Fallout 76 - Multiplayer, online, BGS Austin

I mean, it feels like they’re just a few steps away from loot crates.

The paint, yeah; in FO 4, you could unlock the pain schemes in-game, for sure. In FO 76, I earned enough Atom to buy some paint for my power armor, but I would never in a billion years pay real money for such crap. It’s not that great looking, and you have to apply it using your own materials anyhow; it’s just a plan, not a real paint.

That being said, the game still is oddly compelling to me. The endgame is utter rubbish, though; I tried a nuke silo activation thing and it was a slog and a half, with little pay off. Well, part of that was I actually didn’t have the final activation code figured out and wasn’t about to spend the time to do so, and I think maybe they intend the silos to be multi-person things, given that I definitely had my hands full on my own. But overall, the endgame seems meh at best.

Bethesda promised to support F76 with regular free content updates. If they had waited to release a major free update and included cosmetic DLC in that, people wouldn’t have been so upset. Guild Wars 2 follows the same business model and nobody faults them for having a cash shop.

out of curiosity, is there any in-game lore explanation for the atom shop?

This guy just cracks me up to no end because he’s such a twat.

Yeah it just looks waay overpriced for a weak multiplayer without persistence or any point or massiveness.

The ultimate problem with this game is that Bethesda sucks balls at making shooter mechanics.

I mean, if the fundamental gameplay mechanics surrounding shooting was better, then this game would be better. But they suck at that.

The Blood and Wine comparison has never been fair to any DLC. Honestly, it was probably underpriced for the amount of content that came with it.

That said, $18 for a white paint job skin is nuts.

I dunno. I played Fallout 4 about 3 days ago and headshots with VATS never get old. The blood splash and the sound is perfect. Is just satisfying to remove heads with a railgun. Then the game have a wide variety of weapons, and the sparse ammo kind of push you to use different weapons for different enemies. Is not a arena shooter, but is competent this way. I don’t know what people want. Borderlands?.

The shooting in Fallout games is not up to pure shooter standards, not surprisingly. It’s pretty damn good for an RPG/Shooter hybrid, though, IMO. The problem is that the hubridization is tricky, and all too often the games end up being not shooter-y enough for shooter fans, and not RPG-y enough for RPG fans.

Can I ask a dumb question? What makes a game more shootery? I play mostly FPS/RPG hybrids, not really many pure FPS games. So maybe I don’t know what I am missing, but what am I missing?

I mean in Deus Ex or Fallout 4 or Bioshock or Metro or Far Cry I point a gun and pull the trigger and the target dies. If any of those is better at FPS than the others I can’t tell. Then again those are all hybrids so maybe there isn’t a good comparison there.

So what makes a game a better shooter?

That’s a great question. Ultimately it comes down to feel, but we can quantify that a bit.

• Player skill should matter. Shooting in RPG hybrids like Alpha Protocol doesn’t feel good, when you shoot a dude in the head and it says you missed, or glanced, or did very low damage because of an invisible dice roll.
  • Action/twitchy games require solid framerates to feel good.
  • Online action/twitchy games require low latency and fast server responses to feel good.
  • Guns should be satisfying to shoot, in an audio/visual sense. Shotguns should go BOOM, rifles CRACK. Animations, reloading, etc, should delight the senses.
  • Movement should be smooth, without the player getting caught up on tiny ridges on the ground. Poor shooters mess that up. If it’s a cover shooter, it should be easy to get into, move out of, and switch between cover areas, and they should be clearly designated.
  • Most enemies should stay at a distance, because it’s annoying to shoot monsters trying to rip your face off, particularly on console.

Any others?

To take that a step further, I would like to know some games that get a lot of those right. I also tend to stick more to games that are hybrids and maybe haven’t had a chance to experience a really good shooter.

I did really enjoy Borderlands and using a sniper rifle, but no idea where that would fit in the spectrum. And yes, hated that game when many armored monsters would rush, although sniping them with a rifle was really satisfying when you could pull it off.

(maybe good for another thread…)

Try Destiny 2, it’s a hybrid but the actual shooting feels really great.

Actually, pretty much every shooter is a hybrid these days, your Battlefields, your Calls of Duty, they all have RPG elements. Nobody takes it as far as Alpha Protocol, though.

We dropped a missile on Whitehaven or whatever the starter town is last night. Most fun I have had yet and netter 5 levels.

Shooting is about the only thing good in this GaaS.

But the shooting is, admittedly, pretty fuckin’ good.

Actually, I’d like to know the answer for this as well. In fact, is there any game with an in-game lore explanation for microtransactions or cash shops or pay-to-win nonsense?

-Tom

In most cases I can think of, the very idea of a shop outside the game leads the idea of the player as a player of a game, and hence undercuts the suspension of disbelief, etc. Adding in some lore tie would be fundamentally, if not impossible, really tortuous. Destiny 2 does it perhaps the only way it can be done, with the Engram shops that are in-game with items that have in-game backstories. Only the transaction method/medium is different, and that’s compartmentalized outside of the game experience somewhat (and even integrated within it to a degree).

There are automated military item drops in Fallout 76. Maybe it’s “ROBOTS!”

I’d add that enemy movement and animations should be smooth, need to visually communicate the model’s speed and directional changes, and make sense. Fallout 3/NV/4/76 are terrible at this. Enemies juke around with very little consistency, and their limbs sometimes do not match the velocity or even direction of movement. That’s even with a high framerate.

Hitboxes are also important. If I aim at the head of an enemy peeking over cover, I should hit the head.