Fallout 4

I’m going around stealthing with an arsenal of suppressed automatic weapons: a variety of HK MP5-type SMGs and carbines in 9mm Parabellum, 10mm, and .45 ACP; a bullpup-stock 5.56mm assault rifle with an M203 40mm grenade launcher and a switchable reflex/scope sight; a 7.62x39mm assault rifle with a grenade launcher, and a 7.62x51mm (.308) light machine gun. I also tote around a .50 AMR, suppressed, which hits for 600 base damage. I’ve played round with a variety of big guns but they’re less useful on a pound for pound basis, though the 20mm anti-tank gun (130 carry weight!) with the zooming TV camera sight is hilarious in some ways.

With explosives perks maxed, using VATS to target someone with a 40mm grenade is…gibbilicious. Especially if they are in the midst of a group, and you have a crit banked.

And my companions are also fully outfitted in battle rattle, with modern armor and silenced weapons. And given that in this game you can sneak up into a room with people who will never see you while you are wearing power armor…yeah, it’s fun. It’s balanced to the extent it is with this mod by the fact that the bad guys can one-shot you too, but still I’d never recommend what I’m doing until you have gone through the game a few times more or less vanilla. But at this point, I don’t know if I could go back to using the stock weapons, which are pretty lackluster.

That sounds awesome. I would love a grenade launcher but I think I am going to hold off until I complete the DLC.

Are you using any mods to increase the encounter spawn size and difficulty?

Jet’s the bomb. Saved my hide plenty of times on Survival. Anyone who tells you not to take it is crazy!

No, not that I know of. I’m finding the respawns and size of encounters plenty challenging though. ESPECIALLY when fast traveling to a “Settlement X is under attack” mission. Oy vey. Spawning in on top of three or four heavily-armed and armored high-level or Legendary bad guys is usually fatal. I’ve had to start fast traveling to the nearest point and going overland to avoid dying before the PC loads me in.

The increased lethality of the modded weapons cuts both ways fairly evenly. I’m finding it about the same difficulty overall as my level 71 commando guy run using only stock weapons. The difference is the higher proportion of one-shots on both ends, but the number of player deaths is about the same as far as I can see.

BTW, the combo of the weather mod and the modern weapons is great. Sneaking through a driving rainstorm and silently dispatching sentries is oh-so Rainbow Six ish. The only downside is when anyone wants to talk to you; the audio mixing with the weather mod is off and you can’t hear talking well in the storms.

Same here. I build a fast travel mat via resources, misc (I think, have to check) that lets you pick where to spawn when you fast travel. So I put it up on a guard post where I can figure out the situation at the settlement first and not get ambushed. I try to keep some cloth on me when I go to settlements not connected to my supply lines so that I can build the mat there…so I still get ambushed every once in a while.

[quote=“JeffL, post:4735, topic:71429, full:true”]
Does the difficulty (in terms of the enemy) ramp up linearly with your own level or does it jump in steps at times? I seem to be having a harder time than I used to taking out bad guys. I’m level 21 or so. For example, I wandered into a forge, and ran into a guy named Slag - I suspect I may have messed up a side quest that goes with this but I just randomly found it. Once the battle with Slag started it was almost impossible to kill him. [/quote]

For what it’s worth I’m level 55 I think and still run into difficult encounters, it really depends on who it’s with though. This is especially true for legendary units. Sometimes they are a cake walk, sometimes they seemingly can take 25 shots and only lose 1/4 health. I do think you’re on to something though because I’ve found every few levels I struggle a little bit. Perhaps the auto-enemy-leveling happens every 5 levels? I don’t know for sure.

As an example of when I struggled and how you can really find multiple solutions to the issue, I had one hell of a time with a long boss fight against the final enemy for the Automatron DLC. I mean like, reloaded probably 50+ times, tried different sidekicks, tried different weapons, everything.

I finally beat that encounter by totally cheesing through it putting myself somewhere in the encounter room that allowed me to slip in and out of line of sight of the boss. I would pop out, kill the adds during the encounter (there are many,) ping the boss a few times, then pop back in once spotted or when area damage was happening. It was just far enough out of the way that I could do that. I am not a rifle build, but it took me using a rifle to get through that and I went through several hundred rounds on that fight, as well as a good handful of stimpacks.

