Fantasy Flight's Star Wars Rebellion

Well, this is now a thing. It’s a beefy box and I’ve been looking through it. The systems seem pretty easy, if we’re still going with the War of the Ring comparison it seems lighter. The leader/mission system seems like it gives you interesting choices. The rebel’s running battle to run out the clock and accomplish objectives to help shorten that timer is a good contrast to the imperial goal of finding and destroying the rebel base. I don’t see it supplanting War of the Ring, that one is just genius, but I’m very eager to give this a play through and see how those systems work in play. And, it looks like they did get creative in their card use, there’s some cute little thematic effects waiting to come out.

Tom Mc

I am two games in now. Both as the Empire and both loses. This latest one really had the Rebel player using objectives to good effect. hey were able to run down the clock very nicely and even though I had a pretty good lock on the base I just couldn’t get there in time. There’s a nice reoccurring, “Heart of the Empire,” objective that makes protecting Coruscant very very important, as it should be. The rebel player had a good set of missions that snuck a good force into the capital and pretty much knocked out my forward progress and the shortened clock got them the game. Aside from a few component quirks I like it. Yea I think its a little pricey and overproduce but so far so good.

Tom Mc

I got to play it last night as well and loved it. I was the Rebels and got crushed on round 3, which should’ve been disheartening, but I felt like I put up a really good fight. The game ended where I had a pretty big ground force, as did my opponent, and I’d used the mission to move my base at the end of the phase successfully. So all I had to do was survive this one invasion. The dice didn’t favor me, but it was a really exciting way to go down.

I don’t really like the combat system. Combats take quite a bit of time and there isn’t really any interesting decisions during them. But I liked the whole rest of the game so much that I’m happy to push through it.

Placing leaders to push action is a great system, and building up leaders in a location to use their skills together lends even more drama and momentum to the story. I learned pretty quickly how important it is to not send Mon Mothma alone. Vader is out there, and will capture her easily without some protection. It develops simple but great moments, like General Veer goes off to Coruscant to do and R&D and gets ambushed by a rebel fleet, his stats end up getting drawn into the fight (and potentially prevent a better general from being played).

Really excited for my second play. Not sure if I should play Rebels again and use what I learned or play as the Imperials (who looked like a ton of fun to play).

Yea the leaders as resources, the way missions and movement offer all kinds of rough choices, even the simple building and deploy system, I like. But, I agree that the combat system is an area that needlessly over complicated with the cards. They should have borrowed more from War of the Ring and just used leadership values as rerolls. I like the way the dice work in battle and having some cards affect combat is good in principle but those decks are a mess. At least I’ve always felt awkward using them. Maybe I’ll get used to it.

Tom Mc

Please make this thread go away.

-Tom

How long does the game take once you know how to play?

You underestimate the power of the dark side of the force. Give in to your anger, and together we can rule the (cardboard) galaxy.

I don’t think it will ever be short. My guess is it will be between two to three hours. It’s hard for me to track because time will totally get away from me. Which is great, in a game that long you want the constant engagement and excellent pacing Rebellion has.

Tom Mc

I agree. Parts of it are going to speed up, but with more knowledge of the game, other parts are going to slow down. Once you know how Luke becomes a Jedi, Imperial players are going to have another layer of mindgames to work through about protecting Dagobah. I think 4 hours on the outside is probably right. Surprisingly the box may not be lying about play time.

This game isn’t for you, Tom. Look:

The corners are already rounded.

But only if you are Rebel scum!

I got to play this over the weekend. So good, so thematic. We played two four-player games. The first one took 3 turns as me and my Imperial partner stumbled onto the Rebel base Ozzel-style while the Rebels were unprepared. The second game was closer but took about 9 turns and took five hours. The Empire seemed pretty powerful and it seemed the Rebels were struggling the whole game. They couldn’t get any objectives going and the Empire was thick and spread out, preventing them from generating any sort of stand-off. Can’t wait to play as a Rebel next time.

You want this?

I was thinking of setting up the game in the dinning room and maybe playing it with my son a little at a time. Do you think that would take away from the overall experience? Hard to find time to play one on one for a lengthy sitting.

I cannot justify the purchase otherwise since we do have game nights with the family but they tend to be a bunch of shorter games.

You guys are worse than whatever that floating torture droid/ball was that they used on Princess Leia.

-Tom

You could definitely play that way -no cats right ;)- there are turns that can offer natural breaking points. They get longer as each side collects more leaders and that contributes to the overall length of the game.

Tom Mc

Finally got a chance to get this on the table this afternoon. Played a game with a friend of mine, first time either of us laid hands on the game. Since it was my copy of the game and I’d skimmed the cards before, I gave him the privilege of choosing his faction after reading through the manual and he went with the Rebels. We also used the first-time play setup from the manual and skipped the action cards as was recommended for the first game.

