Fallout 2?

All the discussion of Wasteland 2, a game that I love in concept but it sounds like I may not enjoy actually playing it (due to the bugs, etc.) has me wondering if I should go back and try Fallout 2. I’ve played Fallout 3 and NV and love the Fallout “world.” What I like about the concept of Wasteland 2 is the non-fantasy world (e.g. I prefer sniper rifles to magic wands, mutant dogs and sleazy arms dealers over dragons and orcs, etc.) and the relatively open world nature in which to explore. Sounds like Fallout 2 offers that also?

So - is Fallout 2 worth finding and playing? If so, where to find it? And are there mods that are worth installing for the first play through?

Thanks.

Yes, it’s very worth it. One of the best RPG ever.

It isn’t exactly “open world”, it’s played in specific maps around points of interests where quests happen.

I love Fallout 2 but I’m also liking Wasteland 2 a lot.

And Fallout 2 is far, far faaaaaaaaar from bug free. Sure, there are unnoficial patches out there, but it’s not the paramount of stability.

Fallout 2 is

A) One of the best games ever made
B) Legendarily buggy. (Though much better now than at release).

Anyway, play Fallout, Fallout 2, and Wasteland 2. You’ll be glad you did!

They were removed from GoG because Bethesda/Zenimax hates you.

By all means play Fallout and Fallout 2, especially the latter. One of my favorite games of all time. But as noted above, radscorpions aren’t the only bugs you’ll encounter. And Wasteland 2 is worth it in the state it’s in now, I think. I can use some work, but it’s still amazingly enjoyable as is.

Cmon, you’re making a mountain ouf of a molehill. FO2 1.0 (or whatever the original release version was) had some nasty bugs - most prominently the disappearing car one - but you could still finish it easily. Even patched, granted, it’s nowhere close to bug-free, but what game is? Compared to WL2, FO2 is MASSIVELY polished and comparing the buggyness of the two games is like the light of a candle vs. light of the sun thing.

Don’t let the haters discourage you Jeff, FO2 is still a great RPG, even if it has some quirks. Very much worth playing.

After the recent playthrough of FO in the classic game club, I was shocked to see what state WL2 is in. IMO, it plays more like a total conversion of a game that was about something else entirely created by an enthusiastic, but ultimately somewhat clueless group of volunteers rather than a purpose-built engine/experience.
FO’s imaginative world design alone blows WL2 mile high out of the water.

rezaf

Jeff! Where were you for our Classic Game Club last time?

When I played Fallout 2 some years (5-6?) ago, I think I did it with an unofficial patch and I found 0 bugs on my playthrough.

I’ve played it a number of times and recall zero incidences of problematic bugs. It is a phenomenal game.

If you put a question mark in the thread title simply because development is still a rumor, you’re going to look silly when it’s finally released.

Any skills and perks you guys recommend to take? I hate picking ones that sound good on paper but ultimately prove to be useless or rarely used in game.

I don’t understand why JeffL is specifically asking about Fallout 2 instead of Fallout. Is it the “2” he’s fixating on? Wasteland 2, therefore Fallout 2?

Personally I’d recommend Fallout over Fallout 2. The original has a much more interesting and focused plot, while the sequel is a bit of a meandering sprawl, with far too many jokey elements.

Yeah, I thought Fallout 2 was great, but Fallout is the one I’d pick if forced to choose.

I hated the time limit, in theory, but in practice it didn’t matter that much. Bugged me at the time though. (Fallout 1)

I would pick Fallout 2, though the central plot is better in 1, the varied quests, factions and characters is better in 2. I didn’t have a problem with the timed quest in F1, nor I had problems with the jokey stuff in F2 (I barely saw jokes, it’s an overstated complaint, the worst stuff was in some misc. random encounters).

They’re both great. Fallout is much shorter, and can be finished in a week or two of casual play, and - let’s face it - it’s an important game that you should play if you haven’t, since it established the setting. Fallout 2 has better mechanics, particularly when it comes to companions, and is a little more over the top at times, but it’s not as the original Fallout is played entirely straight. I personally prefer the original Fallout, but they are both in my top 10 games of all time.

There’s a Fallout 2 mod that goes back in and adds a bunch of cut content. Can’t remember the game but it is highly recommended by those that have played it.

Add points to skills you already use. Unless you have a specific build in mind, I recommend a healthy investment in small guns skill, which covers 90% of the game. I never bother with gambling and seldom with barter or outdoorsman (skill books usually raise outdoorsman high enough for practical purposes).

