Fallout 3 - Back For Blood

What’s with the pessimism? Either Obsidian or Troika would do nicely.

Tim Cain ! Chris Taylor ! All is forgiven ! Please come back !

I think enough of us have seen sequels of great games being diluted and the only thing they have in common are their names and the universe the games are in.

I hope whoever makes Fallout 3 remembers what made the series great, well at least the first one anyway.

I think enough of us have seen sequels of great games being diluted and the only thing they have in common are their names and the universe the games are in.

I hope whoever makes Fallout 3 remembers what made the series great, well at least the first one anyway.[/quote]

Lords of the Realm III anyone?

I have little hope of this resembling anything I would want to play when it is released in 6 years.

I just wanted to add that the Gamespot writer has the coolest name of any game journalist: Tor Thorsen! :D

I just wanted to add that MOO3 was a spreadsheet simulator that is better off never being mentioned again.

Enh, my main problem is the idea of multiple dev teams working on it. The last RPG I played that was developed by lots of people on a team with a ridiculous turnover rate (which seems to me to be pretty much the same thing as handing the game from one team to another) was Pool Of Radiance 2. And, um, yeah. HOLY FUCKING OUCH.

If they can ensure that the original team will be at least mostly kept intact (is that even a remote possibility? I obviously have no idea), then okay, maybe this is fantastic news. I’m just saying, here I see definite cause for concern.

Also, I can’t speak for Obsidian because I am optimistic about a company with Feargus in their ranks, yet they’ve not produced anything as of yet. Who knows how they’ll turn out. But my experience with Troika games can best be summed up as “meh”. And even that may sound too excited to accurately convey what I really think about them. Don’t get me wrong, I think I like what seems to be their underlying philosophy in RPGs - tactical combat and a character development system with lots of detail. But the end result has either bored me to tears (Arcanum) or frustrated the hell out of me (Temple Of Elemental Evil). I’m sure someday that they’re going to create that awesome RPG that makes me forget about Baldur’s Gate 2 - it just hasn’t coem close to happening yet, and I have to question whether giving them a partially complete game is how they’re going to accomplish it.

I really hope they succeed. But, right now, Fallout 3 is probably just a server full of unfinished code, a wish and a prayer.

I’m sure they can find a capable developer within the ranks of the recently departed, but, given all the reports of Interplay’s deathbed financials, does the company have ready money to pay the developer? Has anyone seen any recent FTC filings, and know whether they’ve raised any new capital?

Another question: Did the Fallouts really make much money? Inquiring venture capitalists will want to know. Someone posted sales figures a good ways back (in response to my low guess); I -think- they were actually in the 150,000 to 200,000 range. Does that really qualify as a hit, and how much of it translated into sales for Fallout Tactics? (That is, has the franchise effectively dropped off the map?)

Peter

This game will be to Fallout what Deus Ex 2 was to Deus Ex (or Thief 3 will be to Thief). But who cares!!! MO’ MONEY! (or so they believe… the idiots, I wonder how Fallout BOS did HAHAHAHA!!!111).

etc

I’ll trust Obsidian with Fallout 3 just because they got Chris Avellone. I loved Torment, enjoyed reading the Fallout Bible, and I think that New Reno is the best area in the Fallouts. Sure, some of it seems out of place, but I liked the attention paid to useless details. I liked the sheer amount of roleplaying choices. I liked that almost everyone responds differently to different characters and character choices (not just on a good/bad axis, but also male/female smart/dumbslaver/not slaver boxer/not boxer etc.) Compared to New Reno, everything else seems sparse and linear.

I haven’t been wowed by Troika either – Arcanum was a great concept, and ToEE is a decent combat engine. But they seem to learn from their mistakes, so I’m optimistic – thought it was great that they focused on ToEE as a turn based single player game rather than some half assed hybrid (honestly, did ANYONE play Arcanum multiplayer?).

There’s no way to know that. Forgive me if you aren’t, but you sound like a No Mutants Allowed type fanboy here. You know, the kind that absolutely hates everything.

“I WANT A NEW FALLOUT GAME!”

“NO YOU DICKS NOT AN ACTION GAME CONSOLES ARE FOR KIDS AND SEX IS TEH GAY YOU GUYS SUCKS BOS SUCKS I HOPE YOU DIE YOU FUCKS WE ONLY WANT AN RPG IF ITS NOT FALLOUT 3 ITS CRAP!”

“NOW YOU THINK YOU CAN MAKE FALLOUT 3 AND WE’LL LIKE IT? WTF YOU GUYS ARE TOOLS WHO JUST WANT OUT MONEYS!”

There’s no way to know that. Forgive me if you aren’t, but you sound like a No Mutants Allowed type fanboy here. You know, the kind that absolutely hates everything.

“I WANT A NEW FALLOUT GAME!”

“NO YOU DICKS NOT AN ACTION GAME CONSOLES ARE FOR KIDS AND SEX IS TEH GAY YOU GUYS SUCKS BOS SUCKS I HOPE YOU DIE YOU FUCKS WE ONLY WANT AN RPG IF ITS NOT FALLOUT 3 ITS CRAP!”

“NOW YOU THINK YOU CAN MAKE FALLOUT 3 AND WE’LL LIKE IT? WTF YOU GUYS ARE TOOLS WHO JUST WANT OUT MONEYS!”[/quote]

I’m pretty sure he was joking. :wink:

My point still stands about the fanboys though.