Fallout 4

Take any water out of your workbench to get production started. For some reason, you need to do that when you first start up a water purifier.

I wish there was a mod to simply auto-scrap everything scrappable (sans the workbench) in a settlement. I spend so much time scrapping things. And you can’t quicksave in workshop mode, and for some reason these days my game has taken to crashing more. Probably the mods, or the twelve billion saves.

These large fights are cool. One I got in the middle of one between gunners, mutants and BOS. I and the BoS won, but right at the end as we had just finished, a single solitary lonely raider showed up. Needless to say, he didn’t last long. Was pretty funny.

I started a game on survival. I was kind of enjoying it, even if the survival UI was kind of crappy and it was too high/annoying.

Then i got instantly killed by a feral ghoul as soon as it reached melee range with me, almost like it was a context event. This of course cost me about 5-10 minutes. Now i am probably done with survival as that is dumb.

Then some random bandit hits me in the back crippling my head and doing like 90% of my health. A fraction of the second later i die, losing 20 minutes of progress.

I just downloaded a mod that let me save anywhere iirc.

One of the reasons (besides the anal retentive eating and drinking) I ditched Survival was that the game still seems to have some sort of memory issue which causes it to crash in longer play sessions. Just closes and drops to desktop. Not too bad with quicksaves, but would be fatal with Survival mode.

Man, the Modern Firearms stuff is sort of over the top. So many bizarro variations of gun parts and a bewildering array of options. But, it makes firefights really fun, because the bad guys are using those nasty weapons too. Playing on Very Hard, the fight in Gunner’s Plaza for instance was intense, given the firepower those dudes were toting. Of course, now it’s MY firepower…

I still haven’t quite figured mods out on the PS4. I went to the Bethesda site, linked it to my PS4 account, found a couple of mods I thought I might try (nothing radical) and when I went into F4, and the Mods section, instead of showing what I selected on the Bethesda web site, it just showed a ton of “favorite” ones with no sorting capability. (Not sure how it picked favorites since a number of them have 3 star or less ratings,) And one of the ones I picked on the Bethesda wasn’t on there. (The one I picked that I was able to add was the one that adds a ton of stuff you can use in Settlements.)

No clue how mods work on a console. For the PC, I just go into the mods option on the game menu and log in to Bethesda.net and download and activate what I want. Pain that you have to sign in each time you want to reorder or enable/unenable stuff though.

I am thinking about this. I am really waiting for a sale somewhere where I can get the DLC cheap.
Then Ill have to think about what mods I want, not that I even know what is out there.

That’s what I’m going to do as well. I played it briefly when it came out as a rental. Well, briefly for a Bethesda game. Around 38 hours. For most other games I play that’s really high. But for a Bethesda game, I felt like I only scratched the surface. But I was planning to come back to it when the GOTY edition or equivalent was released. I figured I won’t take notes on what mods to do until then.

I’d forgotten just how packed with content a Bethesda game is! After W3, which I loved loved loved, but there’s not a lot of “stuff” between main areas/quest areas (there is some, but I walk everywhere - don’t fast travel, don’t even use the horse because I want to carefully explore) - I remember walked long distances between areas and while the scenery was beautiful, coming across nothing at all - after W3, it’s amazing how much “stuff” is packed into F4. I simply want to walk from where I am to the quest objective, and it takes hours because I run across so much to explore!

I need one more quick key for weapons! I have my 10mm modded pistol in one, my main weapon, my sniper rifle in another, my weapon of choice when I can set up far enough away to use it, stimpacks in one for quick use in battle, The 4th I use for my combat shotgun and modded heavy assault rifle, and can’t decide which to keep there.

Oh, and I’ll admit to using a carrying weight mod. I know I’m into the role playing aspect of these games and it’s “unrealistic” but so is fast travel (which I don’t use, FWIW) and so it having my dog carrying missile launchers and mini-nukes and a bazillion other items. I still only carry my main weapons but I don’t find having to constantly juggle whether I can carry this fan back to my workshop adds anything to the experience.

That’s the only cheat I use on my PS4, unless you count the mod that lets you build just about anything on a settlement a cheat.

If I find, say, a glow sighted rifle, and at a weapons workshop change it to a regular sighted rifle, can I then use its glow sights on another weapon?

I am getting ready to dial this up again, once the texture pack hits. Perhaps this will be the first Bethesda game which I’ve actually finished since Daggerfall. I’ve played them all, but I’ve always loved the sandbox and the sidequests more than the main quests.

You can, if it’s the same type of weapon. Mods can be removed and re-used at will. But they are all restricted to specific types of weapons.

I ran into the settlement build limit at Taffington Boathouse so I went and grabbed a mod for that as well as the homemaker mod. I can see myself setting up a little fallout museum with all the stuff that I have collected. Already have a cool power armor display. I tend not to use them because I like sniping so much but they really look cool. The base building aspect of this game is so awesome. I was really put off at first because Preston was always saying “General. Another settlement needs your help. I’ll mark it on your map.” I felt like it was sending me all over the map too quickly. I’d much rather just build a stronghold and then help others out. Don’t really want to be their general.

Another little cool thing - very fun to set a Protectron loose. I set one loose at the Mass Chemical Company and he immediately went outside. I then watched him basically clear out a building filled with Super Mutants. I just followed him and looted. Wish I could repair him!

Also, switching the PIP boy flashlight to basically bright yellow makes a huge difference. Looks like a real flashlight now.

I have been playing with modern arms a bit and noticed there are no pistols. This is a problem because I am doing a pistol build. I saw that there is something called “Modern Sidearms” but I can’t find a download link anywhere. Does anyone know where I can get this? If I can’t find it, I guess Ill remove modern arms and hope it doesn’t hose my game. Are there any other good weapon mods I can use to replace it?

IIRC, the Modern Firearms doesn’t have pistols per se, but some of the SMGs show up as a pistol icon in the PipBoy favorites display, so perhaps they “count” as pistols for perk purposes?

I actually was able to build a sniper using power armor–the mod that activates a stealth field when you sneak. That, and all the usual stealth/sneak perks. I can sneak up on someone in a small room without them noticing me, even though I’m in a fusion-powered suit of metal.