Avoid taking perks that grant you skill points–the others are usually better. Keep in mind that some have skill and attribute prerequisites.

Depends on what you want to do. The beauty of SPECIAL and how the game generally works is that you can still get, say, 50-75% in things like repair and get mileage out of them.

The, uh, Gifted(?) background trait gives you +1 to all ability scores at the cost of some skill points per level up. It’s very powerful, you should consider it. Your ability score arrangements, and your 3 tag skills, sort of dictate how you want to do your business. Combat skills are specially noteworthy because they are some of the few skills that benefit from large skill numbers. Because of distance penalities (mitigated somewhat by Perception), called shots, and lategame armor it’s not unusual to have something in the 200+ range, to allow for “max chance” called shots. Tagging a skill gets you more bang for your skillpoint investment, so these are excellent skills in which to sink a lot of skill points. Generally you won’t want more than a two combat skills and just one is plenty viable. Small guns is everything from shockingly powerful pistols to sniper rifles, big guns is heavy machine guns/vulcans/flamethrowers/rockets, and energy weapons is all energy weapons. Both melee skills are plenty viable. However melee is tougher going until you know what you are doing (e.g. with proper forknowledge it’s possible to speed up the acquisition of Power Armor, which is really helpful for melee). The Power fist is an unarmed combat weapon (it’s also amazing), but most other melee weapons fall under the other melee skill (and the ripper and the super sledge are both amazing too).

If you like to be talky, Speech is good too. A high enough speech can make up for lack of ability scores and opens up a lot of interesting options (so too, though, will things like a high Int or Per). It’s a nice skill to tag. Sneaking gets a lot harder as the game goes on, if memory serves. So it’s another choice for tagging if you want to play in a more indirect manner. The First Aid skill is really nice too, as you’ll get more healing out of stim packs and such. It’s one that can benefit from being over 100%.

I doubt tagging anything like Computers or the Repair skill is worth while. Lock picking actually might not be a bad idea, I can’t recall anymore.

For leveling, you want to focus some portion of your skill points on your tag skills. The skill system works such that e.g. for every point invested you get a skill point up to 99. Beyond that it takes multiple points to get one % point. Tag skills delay that progression (and indeed, until 99 or whichever the first breakpoint is you’ll get 2% points for every point invested). But as I said there is some benefit to putting some skill points in off skills. You can get mileage out of lesser investment (repair, computers, first aid, lockpicking, even some sneaking).

For Perks. . . there are so many ways to build your character. If you want to do a lot of fighting, there are a couple of different things to consider. Anything to increase your action points can be huge; you want to look for break points that allow shooting two aimed shots (as a small arms or energy weapons user). Aimed shot users will benefit from boosting critical chance and especially from boosting criticial damage. The stackable perk that gives you bonus moves (AP that can only be used on movement) can still be useful. The Perk that reduces the cost of going into your inventory can also be useful. A gun user will absolutely want to grab sniper at high levels, this practically turns you into death incarnate. It’s possible to do non-aimed shot builds for non heavy weapons users, and even possible to run builds that get 3 attacks, but it’s a little advanced (and targeted shots are so darn useful). Fallout 2 has perks that give you +1 to an ability score which is occasionally useful but you won’t get htem until level 12. Melee users have a couple of perks they can consider grabbing for boosting attacks (and can also boost from the crit perks), and at high levels will want to grab slayer. Which 100% makes you death incarnate (all crits, all the time).

There’s perks to help with social skills, and you can even grab a fourth tag skill if you are so inclined. Even a sneaky character might benefit from things like the bonus movement perks. It’s a very colorful system that gives you a lot of room to do interesting things. Playing a luck 9 or 10 character can have strange and interesting impact on gameplay. It’s like a secret cheat menu except it doesn’t obey your input and shows up when it wills. It’s really fun. The so called “lucky sniper” who tagged small guns, speech, and something else to taste was a very popular build both for allowing you a lot of flexibility in how you approached the game (you can sue speech to get a lot accomplished, and then fight when you wanna; and when you fight you are a terror), and because of the other things Luck did for you.

For my own personal preference, Fallout > Fallout 2 by a significant margin, but they are both terrific and both worth playing for any fan of the genre. I replayed both back when they showed up on GoG, and I’ll probably replay them some time in the next year or two.