Fallout 4

I have both “New area” DLCs - will I just randomly run into those in the game? Is there a level requirement?

You’ll get quests as you get near them. The one for Far Harbor is picked up as a radio signal from Nick Valentine about a new case that has come up. That leads to a location in the far NE part of the map and you go from there.

Nuka-World I have yet to start, but comes via a broadcast as well.

I’m not sure if there is a specific level range on either, but I would assume as with most of the rest of the game, it is auto-leveled content, so enemies would be as tough or as weak as you are, per se.

Maybe someone else can answer that a bit better.

Once the DLCs are added, you’ll get a quest prompt. Just like all quest prompts in Fallout 4, you can ignore it forever if you like.

That said, the map locations that lead to Far Harbor and Nuka World can be stumbled across accidentally since they’re just physical spots that you could wander into. They’re both at the far edges of the main map, though.

Nuka-World quest shows up (All Aboard! or something like that) at level 30 I think. You can do it earlier if you’re pretty strong, or savescum I guess.

Odd question - what do people think is the most important perk to get to level 2?

Depends I would think if you are playing survival or not? But if you are using a semi auto rifle then rifleman is a solid choice. Probably can’t go wrong with locksmith or scavenger.

Generally I find that unless you mainline the main quest (not at all recommended) you will get plenty of points to do whatever you want within reason. Many of the perks simply will not fit your build, and some I really struggle to find any use for at all.

So I have all the settlements, just did “The Nuclear Option” and I think that’s the end of the game. It’s funny how beating the main quest makes you lose a bit of motivation to play. Ultimately we are new experience monkeys, and it seems like all radiant quests from here on. Which is cool, but now there is no endgame. My settlements are so packed I had to turn recruitment beacons off. My caravans cross the land. I think I can consider Boston taken back now.

Now when is Elder Scrolls 6?

There are a lot of self contained mini quests out there that you can stumble on. This game is literally packed with stuff.

While I agree that as gamers we are sort of programmed to turn off after the “big thing” is done in these sorts of games, in this game that’s really not necessary, or desirable. The main quest is less than stellar, and doesn’t solve a damn thing, really, and stuff respawns. The real draw is the firefights; even if you take out one faction or more, their remnants persist, and you’ll still have them pop up in battles here and there. A bigger limitation for me is that by the time I do the end of the main quest I’m so high level and so kitted out that one of the main reasons I love games like this–loot–is no longer really relevant. It’s all about completing stuff or just the experience.

But man, there is so much stuff here. You can probably get through the main quest in 30-40 levels, if not a lot sooner, but if you do, you’ve missed most of what the game has to offer. My runs now have me putting off the main quest stuff forever.

I think I’m level 50 and pretty much maxed out for weapons and equipment. I still find things that kick my ass though.

I still haven’t finished the main quest. Keep getting side tracked. I just finished the Mechanist DLC quest at level 54. It was the first time that I was locked in an area with no ability to use my stealth so I really struggled. Not being able to disengage and get the stealth multiplier meant that I had to go toe to toe for some of it. More reloads than I have ever had. Luckily I had some robot repair kits to keep Ada in the fight. Still was a tough one.

Oh and Demolition Expert 2 makes grenades so much more fun. You can actually see the arc and flight path. Wow.

Now, I won’t even use grenades without that perk. Molotovs still will prematurely explode on a tiny corner of something, but at least with the perk you have a much better chance of not immolating yourself or your companion. The perk is great for tossing stuff into windows, which is very hit or miss otherwise.

That Mechanist final fight is definitely a cage match. It’s much easier for a commando-type, or if you’re in power armor. My stealth type experiences there are sort of like yours, though if you have a one-shot-one-kill type weapon at that point you can make it a bit easier.

Gotta say, after reading a bunch of criticisms of Fallout 4, I am surprised at how much I’m loving it. I was looking for a new open world RPG after Witcher 3, Watch Dogs 2 just wore thin after a while. but Fallout 4 is really scratching my itch for a big open world to explore in any way that I want. As with Skyrim, it’s a different animal than W3, which I’m cool with - give me a Skyrm or Fallout every 2 years and a Witcher 3 every year in between and I don’t need any more games. ;)

I finished the mission to track down the guy who (trying to be vague here) the detective led me to (and Dogmeat!) who had info on my son, and was shocked when I came out on the roof of the building and a HUGE airship was flying over me along with a couple of smaller verticraft. Holy crap! With their PA announcing who they were. etc. Is that a timed event that occurs after that mission? I’d never seen any aircraft before then. Then, heading to a mission across the map I hear some fighting, wandered over and saw two of the verticraft fighting some super mutants, they also dropped a couple of soldiers to fight. Very cool.

While I prefer to be a loner. I have enjoyed the couple of companions I’ve traveled with so far (Deacon and Valentine.) I like Valentine’s Sam Spade persona, but I REALLY like that he can hack any terminal, since I’ve put no points into that!

While I love love love Witcher 3 and the world and the writing and the feeling of being in an incredible movie or novel trilogy, I also love the kind of world that Bethesda gives you in which to explore. I walk everywhere, and it’s hard to actually get to my destination because there is SO much to explore. I swore I was going to head back to Diamond City, then ended up seeing a Raider on a tall structure, so I had to get closer, then saw an entire cool industrial building site, crawling with Raiders, so there’s another hour of game time just exploring misc “Stuff.”

One question: do Medical Kits on walls and sitting on tables get refilled? I was walking past what appears to have been a retirement home that I’d cleared out earlier in the game. I wandered through it again, and found a few wall medicine kits that I know I’d emptied before (one behind a locked steel door that I had to unlock again) and they were filled with supplies again.

The general rule seems to be that containers in the outside world will respawn every few in-game days (provided you don’t go near that area for that duration of time – passing through the area frequently tends to prevent containers from respawning). On the other hand, containers in the outside world can reset when you enter/exit a building. I’ve made the mistake of dumping loot in a mailbox, going into a building, then finding the mailbox reset to random junk when I came back out. I don’t trust any exterior containers now except for the ones in settlements.

However, containers in most interior areas never respawn. There may be exceptions, but even if you’re sent back to someplace you’ve cleared for a subsequent quest, the containers will remain as they were from your last visit even though new enemies have been spawned.

I think most locations have a restock timer which might be a little longer on Survival (it is for enemies if I remember correctly). This is ingame days, not real time.

Yes, and I too was pretty impressed. Also from this point on you will be seeing BoS troops patrolling and fighting all around the greater bean town wasteland.[quote=“JeffL, post:4713, topic:71429”]
One question: do Medical Kits on walls and sitting on tables get refilled?
[/quote]

I’m pretty sure for all the POI “dungeons” that they do get restocked when the inhabitants respawn. Makes for some nice repeatable scrounging expeditions.

The timing depends on whether it shows “cleared” or not, as well.

edit - just as an aside, Dogmeat looks awesome with welding goggles

Also, get ready to see those vertibirds get shot down every time they so much as engage a couple of hobos armed with slingshots. I’ve bought it more than a few times when one crashed on/near me.

Vertibirds dropping like flies bothered me too, (this) mod made it a bit better. At higher levels they still go down pretty often, but they’re up against missiles and plasma weapons at that point so it’s a little less jarring.

One of the reasons I love the Bethesda open world games for all their jankiness: I’m my own DM.