The first turn had the Imperial fleet blitzing for Mon Calamari and Kashyyyk as quickly as possible (having told the Rebels before the game started that this was exactly what was going to happen). Both planets were quickly subjugated as diplomatic efforts ramped up on Sullust to bring them fully into the fold. The Rebels worked instead on consolidating control of Naboo and Geonosis, acquiring their loyalty and pouring troops into them.

Battles were few and far between in the early game, with only a few Rebel uprisings on the numerous subjugated worlds the Empire was clinging to by force. The Empire focused on securing loyalty of as many systems as possible while maneuvering small fleets around the galaxy to secure as many worlds as possible against Rebel sneak attacks (and to validate that these worlds did not hide the Rebel base). Imperial probe droids were successful in turning up many of the outer worlds (with no population and, thus, not otherwise worth conquering) in the early game, which freed up forces to instead take over worlds with population that could contribute to the war effort in some way.

A wookiee uprising on Kashyyyk removed Imperial control and secured it for the Rebels, while the Empire could never be bothered to deploy any ships to retake it on account of it being an ineligible Rebel base location. Chewbacca embarked on a campaign of non-stop sabotage of critical Imperial worlds including Sullust (producing valuable land units which were in short supply) and Mon Calamari (restricting the flow of Star Destroyers). Despite this, the Rebels took an extremely long time acquiring a world capable of supporting Mon Calamari cruisers, and thus their fleet was never able to truly compete with any Imperial force.

The Death Star plans were also elusive, though this was by the Rebel player’s inexplicable choice. The Empire even attempted to steal back the plans but could not find them, settling instead for returning a 1 point objective that would have been satisfied later that turn. Mon Mothma, who had been captured in an earlier mission to Mon Calamari, was frozen in carbonite (adding one more turn to the length of the game) right before the Empire conducted a massive communications intercept operation. This forced the Rebel player to draw eight probe droid cards (of 12 remaining at that point) and give the Empire all of the cards drawn for systems with any Imperial presence. This narrowed the Rebel base’s location to one of four planets in the upper-right corner of the board. Naboo and Geonosis were heavily fortified, Ryloth was securely located behind those planets out of easy reach of the Empire, and Rodia which was completely defenseless and directly next to two Imperial strongholds.

Time was running out. The Imperial player had three turns left and a gigantic swarm of Rebels to cut through to finish the game. To win, the system with the Rebel base needed to be cleaned out, and once it was located there would be immediate ground/space reinforcements transferred from the hidden Rebel Base space to its actual on-board location which made a sneak attack practically impossible. Construction of a second Death Star had just finished on Mustafar, after being rushed to completion by Jerjerrod, and a superlaser attack card was available but not deployed (with only one having been used on Bothawui so far). Having decided they were quickly running out of time, the Empire pushed a carrier loaded with TIEs and stormtroopers to Rodia and landed on the planet’s surface, which forced the Rebel player to reveal it as his base (which was awkward given that a Death Star hovered over it for two turns earlier in the game without noticing). The reinforcements immediately deployed and wiped out the force, triggering two Rebel objectives and awarding enough points to make this the actual last turn of the game. If the base remained alive after the final Imperial leader acted, the Rebels would successfully run out the clock by default.

The Emperor himself, being the last free leader available, deployed to Rodia and brought the original Death Star with him. Since the Rebels had no fighters left due to the valiant sacrifice of the TIEs earlier, the Death Star wiped out the Rebels’ capital ship fleet, but could not target the ground forces due to not having the superlaser card in play. Thankfully, Boba Fett was assigned a planetary assault mission which allowed a strike force of AT-ATs, AT-STs and stormtroopers to deploy from anywhere in the galaxy to any other planet for a battle. Originally intended to strike Ryloth, out of reach of normal means, this card allowed the Imperials to perform an otherwise impossible movements and deploy against a woefully underprepared force of Rebel foot soldiers. Without airspeeder support, they were quickly annihilated with minimal losses, securing the entire system for the Empire and ending the game mere minutes before the disastrous defeat would have triggered.

The Rebels attempted to deceive the Empire with heavy troop concentrations on unrelated worlds, but failed to secure their base itself with adequate troop numbers in turn. The inability to react to the unexpected pinning of their base gave them no chance to stop the Imperial onslaught. There were numerous misplays on both sides but it was a lot of fun. Total gameplay time was around 4.5 hours, which was roughly what we expected. Tentative rematch in about a month with the sides switched and all the remaining rules added in (hopefully with fewer rules mistakes).

Oh dear Lord it begins.

I’m a little worried and will probably end up ignoring this.

Tom Mc

Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen.

Oh no, my wife is going to kill me.