Far Cry 2 "What The Hell Is Wrong With This Game" Thread

NPCs often have multiple things to say. Keep talking until the hand no longer appears. In the bar, talk to all three people present.

Please tell me I can save anywhere.

I’m beginning to think that somebody forgot to check Wumpus’ ID before he bought the game.

There should be a 3rd person in the bar, at least there was for me. Go talk to them. I don’t know why they are my buddy, I had never seen them before, but whatever.

I love these kinds of threads. I don’t even need to buy the game, this is way more fun! I mean, uh, edifying. Yes, not fun. Not at all.

IN SOVIET RUSSIA, WUMPUS HUNTS for the arms dealer, the gun, the door of the fucking bar, the other buddy he’s supposed to talk to…

Wumpus, as I’m pretty sure the tooltips explain, you have mercenary “buddies” who you accumulate over the course of the game. The first one you rescue is your best buddy, who will unlock story element for you until you get him/her killed. You’ll also have backup buddies, including a secondary stand-by buddy.

The way the game introduces the first two is by having you rescue the first, who then tells you to meet him/her at Mike’s Bar, where you’ll also meet your second buddy. That’s the merc leaning on the wall next to the journalist, who is neither a mercenary nor your buddy. He’s the vendor for audio tapes, which are one of the game’s collectibles.

Hope that helps, buddy!

-Tom

P.S. In case you didn’t click the link, please do, as it is made of pure awesome.

YOU MUST GATHER YOUR PARTY BEFORE VENTURING FORTH

Ug. I can’t carry my AK47 and sniper rifle at the same time? But I don’t even want my rocket launcher dammit. I can’t believe I just typed that, but there you go.

Uh, can I have your rocket launcher? Those things are a great commodity early in the game if you want to do the arms merchant missions, which you need to do to get better weapons.

-Tom

OK, I found my second buddy, Superfly, and managed to escape the mysterious room of mystery.

I then had to drive around for what felt like 10 solid minutes to get to my next objective. On the way I take out a gate security post and a guard post, nearly getting killed by the “exiting the vehicle” animation in the process both time. Hint: you’re under fire, GET THE FUCK OUT OF THE CAR. Save the Dukes of Hazzard style showoff vehicle exits for another time.

Oh wait, I get a phone call! It’s my female buddy! So I go meet her. Blah blah blah, you’re slowing down my murderous African killing spree and I don’t appreciate that. Whatevs. I gotta go kill some people, lady. Outta my way with your blah blah blah go meet a mysterious Belgian. What is this, a social networking sim? Maybe I’ll friend him on his Facebook page or something. These bullets aren’t going to fire themselves.

On the way back I pass by the very same guard post which is now mysteriously populated with all new soldiers! Hey, wait a second. Didn’t I kill all you idiots like, literally, three minutes ago? Your enemy AI is so retarded I’m surprised you guys are able to successfully reproduce and create replacements. Apparently it’s the People’s Clone Liberation Front I’m up against. I’m sure as usual you’ll move directly into my line of fire and I’ll press the left button to grant you the sweet release you crave. click click click. dead. Whee. Fun.

Now, more driving. Drive drive drive. Check map. Drive. Wait, did I make wrong turn? Check the map again. Oh look, another “random” guard outpost. I am able to walk up to within 10 feet of these guys before they belatedly notice me. It still takes a full clip to kill TWO guys, so they make up in bullet resistance what they lack in intelligence, I guess. (note: I am playing on “challenging”, so maybe that has something to do with it).

OK I am finally at my destination! Now I’m being shot at by multiple enemies who apparently have the kind of super keen eyesight that lets them see me through the foliage, but I can’t see them. I fire at a few muzzle flashes but get killed.

My buddy comes and saves me in a ridiculously long “revive” animation. That’s helpful! Getting frustrated with the crappy generic gunplay at this point – hard to use cover when I can’t even LEAN, for chrissakes, much less use GOW or R6V style wallhugs – I become careless and get killed.

I wake up at the safehouse, miles and miles away from the mission.

I assume in order to get back to the mission I have to drive all the way back, PLUS clear out the People’s Clone Liberation Front armies which have repopulated everything along the way. Which would be fine, if the gunplay was interesting and the AI was engaging. But it isn’t.

