Far Cry 2 "What The Hell Is Wrong With This Game" Thread

OK, so what the hell am I doing wrong.

• took taxi from airport
  • fixed car
  • drove around and did my initial “kill the foozle” quest
  • got my first safehouse
  • second “kill the foozle” quest, rescued the woman, who told me to meet her at Mike’s Bar for some sweet, delicious Malaria medication
  • drive to area marked Mike’s Bar on map, visit arms dealer. Nobody is there
  • see Mike’s Bar nearby but none of the doors work

The game mentioned something about the arms dealer “not being there right now”, so I thought maybe I was there at the wrong time (btw, fuck that game mechanic – your job as an NPC is to be wherever I am and available to me 24/7), so…

• I drive ALL THE GODDAMN WAY BACK to the safehouse, sleep for a few hours. drive back. Nobody there.
  • I drive ALL THE GODDAMN WAY BACK to the safehouse AGAIN, sleep overnight (night/day cycles, so I know it happened). drive back. nobody there.

This is almost as un-fun as Mafia, The Orienteering Sim™!

So what am I doing wrong?

Use the computer in the arms dealer’s shack.

If you check your objectives it tells you what to do. Specifically, you are required to use the computer in the arms dealers office to buy a new gun, then go next door and pick it up before you can do anything else.

I agree that it’s not clear in game what you are supposed to do. I wandered around for a bit before checking the objectives and figured it out.

NOOOOOO!!!

I’m still holding out hope this game is more STALKER to me than anything, with lots of nitpicking from the unwashed masses but something that I’ll end up loving.

“WHY CAN’T I MOVE?!?!?”

-Tom

Use the computer at the arms dealer. The door at Mike’s bar does work; it’s facing the water, not the road.

I had close to the same level of frustration at that part too. I didn’t want to buy any guns at the moment so I kept trying to hit up the bar only to realize I had to go back, buy a gun, then check the bar. Door was still locked. I then realized I needed to actually pick up the gun, so I went back, discovered the armory isn’t the same building so go next door, finally get the gun, now it’s telling me to go to the bar. Finally.

@#%(@#$ front door won’t open. Don’t panic. Check around the building. Ah door in the back works. What. The. Fuck. In retrospect, I feel stupid, but at the time, it was frustration incarnate.

Once you learn to check the objectives instead of trying to decipher the heavy accents issued by people with marbles in their mouths who apparently had a mandate from their union to read all lines as fast as possible because nobody was getting paid by the hour… then it’s all kinds fun.

For those of you with complaints about the “speed reading,” are you playing on a specifc system? Just wondering since I’m playing on the PC and have not seen this issue.

I thought “speed reading” was in reference to the VO delivery, which is indeed awkward.

Don’t worry, he just missed a mission queue. It does clearly say to use the computer. I missed it too and left the building after the line about the arms dealer not being there. You buy arms via the computer, and I guess the arms dealer later on gives you missions to get new types of guns. The computer doesn’t stand out, the game doesn’t give usable things a glow or anything, so its easy to overlook at first, but all you need to do is look at your mission goal to see what you are supposed to do.

You’re doing it wrong.

I did misspeak. Things you can pick up like health packs are highlight, save points are too, but the computer did not appear to be. The hand came up when I stood right in front of it, but like the person who started this thread I completely missed it at first.

I actually used the computer in the arms dealer. I only have the one blood diamond, so I didn’t think I could buy anything. I didn’t realize you HAVE to buy a gun; I thought the objective was to meet the lady and get my damn Malaria medicine at the bar.

That’s odd, I had 10 diamonds at that point. Did you find the suitcase using your gps unit earlier in the tutorial portion.

He didn’t get the suitcase.

Wumpus, hitting ESC and looking at the right-hand side of the screen shows you your objectives.

The objective clearly tells you to use the computer to buy a weapon. And you’re given ten conflict diamonds to do it. It won’t unlock the next goal until you’ve done that. And shortly before that, I’ll bet you dollars to donuts there was one of those pop-up tutorial windows telling you to hit the start button* to check your objectives.

It’s part of the early scripting to make sure people don’t, you know, flail around helplessly once the game opens up wider. :)

-Tom
  • YMMV by platform.

Far Cry 2 “What The Hell Is Wrong With Wumpus” Thread

I had the suitcase – it contained ONE physical diamond, which my creepy character hand grabbed and closely examined. So that magically transforms into TEN diamonds?

I guess I expected a guy to be at the arms dealer, and hearing “the dealer isn’t here right now” made me think I wasn’t there at the right time.

OK, I got the gun, and I go to the bar.

I talk to my new female buddy. She tells me to talk to the guy at the table. I do. He says some boring blah blah blah crap, I pick up his tape recorder and get the objective to go to the church. So I make for the door.

YOU SHOULD TALK TO BOTH OF YOUR BUDDIES BEFORE YOU LEAVE

Hmm. I go back and talk to him again. Yep, he’s saying the same stuff. Did I miss the trigger the first time? I got it now. I then walk over to the door.

God DAMN it. Ok, so I walk back and wait for his entire boring-ass schpiel. All the while I’m thinking about how many other things I’d rather be doing. Like, having fun. Shooting crap. Explosions. Boobs. Anyway. Is he done? Oh, he stopped talking. Must be done! I go to the door.

fuuuuuuuuuuck. OK, I go over and hit him again with the e key. More boring yadda yadda, don’t give a crap, can’t you see I have malaria here buddy, I’m in kind of a hurry? OK, he’s done. Go back to the door.

Are. You. Fucking. Kidding. Me. OK, go back. He says the same crap. I try the door again.

OK, maybe they’re referring to my other friend. Ah, sure enough she has something else to say. I wait patiently, dreaming of, oh I don’t know, anything outside this goddamn room. I head to the door.

Clearly, I can’t leave without my buddy Superfly!

Your princess is in another castle.