Cheesy way to win? For sure. But it worked.

And even if you are a lone wanderer, take a follower to those fights. It allows you to break aggro on you, giving you a bit of a breather until the next time your sidekick takes a knee to heal.

What is it listed as? I was trying to do this but all I see are generic “mats.” Is it just one of them?

Indeed. And I’m ruthless; knowing the follower is not going to croak, I’ll let mine engage the enemy then hose down the whole area. God will know his own!

Except for Dogmeat. Him, I stimpack and try not to hurt. Because, dog.

I haven’t brought dogmeat with me but isn’t he listed as essential in FO4?

It’s in the “resources” i.e. food, water etc. section. The sub section is miscellaneous. Then it’s right past the siren. It’s called a “fast travel mat.”

I’m not messing around building a lot of settlements, but I decided to make the Boathouse my “home.” Got a nice doghouse that Dogmeat hangs around, and I send companions there when I decide to go alone or with someone else. (Though I lost Nick Valentine - assigned him there, couldn’t find him anywhere, then wondered if he’d gone to the Memory Recovery woman’s place since that was the next mission in the main quest, and sure enough that’s where he was.)

However, I realized I couldn’t build workshops at Taffington Boathouse without a perk I had ignored, so I couldn’t really do much. So to my chagrin I ended up putting a couple more points into Charisma (does that or Personality impact persuasion?) so i could add the perk to move stuff between settlements and then build workbenches. I may just spend a little time then, a break from the wilderness, to see what I can do building.

Questions:

1. How do you actually accomplish the stuff being moved between communities? I had dropped some junk one place, but after I got the perk I saw it was not available at Taffington.

2. How do you put a window in a wall?

As for Valentine hacking, I just point him to the terminal, he goes to it, types, says “hmmm, OK, that looks like it” and hacks it.

It’s under “Resources”, not “Decorations”.

Every settlement work bench that is joined by a supply line shares all the resources in the junk folder. So if you have a bunch of cement at Sanctuary but need to build cement walls at Taffington, you get access to those resources. When you build something, unless you have a basic version of the component, things get broken down/scraped to provide the resources. This makes setting up defenses a lot easier since you don’t have to hall all the components i.e. circuit boards, oil etc. around.

I don’t think you can without a mod. You can build new wall sections that are supposed to have windows but a lot of them are just broken glass.

As in you can’t kill him? Sure, same as the other companions. I’m just saying I have no problem letting Preston “I’m so emo” Garvey linger in pain and agony, but as soon as Dogmeat gets a nick on his paw I’m there with the stimpak.

Ah - connected by a supply line. At no point in the game am I instructed on how to do that - so how do I do that?

Go to a settlement that has available settlers. Go into workshop mode then choose a settler and hit the “supply line” button (I think it is C). The legend is along the bottom of the screen in workshop mode.

Wait a second and you will see the settler assignment will change to a brahmin. They will pack start walking off to the settlement you choose. I think the link is automatic, so you could fast travel and get there before the provisioner and still have a linked workbench.

Another one of those things that you come across and go hmmmm.

So it looks like the guy dug up this safe, tried to open it and then blew himself to smithereens either through a booby trap or bad explosive safety measures. LOL.

Worth adding that once you have linked settlements, any junk you drop off at one settlement will not show up in the others, but the resources comprising that junk will still be available at all linked settlements to build from. So if you deposit 12 basketballs at Sanctuary, they will not show up in Covenant’s workshop even though a supply line connects them. But the 36 rubber from all that will instantly come your way once you try to build something at Covenant that uses it.

The whole assigning settlers process is baffling to me. I went up to a settler in Sanctuary who was assigned to food. There’s no button or anything (PS4) along the bottom that indicates anything about assigning her to anything. Just Go Cancel and Exit, I just started randomly hitting buttons, and R1 gave me the supply line option. I don’t even recall now how I assigned this person to food!