Falling Skies

New alien occupation show on TNT starting next week, starring Noah Wyle. Anyone heard advanced word if this will be any good? It has to be better than V, right?

Site with trailers here:
http://www.tnt.tv/series/fallingskies/

My favorite TV critic (Tim Goodman of the Hollywood Reporter/San Francisco Chronicle) says it’s really great, so I put it on my DVR.

TNT certainly seems to think it’s hot shit, even so far as starting it inexplicably shortly before they’re going to need to take a short hiatus for Independence Day (if they know what’s good for them). I’ll pick it up for the same reason I pick up everything in the summer - it’s not like I’ve got a lot of other options. I’ve only got six more cases in LA Noire, and after I clear those I don’t really have a game alternative that plays well in the hour and a half to two hour window that I have most work nights. I’m hopeful.

Dark Horse Digital has four Falling Skies comics up available for free. I haven’t read them yet, so I can’t evaluate. But they are free.

Not trying to derail this thread, but weren’t there TWO shows coming this summer about alien invasion? I have Falling Skies set up for DVR now, but I’m completely blanking on what the other one was, or what channel it was on.

I forget it’s name, but it’s on Fox, and it has the evil general guy from Avatar, and they escape back in time.

Not that I am aware of off the top of my head. Here’s what I remember being new (series) this summer:

Falling Skies (Walking Dead with aliens instead of zombies)
Suits (USA Lawyer show about not-a-lawyer)
Alphas (superheroes, and maybe really, really terrible)
Necessary Roughness (USA sports psychiatrist show)

You might be remembering Terra Nova, which is another Stephen Spielberg produced joint that was supposed to show up in the summer, but Fox decided to hold it for Fall to tighten up the graphics on level 3 or something.

Yes, Terra Nova is the show I (and I think Benny) were talking about. I forgot it got moved to fall.

So, probably a dumb question, but does that mean this show is based on the comics, uh, graphic novel series? Similar to the way The Walking Dead is?

I hope this is done well and succeeds, but it’s not clear from the promos whether that’s the case. Going to be watching it with interest.

No. Comic is a tie-in.

Forum search broken again?

;-) (Honestly I don’t care where we talk about it, and I’m looking forward to the show.)

I’ve got Falling Skies set to record, but I’m not expecting much. The alien invasion story has been done to death. If Falling Skies can have a new take on it, it could be good. I guess we’ll see.

Well, the twist here is that it isn’t an invasion story. That already happened. This is an occupation story, which is where the “Walking Dead with aliens” elevator pitch comes from.

That said, Moon Bloodgood is employed as a regular. To date, that has not been a good sign for shows. The woman is cursed.

Ah, got it. That is an interesting twist on the formula then.

She’s the reason we can’t have nice things.

Dammit. I searched but didn’t see it!

Yeah TNT have been hyping Falling Skies a lot and even have a movie trailer out for it. There’s so much information available about the Falling Skies TV series at falling-skies.org. The fansite has a lot of info about the series and might give you an idea of what the show is gonna look like etc.

REPORTED

My first!

He’s a nice robot, though. Well, aside from the trying to murder your computer with whatever the hell is at the .org site he tries to link which cannot possibly be what he says it is, on account of there’s nothing non-profit about a network television program.

His Vietnamese sucks, though.

A description, for those who are confused as to what the hell is going on in this show.

Definitely sounds a lot like The Walking Dead. But, you know, more than six episodes and two thirds of the people watching it don’t already know what happens.