Fallout 76 - Multiplayer, online, BGS Austin

An update on the canvas bag saga, players who put in a request for a replacement received an email informing them it’s going to take an estimated “4-6 months for manufacturing and delivery,” but in the interim they’ll receive 500 atoms to spend! Pete Hines is truly a master of PR.

Yo! 1000 Atoms total! They’re over halfway to getting that sweet white paint for their Power Armor.

So has the game had any positive news at all?

It’s rekindled interest in previous, better Fallout games.

Now all that needs to happen is for it to go to ad-banner-sponsorship like SFV.

It’s like watching a train-wreck except no one is dying, so it has some entertainment value for those who are not even playing.

Who could’ve guessed that the company that brought use horse armor wouldn’t think twice about schilling stuff while their broken game is being discussed in every corner of the gaming verse.

Seriously though most people I’ve heard from about this game, including the one I know really well, say there are sparks of joy to be found. They just should have waited longer. it’s just not ready.

That’s what I’ve been saying, yeah. Zenimax isn’t going to abandon F76, and it will be a far better game in a year.

I dunno. Bethsoft is showing itself to be remarkably tone deaf with everything they’ve done (and more importantly, not done) so far. There’s a level of either stupidity and/indifference that’s just… well. Future hazy; try again later.

Yeah, as a company you can say that. Unless game companies are completely organized differently than most others, it seems like the poor decision making might be by multiple people. The person who thought screwing over their fans forking out 200 dollars for collector items over a canvas bag, dear god it’s just canvas!, may not be the same one that decided not to communicate well with the players even after knowing they released a buggy game that requires a lot of work, remember they warned everyone about that so they know, and is certainly not the person who sent out e-mails telling their fans sorry you’re unhappy but not really that sorry.

It could really be a series of missteps all happening at once. Their desire though to capitalize, horse armor, paid mods, even on top of a broken game… that’s probably company culture.

I wonder what effect not having this game on Steam is having on sales vs. its generally bad reception. I tend to forget this game until I come here and see this thread. I know I would probably fall into the “like” group based on the exploration gameplay but it just slips my mind.

*insert here joke about Trump brother and post nuclear apocalipse*

This game really feels like it could have been FO 5, but somewhere along the way the company decided they wanted to go online and turn it into a monetized stream/games as a service sort of thing. The good stuff is all the stuff that would have been good as a normal Fallout (well, FO 3 and on) game. The bad is mostly all the other stuff.

The only complaints I’ve had about the game are the same as Fallout 4. I think it’s time they moved on to a new engine, this one has been pushed to its limits and beyond. I get that it’s an enormous undertaking, but they have deep pockets.

You would think that after FO4 at least they would have begun work on the next gen open-world action RPG engine, yeah.

I kind of wonder if they have, and FO76 was a stop-gap while they developed the new engine for Elder Scrolls 6.

Given how Bethesda has been handling everything lately, though, I think that might just be a tad optimistic. :)

Hehe… I am sure it will be a further enhanced version of the Creation Engine they have been using for like 8 years now?

I mean as we all can see, F76 has 16 times the graphical fidelity of Fallout 4. ;)

V I S U A L L Y S T U N N I N G

In this case, I’ll allow it.

I’ve seen moments that did make me stop, stunned, and exclaim out loud “What is even going on here?”

FO76 has that weird dissonance where the environment and landscapes can be breathtaking but the models and animations can be really poor. It’s like a weird mix of 2018 with 2006.

I felt the same way with Fallout 4, but it’s just amplified here.

Yes, it’s a weird sort of disharmony. The vistas are amazing at times, especially now that you can turn down the depth of field setting a bit on PC at least, and the way locations are crafted is first rate often enough. Models are still meh at best, yeah, and animations range from pretty good to downright mystifying, as do the physics.

It sort of reminds me of Kingdom Come:Deliverance, though with more “stuff,” and perhaps more glitches. Both do a great job of creating a world you can simply be in, and like it.