Fallout 76 - Multiplayer, online, BGS Austin

I don’t think so. 76 is just the name of the vault.

Yes and no. You’re right, in that if the game is specifically set up to allow behavior X, it’s the fault of the game, primarily. But it’s also ok to rag on people who want to roleplay being sociopaths. C.f., Westworld.

I think they enter the vault in 2076, and emerge in 2101.

I think you’re underselling Subnautica’s story, it’s more involved than that.

I don’t think we’re really even having the same discussion, though. You seem to see the survival aspects as the opposite of story (subtracting from it somehow?), where I think they’re just the gameplay skeleton that the story can be built around. Changing the gameplay verbs a little is largely irrelevant to how much authored story is in the game.

This is the confusing bit:

I said YMMV. If you think that’s involved storytelling or engaging enough to make up for the kind of RPG experience people were looking for in a Fallout game, then good for you I guess. It does not equal the kind of crafted (har har) story I look for in an RPG.

They could learn a great deal about how “player justice” works in free-for-all PvP games with a short conversation with Raph Koster. And they absolutely should.

Now if F76 isn’t a persistent world, or if it isn’t massively multiplayer, a lot of those problems go away. Sure player justice won’t really gel, but that doesn’t matter if people can just switch to another server to escape a hostile community. So that remains to be seen.

My personal response to all this is simple. If there’s even a 1% chance that another player could grief me ever, I won’t buy the game.

Same.

With the survival games I only want to do PvE with my friends in Co-op. Lots of those games do private servers. If that is not possible in Fallout 76, it will be a hard sell for me.

I hate people who say this.

They could solve the griefing issue by allowing people to flag themselves for PvP or having PvP-specific servers. If there’s no PvP allowed, and no friendly fire, having other people around would be nice IMO.

Well, not really “solve,” since people can get very creative, but it makes griefing much harder.

Yes indeed, it is very much possible to grief on a PvE server. From resource competition to mob trains, these skills have been honed over the decades.

Guild Wars 2 got it right. Never been griefed in that game. It’s the one and only online game I’ve played where I’m always happy to see another player, because they don’t have the ability to negatively impact my game and they’re a source of help for the various dynamic events going on.

I despise this point of view as well.

And this. If there is a way for an immature jerk to ruin the game, I just spend my time elsewhere.

I love this game for so long, and if you wanted a taste of PVP, there was a place to go and do it that had nothing to do with interfering with others.

This makes sense, as 2076 would have been immediately prior to the war, after we invaded canada. (looking like a possibility!)

Ron Pearlman’s voiceover had said “300 years since the founding of our country” which is what made me originally think of it.

Put it back in the vault, it ain’t done yet.

Shazam disagrees, and says it is John Denver, “Take Me Home, Country Roads” and even correctly identifies it as OST Fallout 76.

Yah, most def not John Denver.

If I do end up playing this, I hope to roleplay as The Mysterious Stanger. I’ll need to level quickly :)

I googled. Bethesda and Interplay lawsuit was settled re: Fallout MMO.