You know, I think there’s a word for this game:

Unfun.

Or, maybe this is a first person shooter game for the person who hates first person shooters. Or themselves. Or both.

What’s with all this driving talk? Does this game have more of a GTA twist than Far Cry 1?

WHY CAN"T I LEAN??!!!?!!1??

-Tom

p.s. Darkplace looks neat

I picked up the Dragunov somewhere random and managed to unlock the SAW (or whatever it is called in this game) and buy the accuracy mod for it and a silencer and accuracy for the pistol. This seems to be the loadout of win so far, so I ditched the rocket launcher.

Unfortunately I don’t know what to do besides drive around and around and around and shoot the same batches of 4-5 guys over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

P.S. All the episodes of Darkplace are on Youtube.

I guess I’ll go play some more because I hate myself.

It’s not a good sign when you begin to loathe clicking the game icon on your desktop.

Things I’ve seen in the last 10 minutes:

• enemy car wedged against a tree, with enemies floating up around the trunk of the tree.
  • as above, but shooting me from a long distance behind foliage
  • cleared out guardpost on the way to get a message from my “Buddy”, went back and the People’s Clone Liberation army had already repopulated it. Notice that the health items do NOT get repopulated in this case, either.
  • ran out of ammo while fighting another PCLA vehicle, the enemy was reloading… no problem, I’ll machete his ass! Got my machete out, ran over to him, close enough to deliver a killing blow and…

collapsed due to a sudden malaria outbreak. So I was killed.

OK, I’m officially out.

In all seriousness, programming C# in Visual Studio is way more fun than this.

No idea why people are giving Far Cry 2 90%+ reviews. I kinda want my $50 back from STEAM, in fact.

also, the guy who decided that debilitating things happen to your character at random, and while in combat, should never ever ever be allowed to make videogames ever again.

Or, given real-world malaria with quests to get a single pill every time he gets sick.

Either way works for me.

I was stuck forever at the arms dealer as well. I walk in, it gives me a little schtick about how the arms dealer isn’t here but he may be later. I then leave, and try to go to the bar. I can’t get in. I go to the map and see that the quest icon is still over the arms dealer shack, so I walk back in there, and scoot my character around the entire room trying to go through the trigger volume so the script recognizes I’ve been in there.

I then figure hey, maybe I hit the trigger volume finally so I go outside and try to go into the bar again. Both doors are still non-interactable. I look at the map again, and the damn waypoint is still over the arms dealer.

I then start meticulously looking at every object in the arms dealer shack, and notice I can interact with the computer (why in the hell is everything else I can interact with glowing in the world, but the computer looks like generic adornment art? shitty visual language). I click on it, and get the sitting down animation… and it shows the screen. I look at the weapons available, and given my meager funds, I decide I’d rather get some more money before investing in the three crappy guns I already have.

At this point I’m convinced I’ve finally hit the script trigger to allow me to advance, and once again go outside and walk over to the bar. The damn thing still won’t let me in. At this point I thought I had hit a bug.

I’m sitting there staring at my TV trying to decide if I really want to start over. Then I think, wait, maybe they are forcing me to spend my money on one of the three weapons in the computer. Then I think, of course not. What sandbox game has ever forced you to spend money to progress along a tutorial… without explicitly telling you that you have to. I say what the hell, might as well try it. I sit down at the computer, buy a gun I don’t really want. Then it gives me a tip about how now I can pick the gun up at any armory in the game so I don’t have to worry about losing it.

Thank god! I don’t have to start over. The script finally triggered, so now I can progress. I walk across the street to the bar again, and what do you know, I can’t go in. I look at the map, and see that the waypoint is now over a building next door to the arms shack.

I walk into the building, and no tutorial text is triggered. I look around, and notice that there is a pistol hanging on the wall. At this point, I realize that this is the fucking shittiest tutorial I’ve ever played, and they’re going for more of a Lucasarts adventure vibe. I then arbitrarily pick up the pistol off the wall, and VIOLA! Puzzle solved! I can finally go into the bar.

Coming from someone who has played almost every single computer game ever made, 70% of every console game ever made and authored three tutorials for console games myself, this is by far the shittiest tutorial segment I have ever experienced.

Good thing the game is fantastic once you get past it.

(This is the 360 SKU, BTW)