Fallout Shelter (the iOS game)

The one thing that can cause a problem is getting too many girls pregnant at once (ain’t that the truth - lol). You will have a bunch of mouths to feed at once so it is good to expand than build up power, water, food - then expand again.

It seems like sending people into the wasteland saves food/ water consumption (not certain on this point but after sending out a bunch of new adults on missions seems to help when I have food/water shortages).

Sending people into the wasteland is the best way to earn cash by selling all the stuff. At first I was trying to keep everything but once I have 10 - 20 people running in the wasteland you get a lot of things that sell for ten bottle caps each (the rarer items tend to sell for 100 and I would keep those).

I think raising character attributes is wise and combining them with raised luck to help rushes. So perception/luck, strength/luck etc.

Rooms that work fine as a 2-room wide: storage rooms, living spaces.

I am enjoying my social engineering. I have boosted a whole crew of supermen to Luck 10 and 6+ in most other attributes, level 30 (for the HP) and am unleashing them for indefinite excursions to the wasteland - find some rares, or never return. I have a lot of the outfits, but only about a third of the weapons, and only 1 from the higher end weapons (17 damage plasma rifle).

Dwellers are happier working together, so I think the larger rooms (i.e. connecting 3 of the same type) are the way to go for production rooms. There may not be any benefit in making 3-wide attribute enhancing rooms, but I enjoy seeing the massive gyms, shooting rooms, etc. and so have done so for everything other than Charisma and Intelligence, since you only need 4 or so Dwellers with high stats in those, and it’s easy to get 10 in intelligence/charisma quickly with outfits (and the 15 cap on stims/radaway makes those production rooms rarely necessary).

I’ve keep my population down to about 80, but suppose I will boost it to get the last room now. Beyond that there seems to be no point, so I’ll probably just let it increase through radio broadcasts just to give the radio guys some utility.

I enjoy my death kitchen.

It’s strange that you can only assign two dwellers to defend the vault door. So every time raiders attack, I move two high level dwellers that I keep well armed from a nearby power room into the vault. They take care of two of the raiders, at which point the third raider will invariably run off further into the vault. Also dumb that the vault door protectors can’t stop that or pursue them, but whatever. Without fail, the third raider will run down the hall into my kitchen. When I realized that happened every time, I just armed that kitchen crew to the teeth. Every time the raiders attack, that third member of the raiding party runs into a kitchen and is gunned down by chefs with hunting rifles. High fives!

If you have a high end gun (like the mini gun and I suspect the flame thrower) then you only need two defenders to kill the attacking scavengers. I had the minigun and the rusty plasma pistol. I always killed all three. It really got old after a while. Rather have some stronger opponents and defenses one could build maybe having to repair them etc.

I am killing all 3 now with two guards, one of which has a rusty plasma rifle (17 dam), and the other has the laser rifle (12-14 dam). I still have a kitchen of death though, since I sometimes send those weapons out foraging.

Yeah, I demolished the default living quarters that are opposite the vault door and put a merged 3-room water plant there. I don’t even bother to man the vault door with a two man team or to even move a team in place. Raiders break in, they make a beeline to the water plant, and down they go to 6 guns blazing. No fuss, no muss. They never make it to any other room.

The game needs some serious end-game content. Right now, 90% of your guys are either making primary resources or training to make better primary resources. Heck, even getting better outfits loses value quickly, as your guys hit max stats. There needs to be something in the wasteland other weapons and outfits and there needs to be rooms to make something other than resources (and stims and rad-away), using whatever something that you find in the wasteland.

I just discovered that it costs the same to upgrade a 3 unit room as it does to upgrade a 1 unit room. So conceivably don’t upgrade any smaller unit until you group them all.

I don’t think that’s entirely correct. There does seem to be a discount. I just tested: it takes 250 to upgrade a single unit power room from lvl 1 to lvl 2. It takes 375 to upgrade a merged, two unit power room from lvl 1 to lvl 2.

Your advice is still sound.

Ah - is that the case? I could have sworn that upgrading my 3 room quarters cost the same as my one room. Nonetheless the savings are pretty significant!

If i was starting again, i’d do my vault very differently, but this game sadly makes it really hard to change your vault. Luckily this game has a pretty short shelf life, so i will just consider this game “beat” in a couple weeks of light playing.

I sent my best trio out to explore before going to work today with very good weapons, 10 med packs and 6 radpacks each. I just hope it is enough for them to be alive when i get home. When they die, it takes nearly all of the money they gather to revive them. I was pretty annoyed last night. I tried sending them out a while after i got home and after 3-4 hours in the wilds, they only had a few hundred caps each. So i need to send them out longer i guess.

Exploring seems like the main way to get money, but my medpack production line isn’t strong enough to support more than 3 good adventures at a time.

I’m pretty sure I make a lot more money from room production (luck-based) and rushing. Exploring takes a long time.

Much, much more money from room production. Sending out an explorer for 24 hours might net 3k. You can make that in 5 minutes through room production, easily.

Sheesh, so I need to prioritize getting my luck stat up? Is that the only important part?

How do you do that? Do you need a bunch of followers with max luck/main room stat?

I don’t have the luck training building yet, or many people with really high stats without using main room stat armor, so my luck isn’t great. This results in rushing failing almost all of the time. 20% chance to fail certainly seems to fail 5 times in a row.

I don’t think luck has anything to do with rush chances (seems to be main stat based). Either way, 20% should be 20%, you’re just getting a bad run of rolls, it seems. According to the tool tips, luck governs whether you get a cap bonus when production completes.

Just expand production. Once you have 20-30 production rooms (individual rooms, so counting a triple room as 3) you’re more likely to get bottlecaps more often regardless of luck attributes. And once you have enough people for a luck training room, start boosting characters - you’ll get caps almost constantly once you have a few characters in every room with luck attributes of even 4+. The effect snowballs.

I almost never use Rushing anymore, unless it’s a quest. Rush has a recharge level - success rate is just based upon how long since you used it in that room, not luck.

Well, my time with this game is done.

The game crashed during the start of a bandit attack and now i can’t load my vault. It just instantly closes the game when i try to load my vault. I can load my old vault though so it looks like my main vault got corrupted.

Hopefully the actual game itself is less buggy.

Fallout Shelter has been a huge success.

Fallout Shelter rapidly climbed the ranks of the highest grossing apps during its first week on the App Store. Within two days of launch the game cracked the top-grossing chart, overtaking King’s Candy Crush as the App Store’s number three top-grossing app in the United States.

Interesting, I thought it was a pretty “bad” moneymaking app. I never felt the need to buy any extra lunchboxes, AND I consumed all of the current end game content in just a few days of playing. I’ve quite: I got all of the higher production rooms and was simply into a cycle of updating stats. The key, at least for me, was to keep all the female dwellers pregnant almost constantly. Fun little quick game that’s well polished, but zero long-term depth.