Fallout 76 - Multiplayer, online, BGS Austin

Yeah some really great moments like this, just wandering around and finding cool places and getting into trouble. My son and I just got overrun by feral ghouls (level 22-40+, we’re level 21) at the golf resort and we did the same; just running, shooting, yelling and all the while cars are blowing up and there’s fire and explosions and radiation burns and disease and broken bones!! It was chaos but the aftermath was amazing… just a line of ghoul bodies and burning vehicles along the golf course driveway. We took a snapshot to capture the memory forever! heh

I was wandering along a stretch of strip-mined hellishness, among ruined trains, when I came upon a building and some machinery. I heard a fight going on, lots of grunting and shooting that told me it was Mole Miners, but I assumed they were battling some ferals. I waited until the shooting stopped, then as I was moving in to loot the bodies, what did I see but the object of the miner’s affection…Mr. Deathclaw, still very much alive, charging right at me!

Luckily a few shotgun blasts to his pointy little head did the trick, but I had to go clean out my Civil War Union army uniform after that.

This is probably the likely reason, especially considering how engine bugs basically sit unaddressed until the modding community gets their debugging done and build SKSE, F4SE, and numerous individual DLL injected fixes.

e.g. Skyrim has a ton of crash fixes that I don’t even remember, which included a wholesale replacement of its in-game memory management, and other misc engine bugs (lipsync / some fps bugs) even made it into SkyrimSE which introduced its own engine bugs that all ended up refixed. FO4 has a few engine bugs, I recall one which resulted in super slow load times that was fixed by modders.

They purchased and built some extra studios and integrated them into BSG; I suppose they realized they cannot compete with 100 people team against Rockstars and CD Projekts of the world. Fallout 4, their lowest rated game in two decades and first time their game didn’t win most GOTYs was the evidence of that.

Sadly their first multistudio effort ended up even worse.

That would be a small dev team. I would imagine Rockstar has 300+ on RDR, especially towards the end.

Yes, that is what I wrote. CDP had 250 by the end of TW3 development and now has around 500 on cyberpunk. Rockstar actually had 1600 people on it:

As “Red Dead Redemption 2” wrapped up, it did so with a singular group not distinguished as Rockstar North or Rockstar Lincoln, but simply as Rockstar Games.

“Now we’re just one big group,” Nelson said. “It has allowed us to leverage the strength of locations, letting us hire the best people for each job from around the world.”

That decision didn’t come with some challenges. Chief among them, Nelson said, is keeping communication open between so mammoth a group of people. He said about 2,000 people worked on the game, 1,600 of which were developers.

Bethesda had around 100 on Skyrim and slightly more on Fallout 4.

Ok yeah, read your original post wrong. It’s amazing how big these efforts have grown. Supposedly Ubi shifts their teams around as games need them and has 2k or more when big games are wrapping up.

I remember when you could get a PC or PS2 game done with 30 people and $4 million.

Central/eastern europe has a bit of a budgetary advantage, although it is vastly harder to get the people skilled enough. For example, Kingdom Come was made by team of 20-110 people (70% of whom never worked on a game before) on 15 million budget - and it is 100+ hour open world RPG with full voiced dialogue, orchestral soundtrack, high quality visuals, 4 hours of cutscenes… and also took around 6 years to develop. The difference is in its lack of polish (especially at launch) and much worse quality of stuff like animations, facial mocap etc.

Witcher 3 cost 81 million, 240 people, 4 years, but around 50% of that budget was marketing, so without it, it would have been fairly “cheap” too considering its scope and detail. I wonder what was the budget of RDR2. GTAV was 265 million, RDR must have been at least twice that, possibly more.

Here is how to become immortal, fly and potentially do thousands of point of damage:

Something to do with the Strange in Numbers perk, being grouped, getting all mutations. And then you can grief the server to your heart’s content. Be warned until Bethesda fixes it.

So thats why Mutans are Not Allowed in some forums on the internet.

I’m sure it’s horribly annoying when it happens, but I have yet to see many players capable of that level of cooperation and planning, so I imagine it’s pretty rare. Still, needs to be fixed ASAP for sure.

I wish the quest markers were…more informative, too. Go to a door, quest marker on it. Go in the zone, turn around, now the quest marker is on the door heading out. The real quest objective is actually in the zone you are now in, but the game can’t really handle verticals I guess so if it’s above or below you–or maybe just anywhere in a zoned location–you don’t get any useful guidance from the marker until you are within spitting distance of what you are looking for. So awkward.

But, some of the side quests are amazingly cool. The Mistress of Mysteries is a great one, for instance.

Bethesda can’t write a main quest to save their lives (Far Harbour excepted), but their environmental and found log/letter/note based story telling is top notch.

Remember, this wasn’t actually made by the same guys who created Fallouts 3 and 4, it’s a separate team in Austin. They could have done better.

http://www.classlawdc.com/2018/11/26/bethesda-game-studios-deceptive-trade-practices-investigation/

My eyes cannot roll enough

Durn ol lawyers. Now if this was on Steam it wouldn’t be a pro…hmmmmm.

Not FO76 related, but I am watching the two legends - Tim Cain and Leon Boyarsky, Fallout’s dads - play Fallout 1:

And holy hell it is like an excercise in screaming internally at how much they have no idea how to play a game they created :D

But I learnt there is a hunting rifle in Vault 15 that I never found across my 12 or so playthroughs, so there is that.

Also this little nugget Tim says during the first person intro cutscene:

“I thought this was cool, because we used to talk about, “someday we are gonna make Fallout in first person, and this is what it would look like”. And one day, it was made in first person.”

If only Tim and Leon left Carbine and Blizzard for Obsidian sooner, they could have been the ones making New Vegas (or its hypothetical equivalent).

I hope Project Indiana is first/third person proper RPG.
They say it shares Leon’s dark deppressing sense of humor and Tim’s silliness. They are both co-directors on it.

He hated it.

I watched the whole thing. As madding as it is that they fail to know how to do certain things, they did things I have never done like finding the hunting rifle and stealing rope from the town greeter in Shady Sands. Also they are very successful in acquiring the waterchip which is legit. (and dog meat is awesome)

I think they did, really. The main questline in '76 is way better than the one in FO4. No bogus time displacement crap or faux familial angst.

50% stash size increase coming on the 4th of December (in a week), with more to come later once they confirm the impact on the servers.

There are 2 announced patches in that article (4th and 11th of December) with various stability fixes and PC specific features like field of view settings).