Fallout 4

The other day I was talking to Brother so and so at some cult camp in this old outdoor theater place, working on a quest about someone who was supposed to be there. While in the middle of dialog, this Vertibird crashes right on top of us, killing half the cult members, and knocking me and the dude I’m talking to ass over teakette. In the confusion I just sneak around back and do what I came to do, and skulked off while the culties are all flummoxed about the BoS dudes stomping around the place looking for, I dunno, some raider or something. Pretty funny.

Haha, that makes me want to get the game now rather than wait for the full package deal more than anything that I’ve read so far. Hilarious!

That’s what this game does best, the weird. Not the scripted “ooh, we’re going to be weird,” like the Weird West in F:NV (which was a great game, don’t get me wrong), but the weird as in “Huh, I had no idea THAT could happen.”

It’s like the time I was living in (what was then West) Berlin, in 1987 or 1988, and the anarchists were protesting the IMF or World Bank or something. I come out of a U-Bahn tunnel and right into a massive fight between riot police and rioters. The place is full of teargas, and it’s full-on chaos. Only in that case, there were no bodies (thankfully!), nothing to loot, and I didn’t have power armor.

In Fallout 4, though, stuff like that happens all the time. My favorite thing to do is “march to the sound of the guns,” and see who is rumbling with who. Then I finish off the survivors (unless they are a faction I don’t want to piss off yet) and pick through the loot. Three-ways are particularly fun. I’ve been in firefights where an Alpha Deathclaw crashes the party, where the BoS drops by, where Synths decide to do the Institute’s bidding right there and then, etc. It’s quite an embarrassment of riches to have to choose between sniping a Deathclaw, a Legendary Gunner, or a rogue robot.

And after 500+ hours I’m still finding stuff–in the base game, no less–that I’ve never done. So. Much. Content.

I love doing that too. Every time it’s like, “hey what’s going on here guys? Mind if I loot?”

Another cool tidbit is going to somewhere and hear the underlings talking about the boss guy, or find their notes talking trash about each other. The comments of each raider group talking about the others are also funny.

Based on the comments above I loaded up Tougher Vertibirds mod. I’ve shot down some but have yet to have one crash on me hopefully the mod will prevent that. Now I just have to remember they have a damage threshold I have to meet to shoot them down.

I had[quote=“Skipper, post:4723, topic:71429”]
I’ve shot down some but have yet to have one crash on me hopefully the mod will prevent that. Now I just have to remember they have a damage threshold I have to meet to shoot them down
[/quote]

I’d built up The Castle as a Minuteman stronghold and had just fast traveled there to chat up Preston. I had banished errr I mean assigned him there to run the place. I start walking over to see him and he pulls out his gun and crouches down yelling something like here they come. I look behind me and a BoS vertibird is swooping in for an attack. I pulled out my .50 deadeye sniper rifle and using vats took out the pilot and gunner who then fell into the castle courtyard. The kill cam showed me the whole thing from inside the vertibird cabin. It ended up crashing onto the Castle wall. It was pretty awesome.

That’s pretty epic!

I build a shed with comfy chairs, a coffee table, and a lantern, well away from the workbench in Sanctuary, in an attempt to lure the gajillion former companions away from the freakin garage. No luck. They still hang around pestering me.

Love the game but ran into a very bad bug related to Automatron. Seems that if you build an army of robot provisioners (to run out of the Mechanist Lair), at some point, some of them will lose all their upgrades and just become standard robots. Apparently this has been around for months and Bethesda has done nothing to fix this. Ticks me off, I was going to recall all my provisioners and put them to work, and run everything through the Lair with robots since you can’t do much else there. Scotch that plan now :(

I heard about that but I did the same thing you did anyway (Lair as warehouse, robots provisioners to all settlements.) I’ve played ~10 hours since and haven’t had them reset, how long did it take for you to experience the bug?

It’s too bad if there’s no workaround, I enjoyed pacifying the wasteland with my army of OP yet reasonably priced provisioners (Mr. Handy body, all voltaic armor, double automatic lasers and they’re ready to solo a high level super mutant patrol with masters etc.)

Speaking of provisioners, I’ll tout this absolutely critical mod here. Replaces brahmins with eyebots.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/14395/?

