Far Cry 3 may be good, but it's a far cry from Far Cry 2

0.0! Opinionated, refreshing, and honest is no way to go through life, Tom.

Very poor review in my opinion, amazing game, deserves more respect.

Correct, the Metacritic score of Far Cry 3 would be close to 95-97 if this awful, bias review had not been posted, its not meant to be a direct sequel, but a story that is similar to the last one.

why is this site allowed on metacritic i mean for real its obvious they intentionally lowball great games for page hits and ill admit it works becasue im here but it doesnt make it right.

I think you'd find a lot in Far Cry 3 to enjoy. Just not, for the most part, the things you enjoyed about Far Cry 2.

I agree that the Menus are terribly clunky and I miss the less menu driven approach of far cry 2 but the story and the gameplay are both much improved over far cry 2.

Far Cry 2 was bad because it was so tedious, not because it had too little action. If anything, it had too much action. Every time I got a mission I dreaded having to drive 20 seconds down a road, get out, kill 3 or 4 guys, scavenge, maybe have to get in other cars to drive them out of my way if they are blocking the road, repair my car, maybe kill another two guys if a jeep pulled up during all this time, maybe have to repair my car again, then repeat all this 5+ times there... and again 5 times back because all the enemies respawn! I got bored just describing it now. Every single person in the game would shoot at you on sight, even random people driving in sedans. It just made no sense, and it might have been a little fun if the combat was half as good as COD or any other FPS of the time. This is really just the tip of the iceberg for obnoxious or bizarre design decisions in that game. If you had to kill a convoy just wait in one spot because it will drive around in the same circle forever until you kill it. Remember the dialogue? Everyone - every single person - spoke in fast forward and completely sans-emphasis with no pauses between sentences. Text without audio would have been better. Far Cry 2 was rubbish.

I was fantasizing that Far Cry 3 would be what Far Cry 2 was supposed to be. Sadly, that does not appear to be the case. It does sound a lot better than what Far Cry 2 actually was, though.

I'm assuming you meant resent? If not, then you just called yourself a cunt.

I agree; I liked a lot of Far Cry 2 but it was, in many respects, far more 'gamey' than 3 is even and its systems and mechanics pulled me out of the exploring a hostile yet attractive world far more often. At least 3 has the decency to have working stealth system based on line-of-sight. If 2 had had me banging away to fix my jammed rifle while guys were hunting for me, it would have been tense and thrilling. What it did though was immediately tell everyone in 500m radius exactly where I was even if they couldn't see or hear me and then gave me no gun to deal with it.

It's an old joke, I can't remember the source atm. Black Adder maybe?

quarter of three suck, the most ridiculous page than i ever seen

Wow...this review is terrible! Just because Far Cry 2 had some flaws doesn't necessarily mean it was a bad game. People who didn't play it much because of the small things like enemies respawning obviously missed out on the big picture which is that Far Cry 2 is a good game. If you're driving and you come across a group of enemies...just ignore them and keep driving or switch to the mounted turret and kill them really quick...not a big deal. Also, nobody mentioned the fact that in Far Cry 2 & 3 Ubisoft made the games with no "camera snapping" in which everything you do has an animation like getting in a car or switching to the mounted turret which really did make a big difference in bringing players into the game and gameplay itself. Allowing players to be sneaky in Far Cry 3 really gives the player different options to play the way they want. If you want to be sneaky or go in guns blazing, it effects the player's decision on weapon upgrades/attachments. People have to stop nip picking apart games and complain about every little thing that isn't to their satisfaction.

FC2 itself was a shit game and not a sequel to FC1. It can be plainly seen that it was made with a vision of a simulator in mind but at some point the developers got lazy/rushed and copped-out. The apologists are in denial. They pretend that vision was fully realized and cry inside at the same time while they play FC2. FC3 is obviously not a sequel either but clunky inventory and change of development direction aside, it fixes everything that everyone (else) hated about FC2.

He's given quite a few 5/5, most recently I think Assassin's Creed 3.

harsh on Pc it is great , it is just the crappy console versions that really let the game down due to the aging hardware.

I, for one, loved Far Cry 3. It reminds me of The Heart of Darkness and how thin the line of insanity truly is. After all the hallucinations and the black outs I was questioning whether Jason was insane. As you start to notice Jason going deeper and deeper into insanity and watch him become more acceptable of killing, I began to sympathize with him. Thinking that I might do the same if my friends, girlfriend, and brothers were kidnapped, killed, and raped. Then, all of the sudden Jason regains his humanity. He starts to question his actions and who he has become. This game may have prevented me from getting a B in a few of my classes, but the story was just so dang good.

Completely basing your opinion of a game based on its direct comparison to another game nullifies any sort of credibility you might have immediately. Judge the game based on its own merit.

Armond White! That's who I was thinking of. Imputing moral failings to those who disagree (the second paragraph, and the sixth moreso) was particularly reminiscent.

"What makes Armond’s reviews perversely fascinating is that he is so obviously intelligent, yet this intelligence has been harnessed to the warped imperatives of an increasingly frustrated personality. Where your average critical hack job is just banal, White’s ability to disconnect the dots exerts a kind of bizarro brilliance."

Nobody's problem with Far Cry 2 was with what it was aiming for, it was how far short of the mark it fell. It was a bad game, not a misguided one. FC3 is possibly misguided and overgamified, but actually manages to be enjoyable.

Don't forget Zen Pinball 3D, The Darkness II, SSX, and Out of the Park Baseball 13. What a joke

Why is this website even on Metacritic? Do something else and stop writing crap about great games in order to get attention, you obviously don't know what you're doing.