Fallout 76 - Multiplayer, online, BGS Austin

They’re deep into damage control mode now. Good. I look forward to seeing the game as it exists in late 2019.

Me too. I know the hate for this game is stronk, but I’ve found it to be a great co-op Fallout 4 experience thus far, and the map/world has been great. If this game is steadily improved into late 2019? All for it.

Players hit with the Cryolator will now be Chilled, Frosted or Frozen depending on how many times they are hit. The duration of movement speed reductions applied by these effects have also been decreased from two hours to 30 seconds.

That’s a bug right? There’s no way anyone thought hindering player movement for 2 hours was okay, right?

Hah, yeah. Must have been a bug.

This might be unpopular but… I like the game a lot and think it suffers from a crisis of perception for which Bethesda is mostly responsible.

REPORTED!

;)

Somebody’s feeling sassy today!

I’ll probably stream it some tonight and discuss my thoughts, if anyone is interested.

Many of the more thoughtful reviews I’ve read have specifically addressed this and have said how much they came into the game expecting to find criticism of it to be overstated…and then ended up giving the game 4 or 5 out of 10 based off of their own experiences and perceptions and insights while playing.

I feel the same way. Unpopular or not, it’s not a singular opinion, in any case. :)

It’s no grand secret that I think most reviewers aren’t particularly good at their jobs.

So, I’ll briefly explain what I mean by perceptions. I don’t mean that someone at IGN said it was bad so there’s a cascade. This is what I mean:

I think one of the biggest issues is that the story to Fallout 76 directly ties into why there are no NPCs of the human variety. It isn’t built up as a mystery or anything by Bethesda at all, so people just assume it was a choice for some technical reason or something. You can’t tell people why there are no humans without spoilers.

Here’s the kicker - I’ve talked to a few people PAST that point in the game, and they had no idea what I’m talking about. It’s right there, in the game, if you pay attention.

Another thing that kind of changed my perception about Fallout 76 - Just because a game I played and enjoyed before has NPC and branching dialogs doesn’t mean that’s why I enjoyed it. I think the writing in Bethesda games can be very spotty. For every Nick Valentine you get, there’s a dozen other goofy, forgettable characters. Those parts are OK and all, but when I play Skyrim or Fallout, I’m not clamoring to go back to the quest hub and interact with the quest-givers.I like to explore, find cool environments and let them tell the story.

This is the one thing that Bethesda excels at - environmental storytelling - and 76 is no different. The stuff you find in 76 is on par with, and in certain cases, better than the previous Bethsoft Fallout games. The story is certainly more compelling.

If you want my quick summation, as of playing a few good hours, is that I think they’re going for more of a Dark Age of Camelot feel. They will be introducing factions to the PvP for the world, and the end game is about taking and protecting map points and launching nukes to create high level PvE zones. Maybe, in the end, all of this won’t work, but I’m not mad that they’re trying it.

I never took the cannibalism perk in previous games because I figured it would make me a pariah. But I guess since Fallout 76 doesn’t have human NPCs, being a cannibal has no downsides?

I guess if being a cannibal doesn’t eat away at you and you can live with yourself without being consumed by guilt then there are no downsides.

I am only about 2 hours in, playing with a buddy, but I kind of feel the same way.

It is the fun and popular thing to do to trash on this game, so people are just dunking openly on it right now. The game definitely has some egregious flaws that should have been fixed prior to release, but the core Fallout world in this game is fairly exciting. And I think if you are a fan of the Bethesda fallout games, there is plenty to like here.

Also in playing this game I realized how little I actually cared about conversations with NPC’s in Fallout 3 and 4, the most interesting stories I found were happening upon a cabin with 2 corpses in an embrace, cyanide on the table, with a sad story in text. That environmental storytelling is here.

Early on, there was a holotape of a man trapped in a fridge, screaming to get out, giving up the location of his secret stash in a stump. I got out the pen and paper and wrote down his directions, and sure enough… I found some loot. That was pretty cool. My buddy who is like level 35 had missed that when he went through the area.

I really hope they continue to support the game.

I also don’t think Bethesda deserves a free pass for how terribly this game was rolled out, and the bugs and server issues, but underneath the jank, I am finding something to enjoy, at the very least.

Oh wow! I found that stash purely by accident when wandering around. I remember passing by a cabin or two but I didn’t investigate, so I had no idea there was a story behind it. I just figured it was my lucky day. :)

My current combo:

Canival. Healed by radiation. Heal radiation with light. => radiation heal me, then disapears. I can stay alive fighting in radiated places.
Unfortunally , the heal radiation with light only work at the day, not at the night.

Bring a flashlight, homie.

I might be interested in watching that stream JM… how do I get there? I am sorely tempted on this game. I also like the tension between the reviewers vs. the crazy populace vs. some of you all here that seem to be liking it.

Finally I would like to see how combat works a bit better. VATS doesn’t slow things down I get that but … ok so what does it do?

It does everything else VATS does. You can target limbs and have a % chance to hit each. The percentage is based on your Perception stat and the accuracy of your weapon. It’s also affected by environmental factors, movement, etc. I believe it is also where you can execute Crits (I don’t invest in Luck, really).

It’s really hard to aim when the faster, flailing enemies are running at you and around you…so using vats is a sure fire hit…mostly…I wait till its above 90% and then shoot. So, if there are 4-5 Feral Ghouls, I will VAT, VAT, VAT and they will all die after one or two hits (depending on level of course.)

You have to have enough AP do utilize it so if you are running and at the end of your AP, you wont be able to use VATS until it builds up a bit…so I tend to walk in dangerous places to keep my AP up all the way for VAT utilization.

I went to some higher level places last night and found a lot more glitches than near the main first area. Lots of glitches so I can see that being a problem. I don’t mind a few but saw way too many last night…will still play though…enjoying it.