Far Cry 2 technical thread

I’ve read there are some issues with stuttering on some systems with DX10, but switching to DX9 will sort the issue out until a new driver is released.

EDIT:

You might also try bringing down the console and entering;

gfx_maxfps 30

Not clear on what it does, but I hear it stops stuttering in DX10

What exactly does the DX10 version have that the DX9 version lacks?

Do I need to consider installing Vista?

I couldn’t tell anything after a cursory glance. Sometimes it’s a very subtle effect, like how the water intersects the coastline or volumetric fog and smoke in Bioshock. DX10 runs great on my machine so that’s what I am using. I definitely wouldn’t bother installing vista if that’s all I wanted.

My system:

AMD 6000+ @ 3ghz
ATI 4850
4GB RAM
Vista 64

At 1680x1050 resolution the game runs very smooth for me with the framerate averaging in the upper 30/lower 40s, all settings at Very High (not gonna bother with Ultra High) and DX10 enabled.

Curious about what improvements I’ll see with the hotfix when the game runs so well already…

Crysis this is not (thumbs up).

I’m still plaing DX9 mode and “out of date drivers” and it looks great. No technical issues, no bugs, very solid framerate.

Just had my first crash to desktop, has that happened to anyone else?

Also, screenshots that I take of the game turn out all black when I try to paste it in MS Paint.

Are we sure that it runs better on Vista and quad core?

The test pc in the review and benchmark:
Intel QX9650
Radeon HD4850
1280x1024 Very high
Average: 44
Min: 33

My pc:
Intel E8400
Radeon HD4850
1280x1024 Very High
Average: 47
Min: 37

The difference is basically the quadcore instead of dual core and Vista instead of XP.

Nvidia released new 180.43 beta drivers for Far Cry 2 today. Hopefully they fixed the dumber, quirkier problems.

Thanks for the tip, datter. Downgrading from DX9 from DX10 solved my problem and I don’t see any difference.

What a fantastic game.

YAYAYAYAYAYAY

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=143018#143018

SuhWEET!

Thank you for that. I was jut playing and thinking the view looked a bit tight so I popped out to see if there were any FOV hacks, and I find this. Awesome.

That link just makes me think, where do I get one of them 5040x1050 monitors.

isnt there a more elegant way of doing this? such as editing some .ini somewhere?

I don’t understand:

For … 16:10 …

X FOV: 1.31
Y FOV: 1.253

For Triple 16:10

X FOV: 3.85
Y FOV: 1.253

Which one do we use?

Also once the hack is done once, do we have to do it again every time we boot the game?

I’m guessing the triple is for 3 monitors? Or something. I expect the numbers to use are the first set. I’m going to give it a go here in a minute and find out. Thanks for that link!

Not working for me. I run the hack program, adjust the settings, and while in-game I hit * to change to the hacked settings as instructed in the readme. No change in FOV.

Strange. I did the following:

1.) Loaded hack program
2.) Adjust numbers as suggested
3.) Loaded Far Cry 2
4.) Loaded my save game.
5.) Toggled between keypad * and keypad \ a few times to appreciate my new FOV

Before: http://img529.imageshack.us/my.php?image=farcry22008102421085582gd7.jpg
After: http://img379.imageshack.us/my.php?image=farcry22008102421084926ze4.jpg

I’m pretty certain this FOV tool is from the same guy who released it for both STALKER and Bioshock. Works as advertised for me.

The FOV tool worked great for me, I feel much less claustrophobic than before.

Cool, working for me now. Strange that it didn’t initially. I can’t believe how stretched the image used to be…

I wish there was a way to fix the FOV without having to load the hack each time.

By the way, I don’t know if it’s been mentioned already but quicksaves are separate files that are stored in the My Documents folder (at least in XP), so if you’re a hateable savebaby like myself you might want to keep an eye on the number of saves you accumulate.