never made a custom faction before and I’d never messed around much with designing units so this time I decided I’d get into all that. Man, what an eye opener. It’s been a blast to play.

I made a custom Altar race of men with death worship so that I could have access to the Altar henchmen and death magic combo. I’d never played with henchmen before. They are basically champions that you can design and train like normal units for a cost of a combination of money and fame.

You level and equip them just like champions except that they don’t count as an XP penalty when they’re in your army. This is huge when your realize that you can create a Commander henchman and pick all the Training traits that give 10% XP gain to the army they’re in for each trait in the tree. That’s about a 60% XP boost in total. It’s all quite insane but insanely fun.

So, I’m enjoying this more than I ever did before. Most of the big bugs are gone at this point. There are some exceptions, the major one being that if you load a save even once when you are playing, the territory borders disappear from the screen and map. You have to restart the game to get them back. Not too terrible but I’m amazed they never fixed that. It must have something to do with memory in their custom engine and they just couldn’t fix it.

I’ve only had a few random crashes in 3 days of solid playing which means it’s now pretty stable. No real other issues, which is pretty darn good considering where it once was. I often wonder just how good the game would have been if they’re just chosen to go with using the Unreal Engine instead of building their own.

I’m absolutely convinced that FE is the best game Stardock has ever made. Nothing they’ve made since is better. I hope they come to their senses after their Star Control game is done and give us a proper Legendary Heroes 2.