Far Cry 5 - Hope springs eternal

I watched someone playing on Twitch and guess what he was doing? Climbing a tower. Apparently the formula didn’t change much. Maybe Ubi meant “less towers”?

I mean, there will still be actual towers in the game, vertical places you can climb (towers do exist in Montana) but they don’t have any gameplay benefit other than height advantage for sniping. Or did the player climbing that tower actually unlock something? I haven’t watched much footage, I’m going by this:

EDIT - There is one early tower that’s an in-joke, and after you climb it you are specifically told by the NPC buddy they won’t be making you climb towers all over Hope County. Is that what you saw, and maybe missed the dialog/joke?

That could of have been the only tower, I didn’t watch much of it. Could be like how Thief II has exactly two zombies in the entire game, as an inside joke to all the players who complained about too many zombies in the first game.

There are plenty of radio towers in this game. They are there for sniping, zip line access, and sometimes a collectible doodads is hidden at the top. Climbing towers just doesn’t unfog areas or unlock POIs like they used to.

Basically it’s similar to how AC:Origins devalued towers.

Its set in a fantasy version of the present day. Why cant I just look at my phone and get a nearly perfect map of the area?

Who’s got the best deal on this? Are the 3rd party resellers providing keys yet?

edit: hmmm I guess the “20% off with 100 Ubi Units” on the official store isn’t bad. Brings the price almost down to GMG’s level. Got to spend them on something…

Isn’t 20% off better than GMG? Last time I looked they only offered 10% off?

It is really weird how out of touch many forums and the press seem to be in the last couple of years with Ubisoft titles. Rainbow Six Siege, Assassin’s Creed Origins, The Division, Ghost Recon Wildlands, and even For Honor have all done really well for Ubisoft and yet I still see articles and forum posts suggesting that they’re underappreciated.

Ubisoft is completely killing it recently and I’m sure Far Cry 5 will be no exception.

Answering my own Q, Newegg actually has the Xbox digital gold edition for 10% off no code needed, so I bit on that.

Yes the Ubi discount percentage is higher, but GMG’s USD base price is a fair bit lower than the base price Ubi sets in local currency here in their store. :(

So it works out that Ubi is still like $2 more, even with 20% vs 10%.

I mean, literally, less than an hour after I posted about preloading not being there yet, it’s there.

Yeah I thought it was funny because I had literally just read it haha

I’m pretty sure the final level of the first Far Cry was in a volcano.

Wasn’t the original Far Cry the one with the weird mutant things in the end? I coulda taken a pass at that part. That game was a beach swimming simulator for me.

I like the idea of a Far Cry Fantasy, or a time travel one where you go back with modern day weapons and radios. Kind of an Ass Creed Far Cry mashup.

I am in on day one, I bought the ULTIMATE 'MERICAN EDITION 🇺🇸

Yes, and the mutants were so dumb they made sure to make the same mistake again in Crysis.

But man, the parts of the game stalking humans on a wide open island were great. That kind of gameplay is what made me so happy when I discovered Sniper Elite.

PSA: I just clicked on that link and got a pop-up (no doubt fraudulent) about my Moto G5 Plus phone being compromised by a virus. I managed to hit the back button and close the tab, but be careful, all.

EDIT: Not a Twitter link.

Gold edition purchased and pre-loading now. I can’t wait for the unlock.

Tom is streaming it on Twitch right now. https://www.twitch.tv/tomchick