Fallout: BOS

Has anyone else checked out the trailers for the upcoming Fallout console game? Disclaimer: I hate to group myself with rabid Fallout fans that are pissed simply because a Fallout title is being made and it isn’t an RPG, and the trailer and gameplay movie on GameSpot are the sum total of what I’ve seen of the game.

That said, it looks awful. Talk about “not grokking” what made the Fallout games so great. I could deal with a combat-oriented game in the Fallout setting, but they don’t even seem to have gotten that right. The trailer may not accurately represent what’s in the game, but assuming that it does, I see lots of cartoonish combat with an MTV-style presentation and a heavy metal soundtrack. Ugh. Looks like it’s going to be an ignoble end for the greatest RPG series in the history of gaming.

I don’t see why everyone is upset. It looks like a lot of fun to me. All they are doing is taking the Baulders Gate: Dark Alliance concept and making a Fallout version. I don’t see hordes for D&D fans making death threats over that game.

What is ‘grokking’?

You do know that this game already came out for the PC quite a while ago right? It was called Fallout: Tactics then.

Is that really the concept? If so, then count me in. Dark Alliance was probably the best Diablo clone ever.

The combat in Fallout Tactics is turn-based, isn’t it?

You have a choice whether to use traditional Fallout AP based combat or real time in Tactics.

Yeah, I think Spoofy meant Crimsonland. :P To be fair, Fallout Tactics does have the subtitle “Brotherhood Of Steel”, so the makers of this console game aren’t exactly pushing the envelope of creative game titles here.

Fallout Tactics did have realtime combat, but it’s a far cry from the “arcade action” you get in a true action RPG.

I liked BG:DA a lot, but then again I think they did a GREAT job in making an arcade RPG out of D&D. So while I certainly don’t doubt that one could do the same with Fallout, BG:DA is a damn tough act to follow. So I’m doubtful and hopeful about Fallout:BOS at the same time.

I think the trailer looks good enough, but I’m curious as to how the controls work. If the game uses, say, Silent Hill or Resident Evil’s control scheme, I could very well go INSANE trying to play it. I’m also wondering how much NPC interaction is in this game, because that for me was one of the things Fallout did so incredibly well. I couldn’t help but be a bit disappointed if this game goes the BG:DA route and almost completely eliminates conversation.

edit: clarifiying things

Hmm…

I didn’t realize that these games were going to be that different…it seemed like it was essentially just a change of engine.

Oh well.

I dunno, assuming they stick closely to the BG:DA scheme, they almost can’t screw it up. They made a fantastic little action RPG while being crippled with the D&D equipment and character rules. Given the vastly superior Fallout system? Dark Alliance with guns and perks sounds like a real winner to me. The one problem is that these sorts of games generally need characters you can select(a fighter, a mage, whatever). Fallout is a fundamentally classless system.

Anyway, I want it to succeed just so those asshole “fans” will finally shut their mouths. Their complaint doesn’t make a goddamn bit of sense, yet they are astoundingly passionate about it.

I think alot of the rabid Fallout fans aren’t just pissed about the move to a Diablo clone setup for the game. A large part of the ire this game is causing among the fanbase has to do with the change in atmosphere and presentation as well.

You aren’t supposed to jam it to heavy metal and mow down baddies with abandon like some kinda pop hero superstar, you’re supposed to be a misguided hero who accidentally saves alot of lives on a journey of self importance, while listening to the occasional Louis Armstrong tune on the way. :wink:

The nearly inexplicable magic of Fallout 1 and 2 is not present in this game I’m afraid.

Wait, so how is that bad for anyone? If the game is bad, well, yes. But the game being made in a different style than previous Fallout games is bad… how? It hurts anyone… how? Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 had pretty different styles, too, if you want to get technical. What’s canon here? More importantly, why should anyone give a shit about adherence to Fallout canon? I want fun games. Dark Alliance with guns sounds like fun, especially in the Fallout universe.

Worst case, this game flops and sucks. We have one fewer good game to play and we don’t get to see many more Fallout titles. Which is a lot like now.

Best case, it’s a huge hit. Fallout becomes an identifiable brand name. Interplay is saved, we see Fallout 3, Fallout: BOS 2, a Fallout FPS, what have you. Good times.

Rationality and common sense never got in the way of a gaming zealot.

