Fallout 4

If you can walk the armorless frame to a power armor station, then go to the craft view, then equip the head-shoulders-knees-and-toes as you prefer, then exit the craft view, it should be good to go. In the craft view you can mount the equipment on the frame, repair it, and modify it.

I was under the impression that once I took the Castle, Preston would give me a very powerful/cool outfit?

http://i.imgur.com/n3ZCaR0.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/dlQUKt8.jpg

But I’ve harped enough about it.

Hey, this is why we’re here! Keep harping, I have no problem with the discussion. Besides, we’re talking about some great games despite any of this. If we cant talk about games here, where can we?!? :)

Also it’s been a while since I played FO3, was it really that linear? I remember it though as amazing simply because for the first time you could see the wasteland in true 3D, not like FO1 and FO2. I still enjoyed it.

My gripe wasn’t about the main quests which seems to be the main topic with regards to quest quality or meaningful choices, but about the other quests with these qualities.

In fallout 3 and NV the would definitely changed depending upon your choices in many, many side quests. In fallout 4, these choices were almost completely missing. For the most part, it came down to " Do the side quest or don’t do the side quest. While in the previous titles, how you did the side quests affected the outcome of the story.

Yes, F4 has a few of these, a very few. The other games were packed with quests like this.

Eh, depends on your definition of “change.” I never felt that what I did in NV changed much, and one whole option (the Legion) was pretty much a non-starter, as in typical video game fashion they were laughably evil and hardly a viable choice. And the sorts of changes the player could effect on the game world were superficial at best, IMO.

But that’s ok, because everyone has their own approach to these things. I got so, so much play time out of F3, NV, and now F4 that I’m happy all around; it’s like quibbling over different variations on cheesecake. It’s all still yummy.

Then again, I don’t play RPGs to role-play. I play them as progress quests, really, and FPS type RPGs as shooters with depth. My favorite game of all time may well be System Shock, the original, closely matched by the original Deus Ex. I did enjoy the stories there, true, but the main draw for me was a first-person shooter style environment with loot, progression, and tactical options. In the end, neither Shodan nor MJ12 mattered to me as much as that.

I believe you highlight the piece of armor, then use the “T” key to equip on the frame. Or maybe it’s the “R”, I can’t remember, have to get back to you.

No, but taking the Castle is the start. There’s another quest tjere that will give you a powerful outfit but PA is still much better.

OK - so I abandoned my other story lines and took up the Minuteman line just because this Minuteman General’s Armor is supposed to be so great (and I have not used the Armorer perk yet so all of my current armor is a patchwork of stuff I’ve found.) To quote an article on top 10 armor (outside of power armor) in the game:

I put this at number 1 because it provides exceptionally high damage and energy resistances as well as being very easy to obtain. It’s perhaps the strongest armor in the entire game and will be used by the majority of players for most of their play time.

OK - the mishmash of armor I had on before I found this (I’m at level 30, but not really finding a lot of super armor and the Legendary stuff I find all seems to have less DR) - leg armor from here, chest armor from there, etc. - with no mods I’ve added since I have no Armorer perks, gives me 96-89-25. When I equip the general’s outfit, with my helmet instead of the general’s hat (since it has 0 DR) I get 57-86-0

And I can’t apparently put anything on (other than headgear) when I have the general’s outfit. What am I missing??

It’s not good. Lots of people on PC run mods that let them upgrade it, but since you can’t upgrade it they you’re definitely going to be better off with one of the patchwork sets. While it didn’t really bother me since I liked the look of it, your vault suit with stuff over it upgrading parts along the way is the way to go. Not only will you get lots of bonuses as you upgrade, but you can have 5 unique legendary parts that way which means you can get 5 bonuses there and can have 5 deep pockets mods if you need to carry everything but don’t want to mod.

Your missing nothing. And back to gripes against the Fallout series, this is a major one. Compared to Witcher 3 where the armor sets were FUCKING AMAZING, armor in Fallout seems like all the other loot in Fallout, a crap shoot. So you end up with a hodgepodge of non-matched pieces that give you the net effect you want.

Getting the armorer perk lets you customize a bit but yeah, I finally switched to the expanded armor mod or whatever it is called. You can put ballistic weave on a lot of things with it. Also makes Reginald’s suit a real tuxedo instead of the monstrosity that it was before. I run Coursers outfit, battered fedora (both with ballistic weave), +1 Agi and +1 Per armor pieces plus a + 2 luck piece and a chest plate that speeds up AP regen. Some of the mod upgrades are pretty nice like ultra light or shadowed.

I ended up doing the same. Also the legendary items mod, which depending on what option you pick, lets you add legendary effects to armor items, which makes things sooooooo much better.

Have to see which armor mods are available for the PS4. Haven’t used any on the weapons.

Agree 100% with the criticism of the armor in this game. Aesthetically, it blows goats. Upgrades are bland and once you get the right mix, there’ s nothing that’s going to be better. The Marine Armor in the Far Harbor DLC is far and away the best armor in the game, and once you have it, everything else sucks.

Just being able to 1) wear more pieces over more base garments, and 2) fucking customize the look even if you don’t change the values would be a godsend for the game.

Man - after seeing all the great buildings people have built, I decided to try to do something with Taffington Boathouse. I took it early, cleared it all out, built weapons and armor and chemistry workbenches, some storage, a couple of beds upstairs in the house. A couple of generators over by the water, water purifier, some food plants. Three turrets on the house. I only have 2 or 3 companions that I sent there, no settlers yet,

But today I wanted to just see what I could do build this into a really nice “home” settlement. All I wanted to do first was put some stairs up to the roof and then start building on the roof.

But DAMN - simply getting stairs lined up to get to the roof in some way that doesn’t demand big jumps was ridiculous (and it still looks crappy.) Since I have no idea how to cut a hole in the ceiling of the house to have stairs inside lead up to it, I have to work from the outside. It’s just frikkin impossible to move myself without falling off the first overhang roof such that ladders line up right. I’ll get the second ladder to “click” to the first one in every direction but the direction it needs to be. Why can’t there be a way to line things up that doesn’t depend on me moving my character around???

Very discouraging and no idea how people make such cool Boathouse build ups.

1. Having armor piece be more than a random chunk half the time would help as well.

If you wore a full “suit” of combat armor you still looked like a refugee who just strapped pieces of cars to themselves.

Mods. There are some that make placement much easier, and allow you to scrap things that can’t otherwise be scrapped.

PS4 - I’ve got a mod for scrapping but haven’t seen one for placement.

Ah, there’s one called Place Anywhere but it’s only for PC I believe.