Fallout 2?

Hey one can never have too many great old games that will play on your notebook! So I’ll start with Fallout 1. I may have even purchased it on Steam in the past - I have a number of impulse purchases on Steam I’ve never gotten around to playing. Any mods/unofficial patches I should apply before I start?

I’m not a hater, it’s one of my favorite games of all time! But I played the release version before I had patches available and it was not pretty. Had to restart several times. It sort of added to the atmosphere…

Our own Paul Cze says

Ok, after two hours of reading websites and readmes I finally installed The Ultimate Version of Fallout .

The procedure goes as following:

1. Install Fallout 1 from GOG.com
  2. Find and install “Fallout_1_TeamX_Patch_ENG_1.2w” (either via nma or just google)
  3. Install “f1child_patch” (again, nma)
  4. Install “fallup13” - this is the TeamX patch 1.3.4 (nma)
  5. Install “f1npcmod” from TeamX (again, nma)
  6. Install “sfall1” (from http://timeslip.chorrol.com/sfall.html)
  7. Install “Fallout1_High_Resolution_Patch_v1.3” (nma)
  8. Open f1_res and set AUTO_SCRN_SIZE = 0, then your desired resolution (I use 800*600, anything above is just too darn small for my taste), then if you want, change the way ingame movies work, either fullscreen or not…up to you.Same with movie subtitles.

Run the game and enjoy it in all of its patched glory, WITH KILLABLE KIDS (not that I ever kill them, but the option is here), with better NPC interaction (armors, levelling…), with tweaks like mousewheel in the inventory etc, in higher resolution…

The Ultimate Fallout Experience awaits

If you’re playing the Steam version, it already has the high res/widescreen mod baked in, so the only thing you need for sure is the patch that restores the kids. That’s not a mod, it’s just reinserting the content that was released with the game, which is particularly important for one key quest.

I don’t play any content mods, since I prefer to play the game as released, but the other patches that Turin/Paul recommended make some unofficial fixes and change the NPC companions to act more like they do in Fallout 2. Personally I think outgrowing your companions is a unique, and interesting, feature of Fallout, so I think you lose some charm and interest by making companions function more like they do in every other RPG.

Cool, I’ll look for the kid patch (I have the steam version.) For some reason, the high res/widescreen patch doesn’t seem to be working - I set it in options for 1920x1200 or whatever my laptop screen is, but it doesn’t seem to pay attention to any graphic setting I choose - something odd. At first it came up in 1280x(something.) No matter what i did. Now I see it starts up in 1920x1058x1? Even though I set it to something else in options? So confused! LOL!

Hey, downloaded that Kids patch, but it only contains a Falloutw.exe file. Which is not the hi-res exe file. Does it not add the kids if you’re running the falloutHR.exe file (steam, high res version?)

It’s the right one and will work fine. Boot the game from the Steam menu and you will get the option to play Fallout or “Fallout classic” (which disables the highres mode). Just use the default Fallout selection and you will be good to go.

How things have changed. Back in the day you could minigun down children and no one said shit. You could never pull that off today without a shitstorm.

Fallout 2 is still the greatest thing ever, bugs and glitches and all. So much freedom and so much care in the setting. Nowadays RPG worlds don’t even have children, which makes for a creepy world. Where do they keep their offspring? In locked cellars? Do they just not procreate? In Fallout the little buggers were running around being kids, playing shoot em up or whatever and it was glorious.

WTF, the Steam version of Fallout is the old censored version? Why on earth would they do that?

My understanding is that the way kids were removed was by leaving out the animation and dialog files. Basically the kids are still in the game but are silent/invisible, which effectively removes them. The kids patch should add those files back in. Well, that’s how it worked for the first game anyway. (I’m not sure if that was changed for Fallout 2.)

The kids are stil there and will pickpocket you blind if you let them.

That’s why you gotta give 'em the old Supersledge right to the groin. There is no better deterrent.

I didn’t think Fallout 2 was as good as Fallout 1 but it was still a very good game. I played it through the combo package with F1 and Tactics and I don’t remember it being that buggy.

They are obligated to use the censored version for the same reason GoG was - ratings compliance - something that’s changed since the game was originally released.

Decided to try to play it without reading a ton of startup guides, strategy guides, etc. Just wing it and see how it plays that way. It is pretty hard - died a few times pretty quickly. Accidentally end up in the middle of a bunch of radscorpions early on, I don’t think there is any escape. I did discover that getting Ian to join me in the first town I entered, Shady Town, made clearing out the radscorpion cave pretty easy. Unfortunately as he and I were heading to Junktown, we ended up in the middle of about 5 radscorpions. I made it out - he didn’t. Ah well, life it tough in the wasteland. Now in Junktown, accidentally got a doctor and his assistant trying to kill me…

I also discovered that, while I could get it to go widescreen 1920xsomething, I don’t want to. Everything is too small. Experimenting with the best resolution.

I think I’m using 1200xsomething, which works fine for me. Anyway, it’s great you don’t want to look at any guides, but one tip that I feel is pretty essential is how to use your npc followers as pack mules. You can give them stuff using the barter screen, but in order to get it back (without paying), you have to use steal on them. Your skill doesn’t matter, and they won’t turn hostile, so I think this is actually how you’re supposed to trade with them, rather than just an exploit.

Ah, thanks on that. I am using the manual and key-card, but I could not figure out how to transfer stuff between my NPC and myself - I kept looking for a button of some kind.

I’m sure I will find that I missed stuff, have a character that has a harder time than he should because I pick the wrong Perks, etc. but what the heck.

So you’re playing Fallout 1, Jeff? May I humbly suggest you post your thoughts in our classic game club thread on Fallout? I hope those threads will continue to be the go-to threads for their particular games, unless there already was another one on QT3.

Was not aware of that thread - will do.

That is oooooooooooold

When I replayed Fallout 1 this year, I only used FIXT mod, which includes pretty much everything and is awesome.

And for Fallout 2, Restoration Pack is a must. EVEN FOR FIRST TIME PLAYERS.

The new content is great and perfectly integrated into the game, it is the way it is meant to be played. It also includes the high-res patch and all bug fixes.