Fallout Shelter (the iOS game)

is this f2p/energy/timer-based on pc too?

I recently started playing this and am having a problem with some vault dweller happiness. I read something that said to put people in jobs inline with their skills to make them happy. So I have this int 9 guy with a happiness rating of 40 and I put him into a job making radaway in the science lab and how his happiness is 11%. I put him in the living area, but I do not really want more vault dwellers atm.

The highest stat rating that a character starts with (not what you’ve improved it to) affects that initial happiness rating. But any character should be able to get to 75% happiness working in a room unless something is wrong - things that negatively affect happiness are dead bodies around, radiation damage, lack of food/water.

To improve happiness, you can get at 10% bump from successfully rushing a room, or if you unlock Bottle and Cappy they will come by occasionally and significantly improve happiness, and by having someone in a radio room. But the most effective way is just to hook them up for sex - if you don’t want the resulting new inhabitant, you can just kick him/her out once they’ve grown to an adult. Being in the living area won’t improve happiness by itself - only if they have sex there.

The NPC in question is Elder Lyons, who started with a 9 int and 9 charisma. Perhaps charisma is his magic stat, and so far the only use for that is making babies. What gets rid of radation damage in the vault? Elder Lyons has some of that and it doesn’t seem to go away even though the vault has some radx.

Radiation damage will gradually heal by itself if you don’t have water shortages (and they don’t take additional damage from radiation creatures like feral ghouls or radscorpions) - but that’s very slow. Just manually use Radx from the character screen for that character.

Charisma is also useful for the radio room, but that’s not something that will help the character gain experience or happiness. Radiation damage is the reason for her unhappiness - you have to remove that.

I’m highly annoyed that I can’t seem to even start this game on a Xbox One. I download and fire it up, but then fails to sign me in, can’t get past the splash screen. Looking at the error this seems to be a common problem on for the platform, guess I’ll just give up.

Yay, I can’t get enough of the Cleve jokes! :)

You are not missing much. I tried it for a while, but then I found out that your vault dwellers do not seem to work when you are not actively playing it, but the DO consume resources. For example, if I just played a while, I would increase the amount of water I had. Yet if I put it down and checked in 24 hours, my vault would be out of water and power. I do not have time to baby sit the game, nor is the the game-play interesting enough to do so.

I realize this probably doesn’t interest anyone all that much, but I figured I could at least add a coda to my little story - I tried this game on my Xbox One X, just to see if that made a difference, and apparently it does. I’m able to play the game now. Not sure why exactly, but I’ll see if this little game has any fun way down in it now.

Glad to hear it’s working now.

I doubt the X made a difference, but I remember there being a bunch of platform issues around the time you were having problems. Looks like they’ve since been fixed!

Yeah that probably came out more cause-and-effect than I meant, I just don’t have my old Xbox One around anymore to see how it would play in that, if at all.

Hey, you guys didn’t tell me this game is kind of great! For a trifle of an F2P superinfection (note: autocorrect took something I wrote and turned it into “superinfection”. I love that too much to correct it) anyway. I love that it’s designed to be played in bite-size chunks, just a little to check in on your shelter, add on or improve your modules, maybe run a quest or something. Then come back a while later and try again. It’s perfect for playing around other larger games. I’m having a good time!

Also digging the Play Anywhere experience so I can log in on the PC if my wife is hogging the TV. Which she would never do of course. Ahem.

I’ve put too much time into this on the ios ipad pro version. They stopped producing new content some time ago, it seems, but I still boot it up occasionally to see the holiday decorations when they’re available.

I never did get more than about a third of the legendary dwellers, despite opening up hundreds of lunchboxes. Also missing a handful of (relatively weak) outfits that can’t be crafted and are only available through lunchboxes. But I got hundreds of hours out of it.

Did they ever make the endgame interesting?

Whoa, I’m not nearly that far along. My vault just hit 60 inhabitants and I just unlocked nuclear power. Guessing that’s a step up from electricity, I’m just getting one set up.

Get ready for some new visitors!

There is no real endgame or even challenge, other than in hardcore, which ends up playing exactly the same once you get properly set up. It’s more about just seeing all the content/items/ and seasonal changes, etc.

Edit: well Desslock was right, that was like clockwork. And I was right too.

Just wanted to add, now that I’ve been playing a bit longer, that radscorpions are all screwed up. Specifically, how much of your energy they leech just by visiting. If you’ve played this, then you know that you’ll be regularly attacked by various things, sometimes raiders, sometimes just radroaches, and as you get further along, even death claws. But worst of them all, in my experience is the dreaded radscorpion. Those things will regularly leech off half my electrical stockpile, and I’ve got 4000 max capacity now, pretty much four times as much as I carry of food and water. There’s no way that’s supposed to happen that way. Something is goofed up in the math there. The day I dread a visit from a single radscorpion more than a set of three death claws is one messed up day.

If you enjoy Fallout Shelter, and you think HBO’s Westworld universe is cool, you might really enjoy a new mobile game called Westworld.

In a suit filed in a Maryland U.S. District Court, Bethesda alleges that Westworld — developed by Behaviour and released this week for Android and iOS — “has the same or highly similar game design, art style, animations, features and other gameplay elements” as Fallout Shelter.

Bethesda said in its suit that Behaviour uses “the same copyrighted computer code created for Fallout Shelter in Westworld,” alleging that a bug evident in an early version of Fallout Shelter (which was later fixed) also appears in Westworld. Bethesda alleges the companies “copied Fallout Shelter’s features and then made cosmetic modifications for Westworld’s ‘western’ theme.”