Fallout 3 patch 1.5 crashes upon completion

…twice now, exact same manifestation-- it gets to the end of patching the program, tries to launch it, Fallout 3 itself hangs, and both the patcher and Fallout 3 just sit there until I control alt delete out of Fallout. BTW for some reason, in the task manager, the patching program shows up twice as “Not Responding” and of course so does Fallout 3 (just once).

I don’t have the virus checker running or anything. I can’t figure it out. When I go into the game directory the Fallout 3 exe file appears to be the correct one (version 1.5). The last time I launched the game after the patch problem, it hung on exit so bad I had to hit the reset button on the PC.

I uninstalled the game, reinstalled it and tried to patch it again with the result mentioned above. Now I’m afraid to run the game for fear it’ll crash bad on exit again. I have the event viewer info on the patching problem, in case it would help. Anyone else running into these problems?

So does the game run now? The crash on exit issue is pretty widespread, so I wouldn’t be too worked up over that.

I ran it briefly last night just as a test and it didn’t crash on exit. Part of my concern here too is that I recently RMA’d my 8800GT video card and just got the replacement (which is actually running about 6 degrees Celsius hotter than my old card, grrr) and installed it and everything, so I’m a bit paranoid about that–I checked the Event Viewer after rebooting from the first bad crash on exit and sure enough there was this tidbit sigh:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: nv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 108
Date: 5/8/2009
Time: 12:33:44 AM
User: N/A
Computer: JOSEC2DUO
Description:
The driver nv4_disp for the display device \Device\Video0 got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Please check with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates.