Fallout: New Vegas

Damn you Tom! I’m not done with Witcher 3, I’m not done with Batman, I’m not done with Massive Chalice but did that stop me from buying FNV: Ultimate Edition this morning on sale? No it did not!

I see there’s some mentions of mods already in this thread, is there a comprehensive list of mods I should install to give me the best experience? I definitely want to try the hardcore stuff that’s been discussed already.

Hey, I’m not done with Fallout 3 and Dragon Age: Origins, Skyrim or Witcher 1, so don’t feel bad. (That also isn’t a complete list…)

This one by Boris Tosonstov, or whatever his name is. Looks really pretty. A few bugs sometimes. But the biggest bug for me seems to be that the game doesn’t close when I quit out, and I have to go into program manager and force the program closed. But that’s true whether or not I have the ENB installed.

I think I also have the extended Radio station installed so that I have a huge library of “appropriate era” songs that play on the radio station without any repeats.

Oh, right - the default one. I thought you might have meant one of the seventy variants.

Thanks for those suggestions. I’m going to definitely try oHUD, since I’m tired of constantly calling up the Pipboy. Also Grenade hotkey and Quick Trade to save frequent mouseclicks.

Vinda Lou linked to his own list on the previous page of this thread. Not sure if Jason McCullough’s modpack still works.

Yeah, the problem with most of those variants is that I don’t really want the game to look like that all the time. I don’t want dusty looking all the time, or bleak and grim all the time, etc. But the default one just lifts the graphical look of the base game to such a stark degree that it does more than most graphical mods I’ve seen.

With that said, if anyone recommends some other enb variant that is excellent throughout the game and doesn’t get tiring or change the look and feel of the original game too much, I’m all for it. (I still want to preserve the feel of the original intent, since this is my first time playing through the game).

Check out Rust - I am digging it, though I only just got it installed and working. It seems to bump the textures/visuals but keeps things grungy looking.

It does look pretty consistent with the original feel of FNV in the screenshots. The only thing that makes me nervous is that it requires installation of the mod FNV Realistic Wasteland Lighting. I installed that mod in the past, and I hated the look and feel of the game with that mod. It looks more realistic, yes, but it doesn’t look like what Fallout New Vegas artists were going for anymore. But this Rust ENB, even though it requires that mod, seems to hue closer to the original feel.

I nominate that this game has one of the best title screen theme songs of all time. It pumps me up to start exploring every time.

I added in the mods Tom suggested above all at once, then ran the game with my latest save, which was at dusk. And I thought, “Holy shit – look at the sky. Its beautiful!” I’d forgotten among the mods I added was “Nevada Skies.” Wow, what a difference.

I have to sit down now and configure oHud to my liking. But it all works well, and Mod Organizer makes it all quite easy.

Seriously thinking now of starting over (I’m not far in) in hardcore mode.

I’m getting semi-frequent crashes, and the New Vegas Mod Organizer gives me this warning:

There are files in your Overwrite Mod.
Files in the Overwrite mod are are usually files created by an external tool (i.e. Wrye Bash, Automatic Variants, …).
It is advisable you empty the Overwrite directory by moving those files to an existing mod. You can do this by double-clicking the Overwrite mod and use drag&drop to move the files to a mod.
Alternatively, right-click on Overwrite and create a new regular mod from the files there.

Why is this necessary? Generated files may depend on the other mods active in a profile and may thus be incompatible with a different profile (i.e. bashed patches from Wrye Bash). On the other hand the file may be necessary in all profiles (i.e. dlc esms after cleaning with TESVEdit)
This can NOT be automated you HAVE to read up on the tools you use and make an educated decision.

Anyone know what this means? I only have eight mods running.

Check and see what the files actually are. If they are menu/ folders, it is from DarnUI and can probably just be ignored (they will get regenerated every time you quit the game anyway). MO sometimes goes a bit overboard in cautiousness - not a bad thing, but some cruft is overwrite is sometimes unavoidable and not the source of all crashes.

I don’t know how to check and see what files the message refers to. But I’ll probably just ignore it. I just had a long play session, at least an hour, without a single crash, so I think I’ll leave well enough alone. Thanks, though.

Ah- in the left-hand MO window way down at the bottom of your list is a bar with ‘Overwrite’. You can double-click it to see what is in there, or right-click it to get more options.

If you’re ever interested in going down the rabbit hole to learn more about all this stuff, check the ‘Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas’ guide on the STEP forums. Even if you don’t follow the guide itself, it has handy info on all the tools and such (or links to a wealth of info). If you actually want to play though, stay far away! :)

Thanks for clarifying that. The overwrite list had some files related to one particular mod, which I uninstalled and reinstalled and all seems fine now.

Are there any mod packs that really changed up the gameplay? I am kind of interested in playing this again, but I am not sure it will hold my interest very long unless there is some real difference in the world.

In what way? Project Nevada might be what you’re looking for.

No, there aren’t any. The only mods available for Bethesda’s games are superficial and cosmetic.

-Tom

In fallout 3 there was a mod pack that did interesting things like add super mutant monsters, let you play as a different race, and stuff like that. I was hoping that there would be a mod pack that would make the world more interesting to explore in some way.

A wit as dry as the Nevada desert…