Just look at the whole history of Quake vs. Duke (or Unreal or whatever). Some people get all nutty and defensive about the games they enjoy. I’ve never understood it, either. I mean, I absolutely loved SimCity and SimCity 2000 to bits but the last two games have been pretty much duds for me. That doen’t mean I’m set to pillory those who enjoy them or threaten to burn down the Maxis offices. I mean, they’re just games, for petes’ sake. :)

I didn’t mean to imply that I have anything against action-RPGs in the vein of Dark Alliance. I don’t. What they seem to be screwing up is the “feel” of the Fallout games, which had a really unique sort of setting that didn’t include cartoony platform-style action and heavy metal music. It’s a pretty far cry from Fallout’s subtle humor, detailed tactical combat, and atmospheric music. I’ll take “Maybe” over the track that was playing in that official trailer any day of the week.

If you are going to make a game like that, why even attach the Fallout name to it? Neither the gameplay nor the feel of the game/setting seems even remotely similar to Fallout. Fallout fans won’t like it, and people that aren’t probably don’t care what name you slap on the game anyway. It just seems… odd.

Dark Alliance with guns sounds like fun, especially in the Fallout universe.

Since you said that you don’t care how faithful they are to the aesthetic style of the Fallout games, why does it matter whether the game is in the Fallout universe or not? If they don’t want to make a game that has the feel of Fallout, why not just make up a new setting? That’s my point. If I saw someone making a Star Wars game that had you fighting Aliens and Predators to heavy metal music, I’d find it similarly off-putting. That’s just not Star Wars, and while it might be an okay game in its own right, the Star Wars association hurts it more than helps. If that makes sense.

A large part of the ire this game is causing among the fanbase has to do with the change in atmosphere and presentation as well.

Exactly.

Interplay is saved, we see Fallout 3, Fallout: BOS 2, a Fallout FPS, what have you. Good times.

The chances of me winning the lottery are higher. Even so, I don’t think I’d want to see any more Fallout games if BOS is indicative of how they are going to handle them.

Let me put it another way: Fallout is not a media crossover brand. When you make a Star Wars game, you might hope that the Star Wars name will attract people that are fans of Star Wars. The only people that the Fallout name will attract are people that played Fallout, and they aren’t going to like the way this game is wantonly mangling the feel of the Fallout setting. People that never played Fallout won;t have the same expectations, and will likely enjoy the game (or not) on it’s own merits. But those people would be just as likely to buy the game without the Fallout brand anyway. So what’s the point of using the Fallout brand, exactly?

Ben wiped his feverish brow and shakily set down his whiskey glass. He was absolutely sure of one thing: no one who liked Fallout could possibly enjoy Brotherhood of Steel. While he was willing to accept that, theoretically, there may be the odd fan or two who wasn’t so emotionally invested in the Fallout series that he could both appreciate the return of the Fallout universe and also appreciate the Dark Alliance-style gameplay for what it was, in his heart he knew they were filth. They certainly didn’t appreciate subtle humor. Or detailed tactical combat. But most of all, it was that damn heavy metal music. It was just so off-putting.

Yes. Precisely.

This is how it started with the X-Com franchise, too. It became bastardized and now years later everyone is hoping UFO: Aftermath, a third cousin twice removed, is going to bring back the magic. Poor Fallout. I will remember ye with fondness in my heart.

Is that really the concept? If so, then count me in. Dark Alliance was probably the best Diablo clone ever.[/quote]

wait a minnit - BG:DA had some interface issues that drove me batty on the gamecube.

first, the health bar was dim to te point i couldn’t tell when i was near death… give me a zelda-esque annoying beep please?

second, the multiplayer didnt work right AT ALL, my friends and i would just run around jamming the “pick up the item before your buddy gets it” button all the time, and we never knew who picked up what. i really would have liked a diablo-style item highlighter to show me what loot was on the ground. also, having to pick your nose while your buddy dicks around with his inventory isnt the most fun ever either…

LOL :D

Fallout 2 is my favorite RPG of all time (and I’ve been play RPG all the way back when that ment Hunt the Wumpus on a TRS-80) and I’m looking forwards to Fallout BOS. I realize its not a turn based rules simulation and that doesn’t bother me. The game looks to be a lot of fun. Plus Post Apocalypse is my over all favorite genre

I hope the game is a sucess so that developers realize that not every RPG or Action RPG has to be a D&D/Lord of the Rings rip off. Maybe EA will bring back Wasteland, Atari will do a Gamma World game, and maybe someone else will do something original with a SciFi genre. And maybe, just maybe, Interplay will then live long enough to put out Fallout 3.

Crazier things have happen.

I hope the game is a sucess so that developers realize that not every RPG or Action RPG has to be a D&D/Lord of the Rings rip off. Maybe EA will bring back Wasteland, Atari will do a Gamma World game, and maybe someone else will do something original with a SciFi genre. And maybe, just maybe, Interplay will then live long enough to put out Fallout 3.

I’d love to see someone do an X-Com game in this style. Man would I love to see that. Who the heck has the rights to the X-Com franchise these days?