Far Cry 4 confirmed, to be released in Nov 2014

My FC3 rental expired, but I liked it enough to pick up FC2 on Steam for $10. The difference in gameplay is pretty jarring. I’m loving the brutal difficulty and the fact that the game shows you the basics and quickly stops holding your hand. The endless tutorials and tips in FC3 were something that quickly grated on me. I also like how streamlined everything is. The map/GPS system is one of the best I’ve seen anywhere and I like that I don’t have to fuss around with a skill tree or inventory (though I may be in the minority considering how many games have skill trees and inventories).

And the tone difference between these two games is really interesting as well. FC3 is like a radical surfer bro adventure vacation while the FC2 world is more like what it would really be like to be dropped in on an island of warring tribes and sickness.

So all that makes me wonder, what is Far Cry 1 like?

Nothing like 2 or 3.

I still vividly remember moments from FC2. I remember walking along a road at night enjoying a moment of peacefulness, looking at the moon, listening to the sounds of nature. Then all of a sudden a patrolling jeep floors the gas pedal, the engine erupts in sound, and the guards try to run me over. I nearly jumped out of my chair as they scared the shit out of me. That was a brilliant game. Damn it now I want to reinstall it.

-Todd

I have it downloaded, but at this pace of sequels I will play Far Cry 4 before I replay Far cry 3. :P

FC1 was sort of two games for me. From the start until the research center, it was really good, lots of great gunplay, good atmosphere, great level design. After the mutant animal thingies it got more bleh. But it’s worth a shot for sure.

FC2 I liked a lot. FC3, eh, the tone and characters left me cold, and the story wasn’t interesting or remotely believable. More importantly, it had way too many scripted, timed sequences that to me, had no place in an open world shooter.

Does FC2 not have the times arcade pieces that are in FC3? I hated those. Like the mission where you find some underground missile base or something and the ONLY thing that happens is you have to escape within a time limit. No mystery, no explanation, just an excuse for a timed run and jump arcade sequence. For me those were filler that made no sense and didn’t fit the style of game.

PC specs released.

http://blog.ubi.com/far-cry-4-pc-specs/

MINIMUM
Supported OS
Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8/8.1 (64bit versions only)
Processor
Intel Core i5-750 @ 2.6 GHz or AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.2 GHz

Memory
4GB

Video Card
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 or AMD Radeon HD5850 (1GB VRAM)

Direct X
Version 11

Hard Drive
30 GB available space

Sound Card
DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card with latest drivers

OPTIMAL
Supported OS
MS Windows 7 SP1, MS Windows 8/8.1 (64bit versions only)
Processor
Intel Core i5-2400S @ 2.5 GHz or AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 GHz or better

Memory
8GB

Video Card
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 or AMD Radeon R9 290X or better (2GB VRAM)

Direct X
Version 11

Hard Drive
30 GB available space

Sound Card
DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card with latest drivers

Pretty much in-line with other PC games that have also been on current-gen systems, looks like. Outside of Watch_Dogs incredible CPU requirements, iirc. I suspect if someone had a rig capable of running Far Cry 4 at optimal, they’ll have no problems running any game that drops on either PS4 and/or XBO for the life of the generation, and 95% of PC exclusives (I’m excepting stuff like Star Citizen, because who knows?), mostly due to the incredible expense of creating art assets with the level of fidelity we have here with current games. This is a great time to have a solid PC gaming rig, that’s for damn sure.

Slight tangent, but I even regret spending money on my PS4 - with the exception of Bloodbourne and Uncharted 4, I can’t think of anything that won’t be available on my PC to play? Assassin’s Creed Unity, Far Cry 4, hell even Metal Gear and I believe Final Fantasy XV will be on the PC! It bums me out, honestly, I wish I had a reason to blow the dust off my brand new console. :(

That describes every console purchase I’ve made, ever. Thankfully, so far I’ve learned my lesson this generation. Of course, the lesson I didn’t learn was to never buy an AMD/ATI video card again (just swapped out my R290 for a GTX 970 yesterday) so I’m out roughly the same amount of money. :D Oh well, one step at a time!

I came to this very conclusion just recently when contemplating a Xbox One. Looking at the list of releases the majority of them weren’t exclusive to consoles and the few that were you could never know if they might get a PC port down the line. In the end I bought a Wii U since you can pretty much guarantee that none of its exclusives will ever make it to PC!

So - the biggest disappointment to me with FC3 (the only one I played) was the complete lack of reward/surprise from exploration. I would run into a hidden cave and have no interest at all in exploring it, because I knew there would be absolutely nothing of interest within. A chest would have the same used meth pipe or fake cuban cigar that was in every other chest in every location in the FC3 world. I finished the game with the goal of being able to just freely explore - my favorite thing to do in an open world game - and realized I had no desire to explore.

That and the stupid missions that were more arcade game than anything else pretty much soured me on the game. Is there any hope that FC4 won’t just be more of the same?

TBD I think. It would be great if some of the difference between previous and current gen consoles showed up in less generic ‘event type X’ and ‘mission type Z’ design. But Ubisoft certainly haven’t advertised anything of the sort. Wouldn’t be surprised if the big RPGs stay the better place for that, especially now both Bioware and CD Projekt have got their Skyrim on.

I would not expect your experience to change in FC4.

Hmmmm… OK, CD Projekt’s “Skyrim” will be Witcher 3, what is Bioware’s?

DA3? Big areas.

That’s too bad. I enjoyed freestyle exploring, ambushing, and general Rambo-ing on the islands, becoming the pain in the ass to the Bad Guys a lot. Absolutely positively hated the main story missions. And the NPC missions were incredibly boring and lacking in any kind of imagination: Go find me 3 of each of these plants. Go kill these big lizards. I stopped doing them once I realized that what looked like an interesting NPC mission, such as our daughter ran away with her boyfriend in a Romeo and Juliet-ish manner ended up being go kill a bunch of lizards. Bleh.

Great concept, which frustrated me that much more when it was then populated with such horrible execution in terms of NPCs, story missions that were lazy arcade inserts (Run and jump to avoid the (fill in the blank) from falling down on you! A big build up on some secret underground facility that you explore and all you get is no explanation, just kill some guys so you can run and jump to avoid the caves from falling down on you) and explorable areas such as caves and tunnels that had absolutely nothing in them (unless you count the same fake cuban cigar and x rated video that you have seen 1000 times before as something to get excited over.)

Map is up on the web. I’ll probably get this during the first decent sale, I finished FC3 but pretty much hated the story / hunting / everything other than outpost takeovers and radio towers.

I didn’t mind the hunting so much except for Sharks, and the fact that they worked hard to gate upgrades via a tangled mess of hunting dependencies. Playing video games where I have to swim in water where sharks are always freaks me out. Still, there’s no denying the hunting felt tacked on next to outpost gameplay.

My gameplay complaint with Far Cry 3 was that most of the tattoo unlocks were really situational. Stuff like unlocking the ability to drop from a rooftop and kill a guy walking beneath you. I don’t think I ever actually used a lot of the skills I unlocked.

As for Far Cry 4, I’ll pick it up someday on sale. From what I’ve seen, it’s not really a huge leap from the previous game technologically or from a gameplay perspective. Clear enemy bases. Climb towers. Collect stuff.

I liked FC, really liked FC2, and found FC3 alternately entertaining and frustrating. In particular, I hated the near-QTE type set-piece moments where you had to run here, jump there, and do this or that, all within a set time limit, or start over that section. Ugh. Then again, I guess it’s too complicated or whatever to do games where, hey, if you don’t get to the car in time, they guy gets away and you have to deal with it some other way.