Fallout: New Vegas

I went with this mod that only adjusts level cap. Seems to work just fine.

I have been at level 50 for a while, and yeah, it does remove something when you can’t level any more. But I’m still enjoying finishing things out.

ALTHOUGH I just realized I probably made a choice that has led me down a path I didn’t intend. More in the spoiler below - minor spoilers and maybe something most people would like to know, but I’ll put it on the spoiler just in case:

Except I can’t find a spoiler button??? Even in advanced. And using SPOILER as the CODE doesn’t seem to work, so the old fashioned way - - scroll down…

I went with the YES MAN option in the Strip. And I didn’t go visit the ambassador before killing House, and did some other stuff talking with Yes Man, and then apparently working with the NCR was no longer an option and in fact, I had to oppose them. Which is not what I wanted - I wanted an ending where Boone and I ended up living in a nice suite and in control. So I have gone back to a save before killing House to see if things can play out differently, hoping there is an option to kill House and yet be partnered with the NCR. Is there?

If you really want to know …

just remember, you clicked this

iirc, the NCR is going to ask you to kill House anyway. However, if you’ve aligned with Yes Man then the NCR will have nothing to do with you. It’s an either-or situation with him.

1. Where is the spoiler button? I looked in the advanced mode - do I just need to enter it manually?
  2. I’m not in love with Yes Man. Just prefer to not have him or (of course) Benny in charge. Thanks.

Everyone wants you to kill House except House, sooner or later. That includes the NCR. You just need to hold off on the trigger point which pisses off the NCR, and they’ll task you to killing House eventually.

That said, the Yes Man ending is about as close to you being in control as you’re going to get. Side with the NCR, and the NCR gets control, not you. You’re playing kingmaker - who sits on the throne, House, Caesar, the NCR, or Yes Man? Since Yes Man more or less does what you tell him to, the latter is sort-of being in control. Boone won’t stomach Caesar, but he’s fine with anyone else. I’ve never done the Caesar ending because I just don’t play evil.

I believe you need less than 12,000 posts to use it. Something about “signal to noise” ratio ;)

(… more seriously, you need to do the following: the text of your spoiler followed by )

So, finished the game. Overall: loved it.

Played it on the 360, FWIW. I ended siding with the NCR just because Boone was my buddy and in general I felt an affinity for them in their battle against the Legion. I ended at level 50, and was around level 50 before I even went into the Strip. I did all of the DLC (my only dis-like was EDIT: DEAD MONEY - great story, but hated the gameplay in that one and could not wait to finish it and be done with it.) I am a wanderer/explorer, preferring the stealthy, sniper type of character (same way I played Skyrim.) I get my kicks in these games by free form exploring, and New Vegas provided me with a great world for that: different from Skyrim but similar in terms of the open world that welcomes exploring in your own way, in your own time. I love those games and mourn that I don’t have one to play right now.

I left the Strip until last because I knew that was basically the end game and I had no desire to start that until I had finished my relaxed exploring. And even though I hit level 50 before entering the Strip (I never fast travel) I realized at the end that I still missed things/places/people. I think if I had it to do over, I’d try the Yes Man ending, but I’m satisfied with the NCR ending. I won’t say a lot in case there are people reading this who, like me, come to the game after everyone else has played it. ;) However, I chose to wipe out the Legion everywhere I could find it, usually with Boone at my side.

While there was never a feeling of grandeur the way you can get when you are on the top of a mountain in Skyrim, looking down at a huge waterfall as the sun goes down, I much prefer guns and a semi-real world setting to fantasy settings, so I really enjoyed the wasteland. I especially appreciated the wide range of options you are given on how to resolve most quests and appreciated the wide ranges of conclusions based on your choices. I’d love to have been able to continue, but felt very satisfied at the ending.

So - Skyrim and Fallout: New Vegas have dominated my gaming world for the last quite a few months. So now I’m a Bethesda addict without a fix, LOL! Is there any other game that offers this kind of free world exploring and openness?

Fallout 3 is the obvious answer. I’m currently going through Kingdoms of Amalur which you might like, but it has more of a mmo structure, not a free world openness.

If you don’t mind older titles - Oblivion, Morrowind. Both can be heavily modded.

I wouldn’t characterize the Strip as the end game. Sure, you can play it that way, but if there are a ton of things that start in the Strip. It’s more-or-less the game hub. The Strip sends out exploring after all sorts of stuff. You don’t have to confront Benny on entering the Strip, you can put off advancing the story indefinitely while pursuing everything else the Strip has to offer.

If you do Fallout 3, do it on the PC. Because after playing New Vegas, particularly with Gun Runner’s Arsenal, the selection of weaponry is going to seem really anemic, and you’re going to want one of the mods that beefs up the variety until it resembles New Vegas. Don’t get one that revises the whole game, you want most of the vanilla experience, but you will want more weapon variety.

Yeah, played Fallout 3 back when it came out, so that one is already in the “played” pile. :(

I was not at all unhappy with how the game played by leaving the Strip last. Probably not necessary but I don’t feel like I missed anything playing it that way. Great game. For some reason, the quests and factions, etc. in this game seem a lot more memorable to me than almost anything in Fallout 3.

Did you bother with things like the photography quest? I don’t know that I would have, if I’d already hit the level cap. Nor would I have collected vault jump suits for Vault 21.

I’ve mentioned before that of all the DLC, Honest Hearts seems structured in such a way that it’s not terribly interesting if you’re level 20+. The gear you’re picking up (1911 pistols, Thompsons, hunting shotguns) is fixed, and pretty crappy compared to the higher-level gear, but good if you’re running around with a 10mm pistol and a varmint rifle, as you probably are at level 10. There are quests on the Strip that are somewhat like that, they just aren’t worth troubling with at level 50.

Yeah, I did the photography quest just because it fit the role/character of the guy I was playing. I also helped free the prostitute from the Omerta hotel, etc. The way I play, it’s not as much about gaining levels as role playing, if that makes any sense.

For Honest Hearts, I think I was only around level 25 when I did it. And again, the story itself was very interesting. It was the layout of the maps, the quests structure, and the damned collars that kept me irritated for the entire DLC.

That’s Dead Money. Honest Hearts is the thing with the pseudo-Native American tribal war.

Duh. Time to edit the above. Honest Hearts was OK, and I got the Anti-Material 50 cal sniper rifle from it. :) I think I was relatively low level when I played that one.

Try Oblivion. I recently played it on the PC in vanilla form and really enjoyed it. Like Skyrim it has a certain repetitive quality to it (don’t want to spoiler it) but overall the game is a lot of fun.

Yeah, problem is I’ve played all the previous games (Oblivion, Fallout 3.) :(

Dragon Age?

Divine Divinity or the sequel?

Go back to Skyrim and play differently? That’s my suggestion, mostly because that is what I’m doing, myself. I decided to load up on all kinds of mods this time, including Falskaar, and I’m having a complete blast. I sided differently in the war and finished it, changed up the skill specialties I use a bit, and loaded mods that pushed me in that direction as well. Hell, I’ve been in Falskaar alone over 20 hours now. Not knowing what you did on your last playthrough, give it a shot. But like The Strip, hold off on the Skyrim storyline and enjoy the ride of side quests and modded content.

Witcher 2. Not as open world but plenty of story and choices. And the third game will be huge open like Akyrim.

Hmmm. I actually have Witcher 2 Special Edition or something for the 360 in my “To Play” box. I may have to try it.