Fallout 76 - Multiplayer, online, BGS Austin

Obviously, yes. Why?

Then I am even more confused about what your preorder question tells you. I already mentioned I have no plans to preorder but it’s entirely possible I’ll pick it up week one. If that’s no distinction sales-wise, what’s the takeaway? That preorders are kind of dumb?

Preorders are an enthusiasm indicator. They don’t ultimately decide whether a product is successful, but that doesn’t make them uninteresting.

You think that’s still the case these days, with so many people going digital? Back wen we relied on GameStop and their limited stock I could see that being the case, less so nowadays.

Sure, because everybody gives you free crap for preordering. If you know you’re going to buy a game, you pre-order it. At least I do.

Just checking on Amazon, looks like the preorder bonus is access to the beta.

Not sure how useful this data point will be to stusser, but I voted pre-order. Not because I’m super excited but because Bethesda has only disappointed me once so far (ESO) so I figure it’s worth checking out early on.

Just to clarify, judging from the reddit post Telefrog linked above, the game will consist of 24-32 player instances, and players can play alone but (4-player) parties are recommended? Did I get that right?

Generally I prefer going solo, even in MMOs, and it sounds like my play style will be more or less supported. My interest will decline rapidly if it turns out grouping up is required, because I doubt I’ll have enough friends who’ll also be playing the game.

Yeah, you should be able to use the beta to decide if you want the game, and then cancel the pre-order if you decide against it. So that does make some sense.

ESO disappointed you? Mind if I ask why?

ESO at launch was a very different beast from what it is now. I was also pretty disappointed with it at launch.

It’s now one of my favorite MMOs.

Launch issues aside, I was mainly disappointed because it felt less Elder Scrolly and more generic MMOy, if that makes sense. As an MMO it was/is fine.

Sony being dicks about crossplay again.

I played it early on and found it more grindy than even WoW. I’m sure it’s changed, but it went so far outside the single-player game vibe that I loved I didn’t stay longer than a few weeks.

Still no beta codes here

Grindy? I honestly can’t think of any ‘grind’-based activities in TESO at all. The best way to level is questing, and the quests are largely excellent. There are no faction/ rep grinds. You can gear up via crafting, if you don’t want to wait for drops.

There are a few time-gated systems (mount training and crafting research). But these are more about logging in every day than grinding any activity.

At one point, grinding mobs was technically the fastest way to level. I remember reading about it. That may still be the case, actually.

Not for your first character, unless someone is feeding you sets of +training gear at different levels. And it’s still a crap way to go about it, as you end up skillpoint-restrained pretty quickly. Questing is almost as fast, feeds you skill points and also takes you through the part of the game they spent all the money developing ;)

That was on release, it may very well have changed since then. I certainly would never do it.