Fallout: New Vegas

I found Mission Mojave - Ultimate Edition Plus, but it crashes when NV starts up.

If you mean Fallout Wanderers Edition then Project Nevada is pretty much the same, just for FNV.

Have you tried any of the four main expansions? They all take place in new worlds, and some are pretty drastic changes to the gameplay (Dead Money), for better or for worse. My favorite is probably Old World Blues. The other two are Honest Hearts and Lonesome Road (meant to be played last).

I played all the expansions. They were decent except for blood money which really sucked.

I eventually went with the Project Nevada mod. I do not think it changes all that much. Ill see how long this hold my interest. I am just trying to find stuff to keep me occupied until the Diablo 3 patch hits, whenever that happens. Actually that patch, I hope will keep me occupied until some of these new games come out like Fallout 4, Xcom 2, etc…

Played all the expansions, the only one I hated was the one where you had to wear the exploding collar. The story was good, but the gameplay was tedious and painful.

I’m on an expansion run through NV right now. Did Honest Hearts, which was okay but not spectacular, and I’ve just finished Old World Blues which was brilliant, probably the best DLC of both NV and F03. I’ve played Dead Money before, but I’ll do it again. I didn’t dislike it as much as others, and it was cool in places. Can’t wait to meet Ulysses in Lonesome Road.

Yeah, that was the dead money ( I called it blood money) one. I am definitely going to skip it this time.

Dead Money was tedious as hell. The remainder were meh, except for Old World Blues, which was brilliant and should have been included as stock content in the base game as the real endgame.

Tedious and painful, just like wearing an exploding collar…!

So I just finished F3 for the first time (had a blast!) and I’m itching to get into Vegas, but I’ve heard it’s the buggiest of Bethesda games. Is there an agreed-upon must-have bugfix mod for NV? My searches have come up with several possibilities and I’m not sure which is best.

Nah, after the first two or three patches is as “buggy” as the rest. In any case, you should always use the unofficial patch mod for Bethesda games. I think the one for NV is this one Yukichigai Unofficial Patch - YUP at Fallout New Vegas - mods and community?

The Mission Mojave mod is the main set of bugfixes. This is the (fairly conservative) set of mods I’ve just done my DLC run with, and it was rock solid stable 60fps all the way through. Not one crash. I think that’s a first for the Bethsoft engine games!

I’ve had less technical issues with New Vegas than any of Bethesda’s in-house open world RPGs, and that was before patching. But it’s certainly not a bad idea to run a bugfix mod.

You can look at a mod guide such as ‘Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas’ on the STEP forums. No need to actually follow the guide in its entirety! Rather, looks at what mods they have chosen, the order they install them in and any compatibility patches. These are typically fairly well tested mods, and are known to work together. You can then pick and choose what you want, and how deep into the modding rabbit hole you wish to dive. I used the ‘Clear and Present Danger’ guide for FO3, and it works great.

That said, if you’re not a Mod Organizer user already, you’ll either have a bit of a learning curve in front of you, or you’ll want to look elsewhere. It isn’t that hard, but it can take a little time if it is all new to you.

My playthrough has become crash-tastic with far fewer mods. I’m not sure what the problem is, and I lost interest in trying to figure out. So thanks Sam, I may use your list for comparison purposes.

The key ones are:

Mission Mojave (game bugfixes)
New Vegas Anti-Crash
New Vegas Stutter Remover
FNV4GB (to make it large memory aware)
New Vegas Script Extender (required for one or more of the above plus other things)

You launch the game with the FNV4GB executable, and it will detect NVSE and load it.

The only mod I used on my last playthrough was the memory one. After that I had no problems.

I’ve been playing a heavily modded version of New Vegas on an ailing PC. I recently bought a new computer and installed my steam version.

Is there a way to transfer my modded game with NMM and all of the mods set up to the new computer without reinstalling and fiddling with everything? I don’t think I’ll be able to rebuild my modded version the same way on the new computer - I’m amazed I even got it running well on the old computer in the first place!

Can I somehow copy the whole modded game and setup, and pick up where I left off? If so, can someone kindly explain the steps and necessary mechanics behind the transfer?

So, I picked this up on a Steam sale a while back and I’m about to play through it ahead of Fallout 4. Apart from the essential mods as recommeded above, is there anything I should know before going in? If I try to spec a non-combat character am I just gimping myself? Are certain weapon types just better than others a la Fallout 3? Any unmissable questlines? Any unpatched gamebreaking bugs to avoid?

Hardcore mode is more fun than you think. Try it.