Third robot provisioner I built :(

Dang. I have about 11 or 12 running about without problems (yet.) One paranoid thing I did was to get each one upon creation to join me as a companion, and then dismissing it before assigning to a route. Not sure if that makes a difference.

(Went through that extra step because I read that built robots don’t get the essential flag flipped on until they join you as a companion. )

That’s what I’ve been doing as well, and it hasn’t stopped them from dying if the settlement is raided when they are near.

I ran into my first area where I just decided this is too much for me, I’ll come back later. I’m only about level 15 ? but I’ve got the Deliverer pistol silenced and modded up, a 50 caliber silenced sniper rifle, a railroad spike gun that does about 140 damage, a shotgun modded up that does about 105 damage as my main weapons.

So I stumbled into the lift that took me to a location I won’t mention for spoiler reasons, but I was surrounded by autotrons and turrets and all kinds of bad guys, all firing at once, nowhere to hide. The simultaneous close fire was just overwhelming. Tried 3 times, killed quickly every time. Need to figure out a different approach.

Yeah, fun to hear the factions fighting, mostly the BOS fighting the mutants, etc. I’ve also run into locations filled with dead mutants and a couple of dead other faction. There’s a very cool feeling of a world going on around you that isn’t dependent on you being there. Very nice.

You could try a stealth boy maybe? Shooting the barrels seems to have better results sometimes than the other parts. It’s a bit of investment but getting ballistic weave through the railroad quests can really help with survival. Have to put some points in armorer though.

And there is always just suiting up in power armor. That can be quite effective.

ah, I have more than one stealth boy, good idea…

Does the difficulty (in terms of the enemy) ramp up linearly with your own level or does it jump in steps at times? I seem to be having a harder time than I used to taking out bad guys. I’m level 21 or so. For example, I wandered into a forge, and ran into a guy named Slag - I suspect I may have messed up a side quest that goes with this but I just randomly found it. Once the battle with Slag started it was almost impossible to kill him. Finally, I decided to hit him with a mini-nuke/Fat Boy - to my shock, it only took him down about 25% in health! I tried about 5 times, and ended up somehow hitting him with three nukes and then finished him off with a railgun, but holy crap! Of course the nukes killed the innocents in the room too. Not far from there I ran into a protectron, which I usually can take out with my 50 cal sniper rifle after a couple of hits - not this one!

Also, I’ve decided I need to keep Nick Valentine as my sidekick for a while. Purely because I’ve not put points into hacking, and I’m running into a lot of places with a master terminal and I’m just out of luck. Valentine being able to hack them makes him indispensable!

How the hell do you get him to hack anything? I’ve never been able to get a companion to do squat that I didn’t already have the ability to do, and even then, half the time the object won’t highlight. Shrug.

But as to the difficulty, I’m not sure how it ramps up exactly but there do seem to be plateaus at times. If the bad guy doesn’t have a skull indicating he/she/it is a lot higher level than you, it’s probably a matter of gear or tactics. The difference, say, between a VATS sneak attack crit and a normal non-sneak non-crit attack is amazingly large, for instance.

I’ve had Cait pick locks. She couldn’t open the master level ones though. I had to give her some bobby pins and then interact with her to order her and then click on the safe. [quote=“TheWombat, post:4736, topic:71429”]
The difference, say, between a VATS sneak attack crit and a normal non-sneak non-crit attack is amazingly large, for instance.
[/quote]

My sneak attack bonus is 4.8. I’ve seen youtube videos where it’s 5.x but I’m not sure how they get that. I have maxed rifleman, max sniper, max ninja and max mr sandman.

Doh, I never gave anyone bobby pins so that might explain the lockpicking. But Nick is supposed to hack stuff, and every time I “command” him and point at the terminal, it acts as if I am trying to hack it. /shrug. No biggie. At this point I am just fiddling around with different combat approaches anyhow, and exploring the limits of ultraviolence with the Modern Firearms mod. Facing bunches of Gunners armed with the same nasty weapons I have is actually fun, and Supermutants with AMRs or Vulcans is always a hoot.

I just finished the main quest at level 70 and I’m going to try the no addiction perk + chemist perk and goof around with jet. Just need a few more levels. I love the slow time effect. Slow time and exploding bullets with my automatic home made legendary rifle.