Fallout 76 - Multiplayer, online, BGS Austin

I’m not dumping on people. I’m warning people to reset their Fallout RPG expectations. This is not that game. There’s as much RPG story content in this as all the other online survival crafting games.

You can warn people without putting them down, you know. And besides, I think we all know that now based upon what Hines said. No more guessing or speculation required.

So did Bethesda resolve their license dispute with Interplay? IIRC Interplay still got the rights for a Fallout MMO, while Bethesda got the single player Fallout games. Fallout 76 is neither here nor there if we are talking about MMO.

Huh? There’s absolutely nothing “massive” about F76’s multiplayer. It’s like 10-20 people per server.

I don’t see how these two work. I will wait and see. I liked the idea of what they said but what I saw, not so much.

When publishers talk about survival and forcing people to work together to survive and player made experiences, the only thing i can think is that in basically every one of these games, every person playing them is constantly the biggest asshole they can be in pretty much every situation.

I think of streamers griefing players.

We’ll see what happens, but I have a feeling they are in for a very fast learning curve about what happens in PvP games. This entire thing smacks of some serious naivete. ‘Hey, we’ve been making janky open world RPGs with crap combat for a long time, let’s do some PvP!’. Best of luck.

I’ve spent a lot of time on PvP servers, in a multitude of games, and the one thing that I’ve learned, is that if there is a way for people to be the biggest possible jerk they can be, they will do it, and do it repeatedly. Stuff like this caters to basement dwelling sociopaths with self esteem problems and a lot of free time.

‘Nukes will be hard to get’ …lol. Oh…how you underestimate the angry young hacking troll.

I’m going to be the most negative person in this thread, and predict that this is going to be a legendary shit show. /popcorn.

I could not agree more.

Hello, good day sir.

We are the Brotherhood of Steel and we want all your stuff. The BoS exist to protect humanity from all mistakes of the old era. Give us all the metal, wood, nuts and bolts and everything you farmed.

The Brothethood will also assit you killing mutants. Please wait a second while we scan you for mutations… BEEP BEEP

Indeed. I’m not sure they have figured out exactly what they want to do themselves. It was worrying to hear Hines get very vague and just utter those superficial and somewhat contradictory statements.

Agreed, No Game has figured that part out yet and from what I have seen I doubt they will.

Subnautica has a story. Conan Exiles has a story. I can easily see Bethesda pushing significantly further in this direction.

Though I am still on the fence about this, with a change in mindset I could see playing this in SP as the “sole survivor”, not expecting to find other people but just following clues as to what happened after the bombs fell, and trying to survive the dangers of the wasteland on what you can find. No shops and traders, no doctors, no people, just you, a true lonesome wander, though it would be nice to have a dog.

Wake me up when they implement this (“eventually”)?

Exactly. And don’t forget the false “anonymity” of the internet.

PvP needs to be highly structured if you want to avoid the worst symptoms of How Do You Kill, That Which Has No Life. ESO pvp works pretty well because at the worst you get T-bagged nowadays. Although, it too had its growing pains. Forward Camp trolling, safe zone ganking, etc. But never underestimate humans ability to find a way to grief other humans just for the sheer pleasure of it.

I fear F76 is in for some painful social teething pains unless they let you control access to your “instance.”

If I want to roleplay being a sociopath, who just emerged from a vault after 25 years, guess what, I"m gonna do it

hate the game, not the gamer

can we please move on

I can’t wait for Starfield

Don’t tell me who to hate. I’ll hate puppies if I feel like it.

So, is this game supposedly taking place in 2076? I thought the nuclear war in Fallout took place in 2077?

Subnautica is single player, and even then the story is stuff you piece together while survival-crafting. The main story is still the tale of you gathering a million bits of junk. YMMV but I don’t find that a compelling example of storytelling.

I mentioned Conan Exiles already. It’s a bit better, but getting to the story and NPC phase of the game as a single player experience still requires hours of rock breaking and tree chopping.