Fantasy Flight Interactive Studio Formed to Bring Fantasy Flight’s Tabletop Properties to the Digital Realm

@Mysterio posted this in the all-purpose board-gaming thread, but I think this warrants a thread of it’s own:

I think this could be really interesting, especially that the purpose is not only to make digital versions of the tabletop games:

I think the setting is called Terrinoth. As far as generic fantasy worlds go, it is ok. My guess is that they’ll use it since they already have it. Also, I predict we’ll see games set in the Android universe. Since EA has an exclusive video game license with Disney (?), I doubt we’ll see anything from their Star Wars games.

I doubt it is realistic, but I’d like to see FFG and Paradox collaborate on a Twilight Imperium addon for Stellaris.

I’d hope they’ll be going more towards translating their board games to digital than trying to do AAA, 50+ million, “hope you get 3 million sales minimum” gaming.

I don’t understand: they were already, supposedly, doing some digital board game porting in-house with their Elder Signs and Battlelore, weren’t they?

A digital version of Eldritch Horror would be absolutely epic.

FFG wants to make video games? What could possibly go wrong…

This.

The game is getting to the point where it takes too damn long to set up. I’d like some sort of hybrid, where you could manage your character, items, and ongoing mythos effects while we use the board to move around and play.

This has the potential to be really big.Tabletop and Digital have been two mediums flirting together for so long that eventually they will consummate and create a contemporary offspring that really blows the doors off expectations of what can be done (Not just things like X-Com, Mansions of Madness 2.0, etc.)

That said, I’m cautious Asmodee will be behind it, but never know. Excited to see what happens.

This could be amazing. They have a lot of amazing games and the only problem with board gaming tends to be A) setup and B) getting people together. A well made video game version fixes those issues neatly. I will be following this with keen interest.

As I said in the boardgame thread, I just want them to do digital versions of their boardgames. none of their original IP cries out for videogame adaptation to me and their licenses would not extend to videogames, I am sure.

Hey @Vic_Davis, these guys should totally hire you!

You’re not jonesing for a hidden object game set in the world of Runebound?

I couldn’t tell you a single thing about the world of Runebound and they have been using it since the original edition of Diskwars back in the 90s.

(I think that’s the same setting, anyway. It’s been around ages, either way.)

This has been an absolutely amazing year for tabletop-to-video games, both original (Antihero, Afghanistan '11) and adaptations (Through the Ages, Race for the Galaxy). I welcome FFG’s involvement.

I’m just sad that this definitely has nothing to do with their awesome passel of RPG properties :(

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/#/category/roleplaying-games

I chatted with an FFG designer, Jonathan Ying, at a local con a year ago. He said that they definitely had been pushing to include more digital components in their tabletop games. Their logic was that set-up time should be included in a consideration of a game’s total play time…and since that time is decidedly not fun, it should be minimized as much as possible. Therefore, the 2nd edition of Mansions of Madness featured a mandatory app which replaced lots of movable pieces in the 1st edition, cutting down on pregame set up and in-game piece fiddling. (I never played either edition of that game so I can’t say if it was a good strategy. It sounded sound, though.)

I had hoped that this axiom would have resulted in a streamlined 2nd edition of Android. No sign of such a thing yet, though.

Probably didn’t do well enough to justify bothering.

More board games on the digital front? That sounds awesome to me. I like things that keep track of rules for me. Evolution is actually pretty good even in it’s beta state. (i know that’s not FFG). FFG board games in digital edition that sets everything up for me and keeps track of those novel sized rules, even better.

I don’t think they’ll ever do a second edition of Android. It sold so poorly that they had to clean out their warehouse in one of those end of the year sales at incredibly low prices.

Sure, sure, I hear you. But it has dozens of fans worldwide. Dozens!

This is, more-or-less, Mansions of Madness 2.0.