Far Cry 5 - Hope springs eternal

Both, I guess. There are tons of co-op games that are bad, but the Ubisoft formula didn’t feel as stale when I played Wildlands with friends.

My ranking would be Far Cry 2 (at the time, not sure it holds up as well today and I did try to play it a few months ago with less than stellar results), Far Cry 4 (loved it for some reason), Far Cry 5 (great environment and gunplay, arty and ambitious if horribly flawed ending, terrible story otherwise), Primal, Far Cry 1 (until the sci-fi stuff), and bringing up the rear Far Cry 3 (um, no redeeming features that I can remember).

I can’t understand this. Virtually every shooter has better “gunplay” than FC5. I picked up Titanfall 2 right after I finished FC5 and the gunplay in that blew me away. They felt so much better, more satisfying, with much better sounds. FC5 is flat, boring. The bow is also useless – a cardinal sin for FC.

I also don’t understand how you could rank FC4 first/second but FC3 last when they’re basically the same game.

Because the antagonist in 4 is funny and interesting, and the antagonist in 3 is flat, boring, and a silly caricature? At least, that’s how I see it. Also, the Himalayas > generic tropical islands ripped off from Far Cry 1.

The gunplay in FC 5 is fine, in my book, and I found it satisfying. I agree Titanfall 2 has great gunplay, but relative to the other Far Cry games, FC 5’s is at least as good as the best in that series IMO.

Far Cry 5’s story and entire conceit – all-out guerrilla war in fucking Montana, for chrissake – is a bunch of throwaway shite. However, the actual gameplay formula of roaming around Generic Mountain Wests/shooting bad guys in the face/Ubisoft iconfest wasn’t all that bad. In terms of shootiness, I’d put it somewhere between the Bethesda Fallouts (execrable) and Destiny 2.

I always find it funny that we compare the Far Cry 3-5 games as separate units, since they’re basically reskins of each other.

True, but those skins do make a difference. For me, 3 was awful and 4 was great, largely because the reskinning worked.

Ha. I thought 3 was good and 4 was dumb (except the voice acting was great).

Far Cry 5 was all about the co-op for me. Playing with my brother through the campaign was a blast. Being able to play the “main” game with the two of us together, rather than only some kind of special online option, made it completely worth playing.

I’m with JeffL. Loved playing with my kid coop…we are now playing off and on again on hardcore but somewhat burned out on it…really looking forward to the new one in February.

Think this is coming out on the same day as Metro Exodus.

Picked this up for $24 and after a few hours I’m really enjoying it. I haven’t played a shooter since. . .I’m not sure how long it’s been. . .and this game is gorgeous and so far a lot of fun.

John I did too. I wish I had vats atm because my aim sucks! But yeah this game is a lotta fun. And Boomer is a wicked cuddly dog!

It’s really great if you have a friend you can play co-op with.

I know the story is so completely over the top but it has be into the game. Creepy weirdo cultist ! Trying to destroy war memorials? I mean …. what the heck?

Bought it during the winter sale and just finished it. Great game and loved the experience. Even the story was good and I did not expect that ending to say the least. But i was forewarned. i wager if I had played it on release I would have had some harsh words to say about the cutscenes and the bliss bullet bullshit. But as I knew it was coming it made it a non issue.

I think that the Peggie Music was so good made me hate them even more. Damn fine music.

I know this was repeated over and over on release by many, but gosh I hate those torn-from-the-action cutscenes with the creepos talking about the cult etc. (John Seed etc) Some of them actually made me uncomfortable (though I imagine that was the purpose).

I am about halfway through and I just got “Peaches”. It is an amazing game, truly, almost more amazing (dare I say it?) than AC ody but with less personality with the protagonist. I love Bethesda open world games (not yet tried '76) but wow does this Ubisoft company know their open worldliness.

Imatarget you know you love the game music in a game when you are humming it AT the Target. Which I did today.

Peaches > Cheeseburger and Boomer

-Tom

Nick Rye > Everyone else

lol well, we shall see. I love Boomer’s super crazed ugliness. Cheese is a long ways off. But “Peaches”? – do cougars actually make those noises? Rowwwwrrrr! Those cats are scarey in this game.

The only problem with Peaches is all the “pussy” jokes from men, and all the crazy cat lady shit from women. I just ended up using peaches and boomer. If I was to use a human, it would have been nick rye. He was very useful in a bunch of situations.