Fallout Shelter (the iOS game)

Anyone playing this? Seems fun/charming/not IAP-heavy at a glance, but also it’s persistent and I (everyone in my vault) will probably die. I remember the Tiny Tower games and most of their ilk rewarding micromanaging and optimizing your resource collection (constantly checking the app) to make progress, but this seems like you will actually lose (things will go wrong, vault dwellers will die) if you’re not managing it constantly. Am I missing something? How would someone, for example, go to sleep at night and not wake up to everything dead/dying/unhappy? Is there no way to pause this thing at all?

Maybe that’s what happened to all the vaults

I found it pretty tedious and lacking in any interesting decision making. I guess about what I’d expect from a free to play management game for phones.

I played it last night and then looked at this morning. My guy that was out exploring died, and all of my building produced power and water etc, so most of the bars were near the red zone. Normally, once I understand a game I start over for this one, I probably won’t bother just not interesting enough. The price is right though.

It’s really frustrating how fast you drop in power, food, water and how slow you build them up. Exploring the wastes was fun, but incredibly dangerous/hard - the entire game is kinda frustrating early on, which is odd. Also, it congratulated me on my first lunchbox, and when I went to check that out, no lunchbox. Sigh.

Mildly interesting but I imagine I will eventually will be bored.

But for now, I’d like to celebrate my first vault baby. Terry Drake. He’s already walking around the vault like a toddler. sniff they grow up so fast.

I had a vault baby too! And I got a high(ish) level dweller from a lunch box, so he’s been out exploring for hours. So far he’s holding up fine to the radscorpions and ghouls, but I don’t really know how long I should risk leaving him out there.

Is Cleve in this?

That would be cheating as he’d win instantly

If by “win” you mean “eat everyone else in the shelter to maintain his amazing Thal physique”, then I’m sure you’re right.

If that ain’t winning, I don’t know what is.

This is the post-apocalyptic iOS game that I’ve been playing. Highly recommended. RPG platformer with a Fallout vibe.

Drylands by Angry Bugs. The trailer.

Well my vault survived the night without anything dipping into the red. It seems like the rate things happen while you’re not playing isn’t as terrifying as that first 30–45 minutes of playing suggested. Now things are fairly stable, but progress is slow. So maybe I’ll still be bored with this game in the next day or two, but hey, free.

I work like shit in my 4S. A not so subtle message of “Improve your hardware”.

I waste too much time on these ant-farm/farmville type of games - wasted so much damn time in Jurassic Park Builder that I might be finally done though. I like the idea of an “advent calendar” style of game, checking in a couple of times a day or just in the morning.

Early hints:

• send out travelers soon, pull them back as soon as you get additional weapons or armor. Having additional equipped vault dwellers makes a big difference during raiders etc.
  • the hammer/build queue will show you which attribute from SPECIAL helps that type of room (i.e. Strength for power) - so get the most of the natural attributes of your dwellers.
  • remember that outfits will also raise attributes, so equip guys in production rooms with items that will increase the SPECIAL attribute that helps that production most.

Is this anything like “This War of Mine”?

Erm, how do I send people into the wasteland?

Give them a gun (well, I guess this is optional) and then drag them outside. A dialog comes up and then you click Explore.

Drag them out of the vault, it pops up a little window so you can equip them, and then off they go!

Thanks!