Fantasy Island (2020) - Da plane crashes

I saw this trailer at this weekend’s showing of Doctor Sleep. Michael Pena plays Mr. Roarke. It looks like all kinds of terrible.

Hilariously scheduled to release on Valentine’s Day 2020.

“Horror reimagining”? BRING ON THE KILLER DWARVES!

You laugh, but this is the main killer in most of Rob Zombie’s 31:

I never watched the original Fantasy Island, but I’m pretty sure this is tonally very different.

It’s a Blumhouse general-audience horror movie, so yes, it seems very different in tone. The old TV show was very lighthearted. While Ricardo Montalban’s Roarke was something of a trickster, the show’s weekly stories were usually pretty lighthearted. Even though people’s fantasies didn’t turn out the way they exactly wanted, most left the island with an improved situation. Learning a lesson about love, forgiveness, or that their real treasure was the friends they made along the way, etc.

The only time the original show went kind of dark was when Mr. Roarke had to fight the Devil, played with panache by Roddy McDowall.

The reboot series in '98 was all about how Roarke was a more sinister figure. This time played by Malcom McDowell clearly not giving a shit.

I have never heard of “Fantasy Island” before. It must not have ever gone into syndication.

Really? Back in the era of Only Broadcast Networks, it was fairly iconic.

Your rock. Exit from beneath same. :)

In movies like this I sometimes like to imagine the actors are their characters from other movies.

Which means that we’re finally going to get a Veronica Mars, Antman & Wasp, Nikita teamup as they track down and kill the demon from that bad Lucy Hale movie where everyone had the “it used to be creepy but now it’s overused” big smiles.

I was gonna say, “and my wife says I live under a rock.

Truth or Dare. Written and directed by the same person writing and directing this.

Ell-oh-ell

Oh hey, I wondered what Maggie Q was up to!

:)

It was a good episode, I’d forgotten about it.

Yeah, Fantasy Island was strange; like very whimsical, not-so-well-written Twilight Zone episodes crossed with the tone and DNA of The Love Boat.

Do you even TV, Bro?

Not in the 1970s, old-Bro.

Ok, Boomer. :)

Nah, those distorted smiles/facial expressions were played out from back when they did it in the “Black Hole Sun” video.

Fantasy Island, the Love Boat, and CHiPs were in serious syndication during my childhood. Plus of course the live action groovy 60s Batman

Who knows, maybe this will be good? I thought the CHiPs movie was pretty funny.