Fallout 76 - Multiplayer, online, BGS Austin

Bethesda need to make a announcement about this sort of thing before they enforce it.

People have “broke” the gameplay with duping legendaries that are x100 or x300 times stronger than what people have. If they have done nothing to ban the dupers, it feels dirty going against people modding. For what I know, none of the modders exist to cheat in the game, all are convenient mods to add QoL to the game. Is okay to not accept mods in your multiplayer game, but theres a way to do things with the community.

Given Bethesda’s screwing up of pretty much everything PR related I can see how it’s easy to believe the accusation, but this is the standard denial issued by every banned cheater ever.

I have been one-shotted by people who were flying, so, yeah, there are some issues. Whether the issues are from bad coding, cheating, or both, is hard to say.

This gets weirder and weirder.

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

That make sense only if they are not modder.

If they are just people using a reshader to make the game looks less brown, then is absurd.

theres a lot of disinformation around, and people wanting to missinterpret facts for a quick laugh / easy hate generation

Banning people who have Cheat Engine running in an attempt to cheat in an online game? Fine.
Banning people who have Cheat Engine running? Not fine.
Banning people who are exploiting the game? Fine.
Banning people who are running any 3rd party mod? Not fine.

It is difficult to figure out what is going on. On the one hand, the excuses by those who are banned are pretty typical of those who cheat, exploit, grief and deserve to be banned. On the other hand, this game has been an ongoing train wreck and I believe that FO76 and this new platform are an attempt to monetize all mods for all future Bethesda products. So either explanation, or both, are quite reasonable and I would not be surprised if that ended up being the answer.

Playing devil advocate here:

The cheat engine thing… maybe the false positives is detecting the “kernel module” in memory that cheat engine need, or something similar? I don’t know how CE works. But maybe is hard to tell if CE is used to cheat in your game or just was installed and used this session (like 20 hours ago).

The running a 3rd party mod in a multiplayer game. Welp. Theres items in the game that automatically use a heal item when the player have less than 20% heal. A mod can do that for you, so people with that mod will be free to equip a gear item with more armour instead. In a PvP game this would give more advantage to the guy having the mod. Is up to Bethesda how much or what they tolerate with modding. Realistically, they should or could provide a modding framework that limit what mods can do to UI stuff. Like Elders Scroll Online.

Cheat Engine should be absolutely useless in any (well programmed) server-centric MP game. Like it shouldn’t even be worth looking for it.

Yes, but we already know that F76 trusts the client, so that’s out the window.

I’m really curious about how they resolve errors. Like, if my client suddenly says I’m 50 feet off from where I was earlier, and another client simulates me getting shot, what happens? The server seems to do nothing but convey messages.

Everytime I read that I get a chill.

It kind of works because theres only 20 players or less in the instance, and the instance is huge. The game is build from a singleplayer game up, instead of from a mmo down.

It trusts them both generally.

The server only knows where you are because you tell it where you are and it then passes that information to the other player. If that player shoots you where you were on his client, the server sends that information to you and you get hit.

Of course the reality Is generally that your client tells the server you’re teleporting around randomly and shooting the other guy in the head 5 times. So what the other guy sees is you blinking around and then he dies.

The other thing you can do is lag-switch. The game is basically frozen for you while you run around, but to the other players you’re teleporting around shooting them all in the head (since on your screen they’re all just standing there or the like).

Coming in at #2:

Did Jim get fatter?

That’s not really something I’ve spent any time tracking, rei.

Something to work on in your free time. :)

Well he’s well rounded