Fallout 76 - Multiplayer, online, BGS Austin

I’m a weirdo who liked the game as it was at launch. I thought the environmental storytelling was amazing, and didn’t mind the lack of NPC’s.

Eventually I quit when I got to the south side of the map and found that the enemies were too much for me to tackle solo, and I wasn’t really interested in the endgame content.

I’m tempted to get back in, but I’m afraid the NPCs are going to make it different enough to put me off from it

Hey, me too! @TheWombat as well, if I remember correctly. There must be dozens of us! Dozens!

I mean, objectively the game was a POS in many ways and had a ton of problems. But I still liked it!

Look at us! We are (anything but) legion!

I think it helped me having the right expectations going in. Learning that the team behind it had alumni from games like Ultimate Online and Star Wars Galaxies meant I was prepared for a game that was largely empty, but with systems in place for users to build their own society.

But also some of those quests were fantastic. Just reading these tragic stories of all these people, and finding environmental remnants of some of the events. The Mistress of Mystery quest still sticks with me

Yeah, at launch it was a hot mess but still really cool to play, in most respects. I actually preferred the pre-NPC version, but overall the stuff they’ve added has certainly brought more to the table over time. I haven’t played in ages though largely because the end game was so tedious and I just couldn’t be bothered with daily quest grinds for currency.

For all of you that noped out early on. Either for legendary weapons or because of the lack of NPCs. Or for the ones that reached the end of “the story”. Of course, depending upon if you left after Nuclear Winter. Or before the PITT updatee.

It might be worth your time.

For the people that loved the Rust-like survival version and liked that food and water was the thing. You probably would not like it. Many folks on various forums and on the fo76 agree with you. YMMV

I played it at launch for a long time, with several alts. I found it to be both poorly designed and poorly executed. It inevitably attracted hardcore players who promptly ruined it for everyone else.

Not sure how so-called hardcore players ruined it for anyone, unless you mean the early days of PvP when moderate griefing was moderately common. That pretty much ended when folks realized there was little payoff, material or emotional, in ganking people due to largely meaningless consequences for the victims. The only hardcore-like things I’ve seen is the presence of super-high leveled characters that make me feel inadequate until I realize they must have spent literally weeks in the game world and playing this and nothing else. At which point I just laugh at them.

I suppose that it depends upon when you played it. Early on, or so I have heard, it was easy to dupe weapons and “inject code” into them. So players that were hardcore, were able to create the legacy weapons. That is, weapons that were so OP that they were able to kill super bosses like Earle and the scorch beast queen. Many people quit the game over that.

I was playing it at launch, and for several weeks thereafter, but never actually got to the end game at that point. I guess, too, what other people are doing in a predominantly PVE game doesn’t usually bug me much. It’s annoying, sure, to see folks with hacked weapons, and in combat with a boss that doles out experience and loot based on who did what, it can be really annoying. But not quit the game annoying, at least not for me. /shrug

I have Game Pass for a few more days before my subscription expires (don’t think I’m going to renew it right away since I haven’t been using it much). I’ve downloaded 76 to give it another shot.

If I enjoy it, I’ll just buy it on the current Humble Bundle sale. If not, it’ll be no skin off my back.

Welcome to the Wasteland, Vault Dweller!

Just got this for free from the scoreboard. Wow.

I’m kind of tempted but do I need Fallout 1 subscription to really enjoy it? I love love love Fallout 4 but hate hate hate the story line, it is blandest of bland and secretly cruel (the end game is to nuke one faction??? Fuck you) so I really want to give FO76 a go.

My personal take, and YMMV, in the beginning of the game you don’t need Fo1st at all. Later on, when you start to collect more stuff that you can carry, or fits in your stash, you might consider it.

You do not need Fo1st. But you, may, want it.

If you want to build bases, which is half the fun at least, you are going to need Fallout 1st IMO. The storage alone is almost mandatory. The other benefits like the survival hut (respawn/save point) helps during world activities but isn’t 100% necessary.

So I tried it again.

It feels like the new content has been stapled on to the old stuff. That’s kind of nice, since I can play it the “old way” if I want to, and still enjoy the new stuff separate. But it also feels a bit tacky.

Right now I’m going to pause because I’m afraid I’ll get hooked on it again. I can be a bit addictive with open world games like this

Thanks for the info. Maybe I’ll just replay FO4 or find another open world game to sink into, I love the base building bits in FO4 to bits, probably spend as much time managing the trade routes and building than exploring. Not sure I want to pay monthly.

Or just buy the Humble monthly and let it mellow in the backlog like everything else…

My MO has been to buy one month of Fallout 1st, play a lot of it, and then cancel. Six or twelve months later, do the same. Etc.

That’s what I do too. I enjoy playing it “single player” - so it’s worth it to clear my game world of the unwashed masses (and the unlimited crafting storage).

I don’t play on a solo server though because I like looking at other players’ dwellings and shopping at their vendors. I don’t really play it much any more though, as I’ve been through the leveling process several times and the end game always bores me.