Fallout 4?

Yes, Fallout 4 will be a year late. It should come out RIGHT NOW based on the last decade of Bethesda’s releases. Given history, they’re going to want an ~8 month hype train, which means Fallout 4 will not come out until next fall. Fallout 4 will be a year late. If not ESO, then why will Fallout 4 be a year late, given that they already have the engine? Do you have a better theory than ESO mucking things up somehow?

You are making a lot of assumptions.

Fallout 4 isn’t even a real thing, it cannot possibly be late. No one knows anything about what engine it may or may not be using. You asked me if I can come up with a better theory than an unrelated game by a different studio. Yeah, sure - maybe they didn’t start working on Fallout 4 nearly as early as everyone is assuming, or maybe they are building a completely new engine for their open world tech, and Fallout 4 will be the first to show case it, but it’s taking time to develop a massive, open world RPG AND a new engine. Maybe the two massive expansions for Skyrim and the years of post-release support that game enjoyed contributed - I’m certain that would be more likely than ESO being any factor whatsoever.

Why do you insist you could be right, given you have almost no facts and aren’t even involved in the game on any level? Chill out, when and if Fallout 4 gets announced, we will THEN have a release date time-table. Until then it’s not late, or early, or even a game. It’s definitely not getting this worked up about.

Let me try again: Bethesda is a publisher, as well as a company with in-house development.

The development of ESO did not affect anything, because it’s a separate studio inside the company.

From a marketing and sales standpoint for Bethesda as a publisher, however, they likely projected their release schedule out about 24 months ago anticipating ESO having longer coattails (than it did) they didn’t want to step on.

ESO released in April of 2014. You can understand how Bethesda would want to go into an E3 8 weeks after launch of their first MMO and NOT want to talk about or announce anything new, right? How they’d want their focus at E3 to be strictly geared to all things ESO at that point in things? That’s just how marketing and promotion work.

Doesn’t mean at all that FO4 hasn’t been in development for a while. In fact, if you listen to the past week’s podcast, someone who seems to know some things about it suggests that it has indeed been in the works for many years, will be announced this winter/spring, and come out in the fall.

Pushing past that, that same person–Desslock–makes another good point about the game not being “late” per se. It was 2 years from Oblivion to Fallout 3. It was 3 years from Fallout 3 to Skyrim. 4 years to Fallout 4 doesn’t seem weird.

Another point the estimable Mr. Desslock makes regarding Fallout 4 is that the new generation of consoles likely also figures into things. Makes absolute sense for Bethesda to want to see the console world repopulate with PS4’s and XBones so they don’t have to make 360 or PS3 versions of the game.

LOL at anyone suggesting a game that hasn’t been announced and is only a rumor is “a year late.”

I can also assure you that nobody working on whatever the Skyrim team is working on worked on ESO. Completely different teams, like suggesting Call of Duty is impacted by the work of the WoW team at Blizzard.

Yes, assumptions are sort of the point of this whole thread.

Well sure, maybe, but considering how Skyrim was the best 3D engine I’ve ever played, and incredibly extendible, I would rate this as… unlikely. The only thing the Skyrim engine might lack would be multiplayer, and I would hope Bethesda wouldn’t want to go there anyway.

Yes, but it’s the same product. Do you seriously believe the TES team just handed over their baby without a single meeting? Without discussing the existing TES lore? Without discussing where they wanted to go with TES:VI to make sure the ESO team didn’t do anything that would screw up their future plans? You can bet they had meetings. Lots of meetings. Sure, maybe this was just background noise and ultimately irrelevant. But it was there.

This sounds likely. The result is ultimately the same – we can thank ESO for not seeing Fallout 4 this year.

I regret ever clicking on this thread. Madness.

I really hope Bethesda is taking advantage of the newer systems for their next SP games. It would be great if they could leverage some of the new technology. Having said that, I think they’ve more or less got the technology down for the game they do, and writer/designers are more where they could develop. So fingers crossed, but not toes.

Like telling the dog to stay off the couch.

Ha! Boston accents incense me. I hate all things Boston/Mass because of that fucking accent. I think Ted is the only thing with a Boston accent that I have ever liked in my life.

hell, as an American, I’d love to see more games set in Europe. I’ve never been to Miami, I’ve only spent a couple weeks in LA and NYC and Boston, and setting a game in one of those isn’t familiar enough to make it fun to see my favorite hot dog stand and isn’t foreign enough to be an exciting discovery. And I suspect much of the US market is like that, with some variance in the cities in the list. I would much rather explore Zurich or Cairo or Berlin if it’s going to be something I don’t know; if they can’t make up some marginally plausible explanation for why everything is in English there, put it in London or Dublin or Sydney. And if they really need some landmarks to have set pieces in, London or Paris or Rome are probably familiar enough to set up a fight at Big Ben or the Eiffel Tower or the Coliseum. But somewhere else.

As an American, I can’t wait for the rest of the world to get ruined for once. We’ve been hoarding the apocalypse for too long.

I would love a Fallout game in Russia.

Miami! Fallout Vice!

New Orleans! Fallout Bayou!

Paris! Killer radioactive mimes! Sneering chainsmoking mutants with waxed moustaches!

Having lived in and around Boston for most of my adult life, I’m pretty excited to see the game set there. It will be fun to wander around familiar areas. Pedantry aside (“how can a game that hasn’t been officially announced be late?”), it’s a little annoying that it has taken them so long to get to this next version. I think to some extent, though, this is the new digital distribution world. You hump the hell out of a game until it is so familiar that only a new version will actually reinvigorate interest, at which point you need to deliver some massive, sprawling opus or some major mechanical or technical improvements because it’s been 8 years since the last game and people are like “how the hell did this take 8 years to make?” as if you did nothing but work on it that whole time.

Fallout 4 sounds like it will be awesome. Everything we know about it is shaping up perfectly.

Confirmed. It’s gonna be a mobiles only Bejeweled clone with PIP-BOY graphics. Free to play.

Marketing campaign:

War has changed. Play for free.

If you were from where I was from you’d be fucking dead. Ain’t that a wicked pissa.

-Todd

I actually would prefer a setting closer to home. Why not have a Fallout game in the Midwest? You can have factories next to baseball stadiums next to cornfields. Heck, maybe its time for the Fallout franchise to have a winter game.

Or, how about Detroit? “Imagine: abandoned and derelict buildings, and vast stretches of anarchy where only violent gangs dare to tread. Then the apocalypse came.”

Sorry, low blow.

Detroit would be a fantastic setting for Fallout.

ESO had nothing to do with Bethsoft.

Not bullshit.