Fantasy Flight Interactive Studio Formed to Bring Fantasy Flight’s Tabletop Properties to the Digital Realm

RPS interview about the new studio:

Wonderful: 2500 words, not a single bit of information!

RPS: Can you tell me which of Fantasy Flight’s properties you’re focussing on first?

Tim: Not at this time.

Basically the entire thing. Literally everything else is talking about how everyone on the team loves games and some random bragging.

I just would really like some confirmation that they are making digital versions of their best boardgames instead of, or at least in addition to whatever random videogame nonsense they keep sounding like they’re focusing on.

Yeah, not a lot of information there, except to expect the announcement of the first game before the end of the year and a Q1 2018 release.

Lord of the Rings getting the digital treatment:

http://www.fantasyflightinteractive.com/announcing-the-lord-of-the-rings-living-card-game.html

http://www.fantasyflightinteractive.com/into-a-new-age.html

Neat. That seems like the perfect way to experience that game. My only concern?

…what is the in-game currency for?

Holy crap, please please do this well. LOTR:LCG is one of the best card games ever made. OCTGN is a pretty decent way of playing it digitally today. I suggest grabbing this QUICKLY if you want to try it before it disappears due to this announcement.

Card packs of course.

Read the second link. It sounds like Hero packs will be the “for $$” sets, and Valor (in-game currency) buys special singles.

It actually sounds like only the Valor cards will be (optionally) sold for real money, the way they phrased it. But I guess we’ll see. I personally would have preferred a business model identical to the boardgame, but as long as it’s not too much of a pain to earn the game currency and/or the RMT prices are reasonable it doesn’t sound too horrible.

Should probably be pointed out that this isn’t a straight adaptation of the LCG, but is loosely based on it.

I don’t know, the Favor cards seem like a major red flag to me. I don’t like games that rely on boosters

nooooooooooooooooooooooo…

(Unceremoniously tosses interest in the toilet)

Sadly, we have the first studio closure of 2020.

Oh bummer. I was really looking forward to the Mansions of Madness game. Heck, just a Call of Cthulhu living card game on the computer would have been a dream come true.

That’s a bummer. Even if they never really did that much - I guess that weirdly compromised LOTR LCG adaptation was them? But it launched with basically no fanfare that I could tell and doesn’t seem to have emulated what people appreciate about either the game itself or the LCG business model.

Sounds like their tabletop RPG division also got smacked with layoffs. That includes the new Star Wars RPGs (Edge of Empire, Rise of Rebellion, etc.), Legend of the Five Rings, and their own universal game system, Genesys, which is actually pretty cool.

Oh man. Their games are lot easier to digest in digital form.